AKG new headphone K545?
Jun 30, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,428 of 1,753
  It's hard to explain because I'm not familiar with all these "audiophile things". And manually adding bass with fiio doesn't help... I've read here about fiio E11 and since I'm looking for something under $100, would you recommend?

You are not getting much bass?  Or perhaps the quality is lacking for your taste then?  I wasn't as fond of K545's bass in the beginning myself until I replaced the original ear pads with SRH750 pads (google search HPAEC750).
I doubt that an amplifier is the solution, unless you really want a lot more bass, then perhaps K545 wasn't the right choice in the first place.  Or if you want the bass to thump harder, again, K545 might not have been the right choice.

Jun 30, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #1,429 of 1,753

The one that's most commonly used for mods is the one on the first link. I assume that all three would actually work. The velour one seems kinda interesting actually, they might be good for warmer days.

The thicker one actually sounds pretty appealing as well. I should save these links.

Are Velour pads more comfortable? I have no experience w/ these things. I'm looking for something that is more comfortable for long hours. My ears seem to be touching the inside of my stock K545.

Jun 30, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #1,430 of 1,753
Velours are more comfortable and breathable.  They will definitely change the sound, probably not for the better.

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #1,431 of 1,753

Are Velour pads more comfortable? I have no experience w/ these things. I'm looking for something that is more comfortable for long hours. My ears seem to be touching the inside of my stock K545.

Well yeah they will change it. It really depends from headphone to headphone though. A common MDR 7506 and ATH M50 mod is to replace them with velour pads. I admit I haven't heard the 7506 and only a little of the M50 but I do own a HD598 (which is a open headphone, not closed... I'm not really making a good case for me am I.) which does have velour pads.

With velour pads, you will have the least amount of isolation meaning you'd effectively convert a portable/home headphone to purely home use. Due to the cloth like material of the pads, bass also tends to have less impact as more of the lower frequencies dissipate through the material instead of traveling along it. Following the same reasoning, you will also have some sound leakage. Regardless, most people make the upgrade to the velour pads largely for comfort reasons; either the pads heat up against the side of the head causing sweat or there might be too much pressure from the earcups. Velour pads are great to use during the summer (if not all seasons) and they don't squish up against your head like pleather pads do (of course this is largely dependent on the pressure the headband exerts, beyers are notorious for their tight headbands permanently compressing the pads after a couple months of use) and instead they neatly sit on top. The comfort of velours means that you can use a headphone for hours on end because you don't get the same fatigue that you get from pleather pads.

Velour pads are also requires more maintenance than pleather pads do. They accumulate dust at a noticeable rate and they also absorb odors due to the material they're made out of. Many people recommend light hand washing with unscented soap once every 1-2 months to increase the lifespan of the pads.

As for people who wear glasses, velour padded headphones are really great because unlike pleather pads which require a seal to sound consistent, velour pads are more dependent on driver to ear distance to sound consistent and therefore having glasses to disrupt a seal will not change the sound in a noticible way.

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #1,432 of 1,753

You are not getting much bass?  Or perhaps the quality is lacking for your taste then?  I wasn't as fond of K545's bass in the beginning myself until I replaced the original ear pads with SRH750 pads (google search HPAEC750).
I doubt that an amplifier is the solution, unless you really want a lot more bass, then perhaps K545 wasn't the right choice in the first place.  Or if you want the bass to thump harder, again, K545 might not have been the right choice.

Yeah it's my taste I think...It sounds great if you listen classical music, but for electronic I'm not satisfied. It doesn't give the goosebumps :) (PS:All songs are flac/wav)
Anyway, thanks for the response guys, I'll continue my "research" :)

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #1,433 of 1,753
Just a follow up on my previous post about the K545s from eBay-- they are authentic as far as I can tell. Everything looked legit, but to confirm I took off the earpad and the driver matches the picture that was posted earlier in the thread.

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #1,434 of 1,753
Great, enjoy your headphone!

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #1,436 of 1,753
I just bought me a pair of K545 heaphones yesterday. I'm putting them through the ringer today and I am enjoying them. They are also comfy and the comfort reminds me of my M50 but lighter. I also like the look of them.

I was debating between the the Vmoda M100 or the HP50. The M100 are great if like the feel of bass. I preferred the look of the K545 over the HP50 but never got a chance to demo them. I am happy and like the overall sound of these cans. They will primarily be my work headphone being powered off of my Fiio e17. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #1,438 of 1,753
Pull them off starting from an edge.  It's just like most headphone earpads.

Then, "screw" the HM5 pads on with the help of a notch that you will see on the edge of the baffle face.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #1,440 of 1,753
Hi guys, hate to bring up this again if its already been covered by how do the K545's compare to the B&W P7's & or the Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6. In the market for a new pair of headphones and i can't decided on what to get!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back