AKG new headphone K545?
Jul 24, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #1,456 of 1,753

Can you post pictures as to how these pads compare with the stock pad?

The Shure pads are slightly larger in outer circumference, slightly smaller in inner circumference, and slightly thinner than the stock pads but the sponge material isn't as soft so it doesn't squish as much as the stock pads.

I decided to do this in the first place because:

1.  In my experience, the inner side of earpads needs to always be stiff and smooth.  Being too soft dampens the sound without any benefit, only detriment.  Texture and wrinkles hurt the bass and soundstaging, they also hurt the treble and midrange to a lesser extent.

2.  I had the pads on hand already.  =p

I speculate that texture/wrinkles affect the air flow much like the earth's friction with the atmosphere cripples a hurricane.  Softness causes loss in clarity and detail, and soundstaging suffers as well; I imagine the reason why is because of energy from the sound being absorbed.
The Shure pads have a more firm and smooth inner side, that is why the sound improves.
Back when I had T50RP, I stiffened the inner side of the earpads with six coats of plasti-dip to achieve similar results.  Same with MDR-7509HD and V700DJ, 7509 showed the most drastic improvement in sound.  I would do it to my other headphones, but none of them need it or I simply cannot do it to some them like DTX501 or my modified Momentum On-Ear because the inner side is a breathable fabric rather than solid pleather, so coating them would muffle and kill the sound.
When I had IEMs, I would stiffen the eartip tubes with plasti-dip, which would give similar improvements as well.

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #1,458 of 1,753
I think 750 pads are slightly less comfortable.  Isolation seems the same to me, but note that I bent the headband on my 545 for a more snug fit.

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #1,462 of 1,753
  Sorry man. 

Im afraid to make a mistake. Can you help me out with more detail please?

best regards

Rodrigo

Pull, starting from an edge, like this. The earpads are just like any other, except for having a plastic ring in them - to avoid damaging it, just don't bend the headband as if you are very angry or want to stuff them inside your mouth, lol.  To reattach them or any other similar pad like the Shure pads mentioned in this thread, just screw the pads back on with the help of the small notch that you will see towards one side of the cup.
Edit: the notch is shown here

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #1,463 of 1,753

Pull, starting from an edge, like this. The earpads are just like any other, except for having a plastic ring in them - to avoid damaging it, just don't bend the headband as if you are very angry or want to stuff them inside your mouth, lol.  To reattach them or any other similar pad like the Shure pads mentioned in this thread, just screw the pads back on with the help of the small notch that you will see towards one side of the cup.
Edit: the notch is shown here

Hi Mad Max.

First, thanks for your time!

But im still a bit confused.

Please have a look in my photo: http://cl.ly/image/111g272B3l0w

You are talking to detach from the red point, right?

IF yes, there is a glue i guess..

tks a lot!!

:)

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #1,464 of 1,753

Hi Mad Max.

First, thanks for your time!

But im still a bit confused.

Please have a look in my photo: http://cl.ly/image/111g272B3l0w

You are talking to detach from the red point, right?

IF yes, there is a glue i guess..

tks a lot!!

:)

The blue mark is the right place.

Edit:

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,467 of 1,753
I found the headband very comfortable due to its flat wide design.

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #1,468 of 1,753
Wide and well-padded.
In my opinion anyway.

But who knows, someone may think it sucks.  ljokerl finds the CAL!2's comfort awesome, and I find its headband very uncomfortable and under-padded.  Others think that HD8 DJ's comfort is great, while I scavenged an HD280 headband pad to add to mine because the stock headband's corners dig into my head.

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #1,470 of 1,753
I've owned the K545 for several months now and recently decided to try out the Brainwavz HM5 thick pads from mp4nation.net. 

As you can see these are MONSTER pads, being roughly as wide as the stock pads and a lot longer. Still, they slip on easily and are secure thanks to the deep lips on the back of the pads. Here's the right earpad vs. the stock K545 earpad:

There is way more space inside the Brainwavz pads and the soundstage is noticably wider, but SPL is reduced slightly and the treble is more emphasized than with the stock pads. The treble response is also more uneven, with a lot of ups and downs after 2kHz, versus the stock pads where the drop from 3-5k is fairly smooth before rising up again from 7-8.5k. Bass response is similar but isn't as skull-crushing at higher volumes because of the extra distance between driver and ear.

The HM5 pads are a worthwhile alternative if you find your ears being squished by the stock pads, but otherwise, the increase in comfort will probably not outweigh the adverse effects the pads have on the K545's sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back