Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Oct 2, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #2,191 of 2,483

Quote:
These look amazing: (original post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/323271/alessandro-ms1000-and-ms-ultimate-diy-modding-56k-warning/2010#post_7351025 )

Nick, if you don't mind could you share the measurments for this type of cup, I like the design and would like to get some made while I'm down there also. Looks like it was made in 2 parts though am I right?

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #2,192 of 2,483
It was made out of three parts - the main housing & the linden ring, and the outer ring in front of the grille. To be honest, I do not have concrete dimensions that I stick to, and I do not remember who got those special ones you've quoted, it's a while back already.

The dimensions of such housings generally depend from what I get safely out of the wood, it depends from how things simply look, and also from the wishes of the respective customer. A good point to start is to choose the main sound chamber's outer diameter as inner diameter for the inner 2 parts. The inner deepening of the outer ring should be less of course, in order to provide a ridge where you can glue the grille on later. Wall thickness of the wooden rings you turn should be at least 2 mm in order to avoid cracks.

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #2,195 of 2,483
Oct 20, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #2,196 of 2,483
Ms1k stolen by gf... Soon she ordered a pair of AD900, point is that now she is beginning to comment on sounds with the audiophile glossary. And I have to see her to get a listen of my ms1000

They go heads up with the HD580 that I own. This is really an amazing mod. The soundstage is comparable if not larger than the 701 (ok 701 was very precise, instrument pinpointing was like a laser beam compared to the spot light of the ms1000 but still). The bass produced is wonderful. I must get it back to do some more critical listening after completing my E7/9 -> HD580 set.

Oct 21, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #2,198 of 2,483
5. it was too hard for me to find divide the area perfectly for 4 so I poked every second hole.

I had seven when I ran them without distancers and with taped bowls, but had to close two after 1000 mod.

How would the AD900 fair against the rest of my inventory? I don't want to see her upset but I eagerly want my ms1000 back

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #2,199 of 2,483
The distancers were very easy to make in the US--

1.5 inch ABS pipe, cut ~15mm long
1.5 inch coupling (a few)
ABS cement
sticky tac
presto felt
sandpaper
measurement
3 x 1/16 inch vents in the distancers

I have a radial arm saw which made the process easier, but you could easily slice through with a handsaw if you wanted.

Cut the pipe close to your target, and sand them to the spacer length you want. This is the entire spacer.

Slice the coupling to make the rim of the spacer. Ideally you want this to be just big enough to hold the pad on your spacer. For size reference, look at the rim of your headphone and try to make it that width. Sand to preference, but hopefully you cut it right the first time.

Place the rim on the spacer, set it straight, apply ABS cement, and you have a spacer.

I used prestofelt to line the inside, cut three 1/16 inch holes and applied to MS1i with sticky tac.

It is really super easy, it took me probably 90 minutes and cost about 12 dollars. I purchased all items at the home depot in one trip. I just wanted to let people know they can do it.

and the headphones sound amazing by the way.

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #2,200 of 2,483
This thread has now outlasted all of my relationships.
eek.gif

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #2,201 of 2,483
Yep, but I guess we are way beyond the climax meanwhile...

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #2,202 of 2,483
I'm still actively enjoying the mod and will be for years to come, so you don't hear me complaining :)

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #2,203 of 2,483

Quote:
The distancers were very easy to make in the US--

1.5 inch ABS pipe, cut ~15mm long
1.5 inch coupling (a few)
ABS cement
sticky tac
presto felt
sandpaper
measurement
3 x 1/16 inch vents in the distancers

I have a radial arm saw which made the process easier, but you could easily slice through with a handsaw if you wanted.

Cut the pipe close to your target, and sand them to the spacer length you want. This is the entire spacer.

Slice the coupling to make the rim of the spacer. Ideally you want this to be just big enough to hold the pad on your spacer. For size reference, look at the rim of your headphone and try to make it that width. Sand to preference, but hopefully you cut it right the first time.

Place the rim on the spacer, set it straight, apply ABS cement, and you have a spacer.

I used prestofelt to line the inside, cut three 1/16 inch holes and applied to MS1i with sticky tac.

It is really super easy, it took me probably 90 minutes and cost about 12 dollars. I purchased all items at the home depot in one trip. I just wanted to let people know they can do it.

and the headphones sound amazing by the way.

Yep, a good way. Try to be as close to the 40mm as possible though...

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #2,204 of 2,483
The pipe I purchased was slightly out of tolerance and measured in at 41mm. With the felt I would say it is right where it should be.

1.5inches~38mm, just sand to width or buy at the right size, nothing is perfect.

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #2,205 of 2,483
I was in contact with Jaben Australia and got the premade MS1000 from them, comes with a case too, I'll see how that goes.

Although I also have a set of pink distancers within my inventory when I ordered them from the Jaben online store back in Singapore. :p  So I might buy another MS1 then buy aftermarket drivers or something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back