AKG new headphone K545?
Dec 30, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #737 of 1,753
I agree with the sound stage being larger but disagree with the notion the K550 has more details. It may appear to have more detail because of its brighter tone and larger peak in the upper mids/lower treble but when listened critically the sound was there with both headphones. But that is just my take.

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #738 of 1,753
I agree with the sound stage being larger but disagree with the notion the K550 has more details. It may appear to have more detail because of its brighter tone and larger peak in the upper mids/lower treble but when listened critically the sound was there with both headphones. But that is just my take.

+1

its easier to confuse brighter for more details. listen for the low level noises.

like a brighter tv doesn't mean higher resolution the same concept applies.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #740 of 1,753
Look back in the thread, there is a link for buying the HM5 pads which work apparently. Better seal and thicker from what I remember reading.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #741 of 1,753
Look back in the thread, there is a link for buying the HM5 pads which work apparently. Better seal and thicker from what I remember reading.

hey could someone who owns these take some pictures of the earpad measurements & post it here? i feel like this is a pretty great resource.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones/15

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #743 of 1,753
I think I'm the only one using them, at least that I've seen on here. The real benefit to me is they fit entirely around my ears, so they're more comfortable and getting a good seal is not fiddley. But the stock pads feel very nice so if your ears fit well in them I don't think I'd bother.

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #744 of 1,753
Newb here... I just picked these up several days ago and have a hard time putting them down, just the right sound! I recently picked up the JVC HA-S500 and while they sound really good for their price range, I found them really closed in and an almost in-your-face type sound stage, which led me to keep looking for another portable. So far these 545's have been the sound signature I'm after. I've been burning them in when not using them since opening the box. 

Question, right now I'm running an E17 dac off a Mac Mini, 320kb files. This combination sounds pretty decent, though I've thought about possibly adding an E09K to the mix. Anyone recommend this or should I look at another amp/dac? 

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #745 of 1,753
I enjoy my Audioengine D1 but am not sure how it stacks up against the E17 or E09K so will et others chime in. But what you have now may be good enough :)

Jan 1, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #746 of 1,753
I havent found anything on amazon that fits these measurements :frowning2: 20mm thickness is just too shallow.

AKG K545 - Circular Earpads Measurements 

Earpad
Inner Diameter (Of Pad) - 74mm
Inner Diameter - 85mm
Outer Diameter (Of headphone) - 86mm
Outer Diameter (Of the pad itself) - 90mm 
Thickness - 20mm

Pictures:

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #747 of 1,753
@Martinrm, you should look into the Sony MDR-1R, their driver slant with your ears to give the back of your ears 22m of clearance.

edit: the MDR-1Rs are the most comfortable pair of over-ear portables I have ever tried.

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #749 of 1,753
While I agree the MDR1R are comfortable he might have a similar issue because they are not very deep cushion wise and some people have reported issues with their ears touching the drivers. More importantly they have a significantly different sound signature if he really likes the K545 sound.

The Brainwavz HM5 pads look to be deeper keeping the drivers away from the ears and are supposed to be a bit more circumaural. There is a link back near the 1st third of the thread for the ear pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back