Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Jun 8, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #1,397 of 2,483

Quote:
Nickchen, since I literally have two left hands, do you also perform the mod on provided MS1i's/MS1's for members?

Yes...I did that quite often indeed...
cool.gif

Quote:
reiserFS said:

Do I also need to provide the GS1000 pads myself?

I principally prefer it not to act as man of straw in respect of organizing of the Jumbos. However, if someone is completely incapable of that and really desperate, I do the dummy sometimes, provided I don't have to advance the money on loan.

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #1,398 of 2,483

Quote:
I just ordered MS1i and i'm ready to join your team. Thanks for the excellent first post :)

You're welcome.
smile.gif
  Sit down, take a cooky...

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #1,399 of 2,483
Thanks to nickchen for this great mod!  I've been making up a bunch of distancers using different woods to see if I could hear any differences between types.  So far I've tried cherry, teak and mahogany.  
All of them sound fantastic with my MS1's with only very subtle differences noticed.  Cherry is slightly brighter, teak darker, and mahogany the most balanced (probably all psychological, but it's still fun to play with these things!)
Thanks again nickchen for giving my MS1's the soundstage I've always craved for these phones.

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #1,400 of 2,483

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsorens /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cherry is slightly brighter, teak darker, and mahogany the most balanced (probably all psychological, but it's still fun to play with these things!)

I guess minor sound differences rather result from slight dimension differences than from different wood prosperties.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #1,403 of 2,483
Here are mine (made for easy attachment).

The prototype:
-plastic sweetener tube (inner diameter is exactly 40mm)
-carton from empty candy box (four layers to make 2mm thick rings)
-plain paper sheets (paper stripes are rolled and glued over sweetner tube - they will give the needed outer diameter and make distancer rigid).

I tried 12.7mm and 14mm and decided for more airness.

Aluminium distancers:

Add coffee filter sheets and fleece and we have another happy headphier.

Thanks for the mod!

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #1,404 of 2,483
Mine 30€ plus shipping.

Jun 18, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #1,406 of 2,483
To all those who bought distancers from me recently: Try using them without the final black felt cover, I have come to the conclusion that the felt plate I equipped your distancers with tends to weaken the bass performance, which isn't exactly to be desired.

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #1,407 of 2,483
I am very seriously looking into turning m MS-1i into an MS-1000i. The only thing that I'm wondering about is whether I should go for the standard 14mm distancers or the shortened 11.5mm distancers as most of my music is blues and rock (Eric Clapton, Grateful Dead) with just a bit of progressive rock thrown in (YES, Renaissance). For anyone who may listen to similar genres of music and has done the mod, does the full 14mm distancer take away from that magical thing that the stock MS-1i does with blues/rock at all? And if so, is the 11.5mm distancer a decent compromise?

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #1,408 of 2,483
I don't listen to rock and blues, but I can tell you that the sheer tonality and emotion is totally similar with both versions. The only difference is the size of the soundscape, the 11,5 mm ones provide more "pub feeling".

-----------

@ justass:
beerchug.gif

Jun 19, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #1,410 of 2,483

Users who are viewing this thread

Back