AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Apr 24, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #2,357 of 3,395
Best bass, or most bass?

Best =/= most

Most bass would go to the many, many bass heavy cans out there in the world.

The LCD2's bass is natural, incredibly deep, and meaty, without truly being emphasized. If you want the MOST bass while still being refined overall, I'd say that belongs to the Denon D7000s out of the ones I have heard. That's a party happening next to your ears.

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #2,358 of 3,395
I know -- I work as a sound engineer :wink:
Thats why I said 'for my private listening': I don't want to have more in my signal path than absolutely necessary.

I agree, everytime I activate any sound processor, be it foobar eq, TV's 'vocal enhance', Max volume, or whatever you call it, I know the sound always become less smooth, or harsher.

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #2,359 of 3,395
OK, I have had my Annies for a day now.  I listened to them all evening yesterday.  I am finding the bass somewhat lacking and the soundstage not quite as good as I was expecting.  What is a good burn-in for these?   Will a proper burn-in improve the bass and soundstage?  Also, if I am burning them with bass raised in the EQ, will it have an impact on how the drivers settle in the end?

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #2,361 of 3,395
His name is BassMan...

With a name like that, no wonder you don't find the Annie to have enough bass. These are well balanced headphones, not bass heavy.

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #2,362 of 3,395
Well, I demoed the HD 650 and thought the bass was just right with those.  The bass is not as satisfying here.  The sub bass of the ANnies sounds good, but when you start approaching the mid bass it does not sound very rich.

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #2,363 of 3,395
That's because the HD650 is mid bass heavy. The Annie is more fleshed out and linear in the bass. The 650 doesn't touch the Annie's sub bass.

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #2,364 of 3,395
I am definitely looking for a balanced sound.  I do love bass of course, but not at the expense of the mids and highs.  So far my initial impression for the Annie is great mids and highs and lacking mid bass.  I felt the HD 650 had good bass and mids, but lacking highs.

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #2,366 of 3,395
I am definitely looking for a balanced sound.  I do love bass of course, but not at the expense of the mids and highs.  So far my initial impression for the Annie is great mids and highs and lacking mid bass.  I felt the HD 650 had good bass and mids, but lacking highs.

If someone makes a graph, I'm certain the mid bass is right on par with the mids. You're just used to a mid bass hump (which is fine, I normally do too).

If you could ever afford it, the LCD2 is what you'd want. Bass is linear but amazing and full, mids are amazing, and treble is better than the HD650's treble.

Oh, but soundstage is definitely not on par.

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #2,367 of 3,395
Well, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my AKGs were returned by Harman today!

I looked at the packing slip to see what they did, and I saw this:

"Faults Reported: RIGHT SIDE IS OUT - warranty resolder
 Action Taken:  resoldered wire." 

What? Right side is "OUT"?? 
confused.gif
  Um....Nooo?
That was an immediate red flag.  That's not what the problem was.  And how is resoldering a WIRE going to help fix a physically rattling driver?

Unfortunately I plugged them in and confirmed the worst.  They didn't "repair" anything, and the driver rattles exactly like before.

I specifically stated that the problem was the right driver rattled during strong low bass.
How did they completely ignore that and come to the conclusion that the entire right side was "OUT" and could be fixed by a simple resolder of one of the outside wires???  AKG had a failure in communication somewhere.

So now I get to go through the whole process again!  YAY!!!!

I guess I need to get on the phone with some people and try and hammer in why the failed, so as I to avoid just having them fail to fix it again if I send it in a second time. At this point, I'd actually prefer they print me an insured shipping label, as it cost me $20 to ship it to them the first time, and now I have to do it again.  I'm out $40 for my "in-warranty repair" because they failed to fix it the first time.

mad.gif

EDIT: After ~40 minutes of being transferred around on the phone with AKG, they've agreed to ship me a new replacement pair of K702 Anniversaries.

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #2,368 of 3,395
Quote:

You'll get zero benefit from burn-in if those two you feel should improve.

No improvement to the sound stage after burn-in?  I think I remember reading from somebody else that it improved.  As for the bass, I guess I will have to fine tune my EQ settings.

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #2,369 of 3,395
Well, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my AKGs were returned by Harman today!

I looked at the packing slip to see what they did, and I saw this:

"Faults Reported: RIGHT SIDE IS OUT - warranty resolder
 Action Taken:  resoldered wire." 

That was an immediate red flag.  How is resoldering a WIRE going to help fix a physically rattling driver?

Unfortunately I plugged them in and confirmed the worst.  They didn't "repair" anything, and the driver rattles exactly like before.

I specifically stated that the problem was the right driver rattled during strong low bass. 
How did they completely ignore that and come to the conclusion that the entire right side was "OUT" and could be fixed by a simple resolder of one of the outside wires???  AKG had a failure in communication somewhere.

So now I get to go through the whole process again!  YAY!!!!

I guess I need to get on the phone with some people and try and hammer in why the failed, so as I to avoid just having them fail to fix it again if I send it in a second time.  At this point, I'd actually prefer they print me an insured shipping label, as it cost me $20 to ship it to them the first time, and now I have to do it again.  I'm out $40 for my "in-warranty repair" because they failed to fix it the first time.

:mad:

That would definitely be enough for me to tell them I want a FULL refund. Eff that.

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #2,370 of 3,395
No improvement to the sound stage after burn-in?  I think I remember reading from somebody else that it improved.  As for the bass, I guess I will have to fine tune my EQ settings.

I don't know about what you're plugging them into, but the Annie's drivers are notorious for requiring some real power. Not sure your soundcard is doing enough for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back