AKG new headphone K545?
Jul 9, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #1,441 of 1,753
I really doubt they're better.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #1,443 of 1,753
  Hi guys, hate to bring up this again if its already been covered by how do the K545's compare to the B&W P7's & or the Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6. In the market for a new pair of headphones and i can't decided on what to get!

Actually, there is a lot of stuff that is surprising between the P7 and K545.  For starters, bass level.  The P7, despite it being a bass heavy phone has a tighter bass response that doesn't have as large as a body in contrast to the K545.  This was probably the most surprising thing that I found about the two, I was expecting the AKG to have a smaller body than the P7.  I will say, however, that the AKG does have better depth and sub-bass presence, though both texture well. 

In the midrange, the P7 are a lot more dynamic overall...  But this is achieved through coloration unfortuantely.  They are warm with a nice focus on the upper mids to give them a bit of energy.  This does, however, make vocals a little thicker than they should be.  The K545 give a more linear sound overall offering good dynamics still, but have a warmer sound overall in the midrange, but handle vocal dynamics much better than the P7. 

Up in the treble, the AKG's treble is more apparent than the B&W's.  They do tend to get a little edgy at times, but the trade off is that you get better presence.  That said, the P7 has a softer treble texture in contrast to the K545.  Though both do a fine job detailing and offering good separation and clarity and extending up top, so really no issues there. 

When people say that the P7 is bassy or overly warm, it's actually due to the treble quantity IMO, not the actual bass, though it is rounded towards the low-to-mid bass regions. 

Unfortuantely, I haven't listened to the B&O H6 objectively.  I have heard it, but wasn't listening objectively (I probably should have) in my 5 minute audition at the Apple Store. 

I really doubt they're better.

Doubt? 

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #1,446 of 1,753
I wrote up a comparison over the Macedonian hero's thread on the K545 and the other headphones you listed. I personally did not think the other two were better just different and with the price difference felt the K545 a better value.

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #1,447 of 1,753

Sounds pretty good with a nice polite overall sound.
Soundstage good.
Bass is a bit too neutral so far.

Both the Onkyo 300& vmoda m100 are on the more aaggressively bassier side.
While the Akg Has an overall sweeter polite sound with a bit more "air"
Amazing lack of sibilance as well..

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #1,448 of 1,753
More notes. ..
TThe soundstage in the trebles area is more like the ed8 and also a little of the Focal Spirit pro combined, although on a lesser scale,
I would say 2/3 the size, which is still easily above average soundstage for this size can.
As those other two are among the tops in soundstage.
Leaving a very nice presentation and a beauty to the sound. .

Makes up for the tame but extended bass ..
Which also has depth to it so that's a good thing.

I would say this can has a quality sound. .
And soundstage for its size with overall balanced sound is its strengths.
That, and it does nothing wrong in my view.
:)

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #1,449 of 1,753
Update
I have experienced that I was able to make out a "word" in a song that I never figured out what was said..
I have to credit this to the akg k545 balanced and clear upper trebles.

The can has an actual high degree of detail or clarity in the upper regions..

Also the seemingly lack of bass for me was actually due to the poor padding and stiffness of the stock pads..

Pressing down and adjusting made the bass fill in..

The ear cup size seems almost a bit small for my ears but the real problem is the stiffness of the pads..

The only flaw to the sweet clear detailed signature is what I perceived as a slight thinness to the upper mids..
Which I believe the pads could have corrected. .
Otherwise this can would be a home run.

These cans seem pretty neutral so,
For more intense or fun sound I would go for the Onkyo300.

But issues aside I am using these akg because they can be used longer periods without any tiredness or fatigue. .

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #1,450 of 1,753
Try the Shure SRH750 pads on K545.

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #1,451 of 1,753
Jul 16, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #1,452 of 1,753
I recently bought the HM5 pads after using this headphone for about 10 months as the stock pads didn't have enough depth and stuff (and also a cyst in my ear cartilage that might have been caused by the shallow ear pads lol). The HM5 pads do give you a noticeably larger soundstage and much better comfort, but quieter sound (probably caused by the extra space between ear and driver), a thinner sound (might have been the soundstage), but most importantly, the pads in my experience caused to sound to become much shriller and quite fatiguing. I nearly winced every time a singer made a S/CH/ffff sound (I'm looking at you, Vampire Weekend) with the HM5 pads. So unfortunately I'll be going back to the stock ones.

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #1,453 of 1,753
Try the Shure SRH750 pads on K545.

I just spent a few days on the Shure pads...
Just like you said..

And I have to say..
BEST ADVICE ever for this can!
OMG this 545 turned into a sonic monster!
It easily places itself in the upper end of mid tier portable cans!
Wow the sonics are just great!
Bass is sooo impressive now!
It easily wins over the m100 in texture and full scale.
This k545 with the Shure pads give it a larger better signature sound.
Bass tracks that would make a bass can sweat,the akg now does with ease and texture.
Very impressive that the sound is still so balanced.
The whole spectrum seems to benefit as well although the can seems to sound substantially different in signature so I have to comment after I burn them in a few more days to be certain,
But already I feel it is a superior can now, over both the Onkyo 300 and the vmoda m100 and my tiny Mikros90.
It is pretty surprising can to perform so well at this price point.
:)

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #1,454 of 1,753
Over the Mikros90 and M100, huh? Nice to know.

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #1,455 of 1,753
I just spent a few days on the Shure pads...
Just like you said..

And I have to say..
BEST ADVICE ever for this can!
OMG this 545 turned into a sonic monster!
It easily places itself in the upper end of mid tier portable cans!
Wow the sonics are just great!
Bass is sooo impressive now!
It easily wins over the m100 in texture and full scale.
This k545 with the Shure pads give it a larger better signature sound.
Bass tracks that would make a bass can sweat,the akg now does with ease and texture.
Very impressive that the sound is still so balanced.
The whole spectrum seems to benefit as well although the can seems to sound substantially different in signature so I have to comment after I burn them in a few more days to be certain,
But already I feel it is a superior can now, over both the Onkyo 300 and the vmoda m100 and my tiny Mikros90.
It is pretty surprising can to perform so well at this price point.
smily_headphones1.gif

Can you post pictures as to how these pads compare with the stock pad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back