AKG new headphone K545?
Jan 3, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #767 of 1,753
  Quick update:
For people with big ears like me this cans can get uncomfortable quickly. I can't stand the for more than 45 min. 
confused_face.gif

Definitely go for the HM5 pads.

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #769 of 1,753
Yes make sure you order 2 as they are singles

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #776 of 1,753
I went back and looked at my review of the akg compared to the others... after more time with the akg k545 I maintain my opinion of them only that I would have emphasized that dry is not a bad thing. Also I think the word dry has a bad connotation but it just means lean... like when i record vocals without reverb which is clean and accurate in decay but not as natural sounding sometimes. These still sound somewhat natural but are less so than the hp's that have that reverb effect. I still hold to that opinion but it is not overly so and again not a bad thing.

I have also decided not to sell it because when I want a drier and cleaner more refined sound this scratches that itch. I need to try even drier headphones to get my bearings straight. I should have added that it sounds refined and that that is what it has on its side. 

Also I don't like it right out of an iPod that much though its okay and enjoyable... I keep wanting to plug it into an amp.

I think that a fiio product, usually powerful with a heavy low end and warm darker sound... might pair well with this... but I am not sure. Fiio x3 will be here soon. Also maybe an analog sounding tube amp may work as well. I feel like I haven't heard their potential. I just sold a lot of my gear because I am sticking with dynamics and I am itching to try a better DAC and amp with these.

Also these take a lot to start distorting, they hold their composure without breaking a sweat at high volumes which I am guilty of enjoying for a song or two a day before turning it down to safe listening levels. The other headphone I recall being good like that is the German maestro bmp 8.35d.

At this point I am imagining this hp to be scalable or at least much more than the momentum which has no benefit from any amping almost at all.

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #777 of 1,753
That is as good a description of dry I have read Grizzlybeast :) i would agree with that assessment for the most part. I hear a bit of reverb with these but for me it sounds more natural than headphones with more. But I also have times where I appreciate more reverb as well, but for the most part appreciate how the K545 sounds. I find the K545 splits the difference between the K550 and other headphones with more reverb just about perfectly.

I also agree 100% with your thoughts on the K545's scalability and am glad you have decided to keep them.

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #780 of 1,753
I'm very tempted to buy these as I'm looking for something to compliment my V Moda M100's. Found someone who is willing to sell these for about $225 unopened in box.

Could someone tell if these are indeed a nice addition to a M100 headphone and in what way do they compare favorably to the V Moda's? Also, is it easy to find more comfortable earpads for the 545 as I've read about some issues with the pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back