AKG new headphone K545?
Jan 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #797 of 1,753
  As a newcomer to the audiophile world here I still don't have an amp. So would you still say the akg k545 sounds better un-amped compared to the momentum? The momentum is only 18ohms which I know is low, but is 32ohms still low enough to be un-amped? 
I also wasn't very impressed with the momentum's isolation, is the k545 better in this aspect?

yes it still sounds better unamped.

isolation is on par with momentum

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #798 of 1,753
  You can physically try to tighten the clamp of the head band.

How? I saw something on it on the site and I tried with my k550 without convincing results...

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #799 of 1,753
  yes it still sounds better unamped.

isolation is on par with momentum

Personally I still found isolation slightly better on the momentum, but the difference is not huge. And it is perhaps because of my problem clamping the K545.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #800 of 1,753
tT6z3z

just picked these up several days ago and have a hard time putting them down, just the right sound.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #801 of 1,753
well I took the plunge and should receive them some time next week. Pretty good deal as well imo, $210 including shipping, that's almost $150 cheaper than buying them from an online shop here in Europe.

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #802 of 1,753
Good price, I think you will like them :)

If not you should be able to flip them easily enough.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #803 of 1,753
Hi all!  Long time lurker first time poster here.

I recently got a pair of these while on a trip to Japan (they're not available in Hong Kong yet).  I've had IEMs and On-Ears before but this is my first pair of AKG, so I just have some questions...

I've spent about 20 hours with these, using an iPhone 5S unamped with EQ set to Flat.

a) While these sound great, with vocals really standing out, I can't help but feeling like the rest of the music (ie instruments/effects, non-vocal parts) are so far away.  Does this improve with burning in?

b) I'm not into thumping, hip-hop-like bass, but I'm into more..."engaging" bass?  Not sure what the right word is.  But on Nirvana/Foo Fighter-ish tracks I find the drums somewhat lacking punch - the best way I can describe it is as if the drummer didn't eat his breakfast and has no energy.  Does this also improve with time? 

Thanks in advance!

(also, sorry about all the non-audiophile descriptions, because not too familiar with those terms and don't want to confuse anyone)

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #804 of 1,753
What have yo u been using for headphones and IEM's? You might be used to a more V shaped signature.

Also are you getting a good fit?

For me no instrument feels far away with drum kits coming across as vibrant and alive. But the bass while full and deep is not as heavy as some headphones. It is heavier than most AKG headphones but lighter than phones like Beats etc.

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #806 of 1,753
  Hi all!  Long time lurker first time poster here.

I recently got a pair of these while on a trip to Japan (they're not available in Hong Kong yet).  I've had IEMs and On-Ears before but this is my first pair of AKG, so I just have some questions...

I've spent about 20 hours with these, using an iPhone 5S unamped with EQ set to Flat.

a) While these sound great, with vocals really standing out, I can't help but feeling like the rest of the music (ie instruments/effects, non-vocal parts) are so far away.  Does this improve with burning in?

b) I'm not into thumping, hip-hop-like bass, but I'm into more..."engaging" bass?  Not sure what the right word is.  But on Nirvana/Foo Fighter-ish tracks I find the drums somewhat lacking punch - the best way I can describe it is as if the drummer didn't eat his breakfast and has no energy.  Does this also improve with time? 

Thanks in advance!

(also, sorry about all the non-audiophile descriptions, because not too familiar with those terms and don't want to confuse anyone)

as far as what you are talking about I don't think burn in will change that about the hp.

I love them for some a lot of songs and use the fiio x3 to give them more oomph but these have a clean and polite sound with a very present midrange, decent bass volume, and good treble but as far as dynamics go and attack these aren't that punchy of a headphone. 

They aren't going to improve in those areas, maybe with amping, though I wouldn't describe them as distant they aren't the hp for smack and punch. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #807 of 1,753
What have yo u been using for headphones and IEM's? You might be used to a more V shaped signature.

Also are you getting a good fit?

For me no instrument feels far away with drum kits coming across as vibrant and alive. But the bass while full and deep is not as heavy as some headphones. It is heavier than most AKG headphones but lighter than phones like Beats etc.

in the past mostly UEs for IEM and B&W P5 for headphone.  fit is great though, very comfortable.  thanks for the comments!  gonna give it another few days and see.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #808 of 1,753
The P5 in particular will be bass heavy in comparison and depending on which UE IEM's your used to they will likely be V shaped (strong bass and treble with recessed or neutral mids) as compared to the K545 which is a shallow / shape.

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #809 of 1,753
Had a chance to audition these today at a local store. Source was my Note 2 using the Neutron music player and I agree these are very nice and quite airy for a closed headphone. They respond very well to EQing and definitely will scale with a higher quality source. Comfort is very good (for me) and they are pretty light too. The cable, although relatively thin, seems to be of adequate quality as well. Don't care much for the white ones but the darker variants all look very nice.

Might have bought them but their price in the EU is still way too high atm. Around 250 Euros/340 Dollars.
Which makes perfect sense as the AKG HQ is only a few miles from where I live....
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #810 of 1,753
Surely then they would be cheaper? Anyways.

I listen to spotify a lot now but the quality only goes up to 360kbps. With the K545 does anyone know if a lossless song is distinguishable from this or is the difference negligible?

On a side note, I read that the Q701 has a cable made of 99.9% metal with few impurities. Does this make a difference in the sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back