AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Mar 12, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #1,846 of 3,395
Quote:
To me the response on the 702's is flatter (no obvious dips or peaks) and they don't dip in the vocal region like my 600's do and they sound more open and extended at the top end.

How about sibilance and harshness?

I'm interested in the k702 AE but it's much more pricey then the other akg's. Pads might offer a solution. I should get the k702 ae pads but what akg model? The K702, q701 or k701?

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #1,847 of 3,395
How about sibilance and harshness?

I'm interested in the k702 AE but it's much more pricey then the other akg's. Pads might offer a solution. I should get the k702 ae pads but what akg model? The K702, q701 or k701?

I didn't notice any sibilance or harshness unlike the Grado's I compared them to. As for price, I wasn't able to compare them to the 701's or Q701's. I picked these solely on the way they sounded for the money.

The regular 702's,701's or Q701's with anniversary pads may be a way to save some money since that seems to be the main difference although I could see the bumpy head band on the regular ones being uncomfortable as well and after you change that as well you would be lose to the same price

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #1,848 of 3,395
Have had my Annies for a couple weeks now... #885
biggrin.gif

They are my first set of "audiophile" headphones. Before I used to use a pair of Sony MDR XB500 (which I really didn't end up using much at all as I didn't see any point in using them over my computer speakers). Mostly only when I needed to be quiet at night... even then I preferred to use my computer speakers at a low volume rather than headphones.

Also used Turtle Beach PX5's for my console gaming needs. They were fine for gaming... but obviously the SQ sucks for any music listening.

So I decided I would get a nice pair of all around headphones that would serve my gaming needs AND be good for music, musics etc. as well. Researched for a while and heard of the Annies from MLE's Headphone Gaming thread on these forums and instantly wanted them because not only did they look freakin' cool, they were also getting great reviews from everyone.

So far the headphones have been amazing... now whenever I am on the PC, I am almost always wearing them because the sound is just phenomenal. As I said... in the past I felt like headphones were more of a hassle to put on my head... but not with these bad boys.

Comfort wise, they are the best headphone I have ever had. The self adjusting design of the AKG's is great, no need to fiddle around and adjust the earcups all the time. I did feel the headband on top of my head for the first couple of days... it would start to hurt after a long period of listening... but after a couple weeks I don't even feel it at all... I can almost forget I even have headphones on my head lol.

Got the Fiio E9K/E17 combo to go along with them and everything sounds great. When listening to music off my PC, I have found a sweet spot after fiddling around for a while. I have the E17 DAC hooked up to my PC's optical out, 75% on the PC volume control, and then I adjust the E9K volume control for my desired listening level. Also have the bass on the E17 EQ boosted up +4db to give the headphones a little extra oomph, and they handle it perfectly.

Gaming wise... amazing as well. On a game like Black Ops 2 with horrible in game sound (footstep wise), I can actually hear all the positional cues that I should have been hearing from the beginning. With the Turtle Beach PX5's I couldn't hear anything. I do have the Astro Mixamp 2013 in the chain as well... and that has the "Pro" EQ setting with boosts footsteps and lowers bass so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

Don't regret my purchase at all... I am in love with these headphones. The price is definitely a little steep compared to the regular K702, but after hearing how these sound, I don't care at all, heh.

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #1,849 of 3,395
Sounds good but your computer volume should always be at 100% when using usb or optical out. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #1,850 of 3,395
Quote:
Sounds good but your computer volume should always be at 100% when using usb or optical out. 

I searched around and everyone says something different lol. Most posts I saw said you gotta find a sweet spot... so I dunno.

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #1,851 of 3,395
Anything other than 100% is altering the digital data stream. A digital output should always be at 100%.
Quote:

I searched around and everyone says something different lol. Most posts I saw said you gotta find a sweet spot... so I dunno.

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #1,852 of 3,395
Less than 100% and the audio has to start dividing the digital bits, and they end up being fractional numbers and they have to round up or down which is altering the data and losing information/resolution. 

I doubt you can hear it, but that's why its best to leave it at 100% in theory.

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #1,853 of 3,395
When volume is reduced in digital it's basically done by throwing away bits of resolution. If it's a 24 bit signal you probably won't notice a change in resolution, but digitally attenuating a 16 bit signal can be very audible, even if it's only 6db as an example.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #1,854 of 3,395
It also depends, to an extent, on what OS you're using. Win 7/8 (and Vista I think?) up-convert everything to 32-bits first and then down sample from there... So often times you aren't gonna be able to hear any difference regardless of source material or how gifted an ear you have.

But yeah, generally I'd still do 100% unless it leaves you with too little play on the amp... Nothing wrong with not having the PC at 100% if you want to avoid channel imbalance or something like that at lower amp volume.

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #1,856 of 3,395
Would the Centrance DACport be a suitable DAC/AMP paired with the K702 65th Anniversary's?

I've read that the DACport offers a very clear, detailed sound with very little grain, but it's bass, while detailed, doesn't have the impact of more expensive DACs like the Benchmark, Burson, or Lavry Amps.  Since I'd like -2db reduction in bass with the K702.65's, I'm considering the DACport.  Opinions?

Also thinking about the Fostex HP-A3, but would prefer as small as possible.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #1,859 of 3,395
I still have them.  When gaming, I prefer the Q's to the Annies.  Everything feels a little too close with the Annies and the sound doesn't feel right when playing.  I miscue and do horrible...lol Other than that I swapped the pads and they pretty much sound the same but the Annies had a little more warmth HD650 like.  I may or may not get the pads. I like the realness the Q's offer me.  For music I'll be looking into customs. 
Quote:

So do you still have Q701s or did you sell those too?

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #1,860 of 3,395
All I know is that the Annie makes me rethink sellling them. They hold extremely well vs the LCD2 for me. You tradeoff body for air, but the Annie already has body. My LCD2's highest treble is hotter than my Annie's.

Hawaiian, dunno if you're using Dolby Headphone, but the Annie for gaming is basically perfection, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back