AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Mar 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #1,771 of 3,395
Quote:
Is there any reason not just get the original?

There's a few differences between the two and it really comes down to preferences.
I've always found the Q701 much warmer and fuller sounding than the K701/K702.
The soundstage also felt more accurate for whatever reason.

There's a few other differences I've found and it's in the first post of the Q701 thread.

Also..sometimes the Q701 is cheaper for those inside the USA. Not always..

Really wish my stupid 65th pads would ship already. It's taking forever!

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #1,772 of 3,395
Quote:
Good luck with what your dealing with.  The info you gain will come in handy when others are in search to resolve the same problem or something similar.  

Thanks. I think it just needs some time for the band to mold to my head. Last night I wore it for a bit without any comfort issues but when I checked the mirror I had the same red patch on the crown of my head. I have another 10 days to test these babies out so we will see how much it improves before i decide to keep them.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,773 of 3,395
You could be allergic to some compound used on the band (dye, conditioner?)   Maybe wear them on your forearm while watching TV for an hour (middle of band resting on arm as it would on your red spotted head)? Just a (perhaps weird) idea.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #1,774 of 3,395
Is there any reason not just get the original?

The main one aside from the often mentioned sonic differences in the pads is the headband which is leaps and bounds better than the bumpy original. The majority of people do NOT like the bumpy headband, and have at times called it a torture device. Personally it is very uncomfortable, but with time, you can get used to it. With the Annie, its a pretty safe bet that you will love its comfort.

You can get an original, swap out the headband for a K601 headband if you think youre up to it, and buy the Annie pads. In the end this will cost you around $350, vs the Annie being around $400 when you find deals. Up to you.

Personally, my Annie is still warmer and fuller sounding than the Q701 ive compared it directly with, even when its using the Annie pads., but others mention that it sounds the same, so YMMV.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #1,775 of 3,395
Lookey what I found. 

I wonder where I could put this...
rolleyes.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #1,778 of 3,395

I just wanted to reuse that picture
normal_smile .gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #1,780 of 3,395
Quote:
You never took any pics of your Q701 with that on it!

My Q701 never had that one on it. They had a different one.

That's a new one I just got today for the K702s.  It's got memory foam
normal_smile .gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #1,782 of 3,395
Quote:

There's a few differences between the two and it really comes down to preferences.
I've always found the Q701 much warmer and fuller sounding than the K701/K702.

The soundstage also felt more accurate for whatever reason.

There's a few other differences I've found and it's in the first post of the Q701 thread.

Also..sometimes the Q701 is cheaper for those inside the USA. Not always..

Really wish my stupid 65th pads would ship already. It's taking forever!

Maybe because the sound stage got smaller, and your focus got pointed more easy.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #1,783 of 3,395
That's the thing. The soundstage isn't smaller, IMHO. It's just more meaty, so it doesn't have the same open space. At least that's how I perceive it. I'm A/B-ing the Annie vs Q701, and it's the same thing. The angled pads aren't giving the Q701 a bigger stage. The biggest change was literally weight of the notes, and bottom end being raised to meet the mids. Of course, a warmer, richer tone won't give the impression of the soundstage being as big unless you pay close attention.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #1,784 of 3,395
Quote:
That's the thing. The soundstage isn't smaller, IMHO. It's just more meaty, so it doesn't have the same open space. At least that's how I perceive it. I'm A/B-ing the Annie vs Q701, and it's the same thing. The angled pads aren't giving the Q701 a bigger stage. The biggest change was literally weight of the notes, and bottom end being raised to meet the mids. Of course, a warmer, richer tone won't give the impression of the soundstage being as big unless you pay close attention.

I didn't try out the 65 pads on my K702, but if you push in on the 702s cups you'll get more weight to the notes, a smaller sound stage, and the upper mids will jump in your face.

BTW, I got the original K702 as a monitor tool to pay a close attention... and looks like this was AKG first intention. Lol, intention to attention, can be AKG new slogan.

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #1,785 of 3,395
Quote:
Why? That heaband is perfection!
angry_face.gif

Only memory foam is allowed to touch my body.

cool.gif

Quote:

I didn't try out the 65 pads on my K702, but if you push in on the 702s cups you'll get more weight to the notes, a smaller sound stage, and the upper mids will jump in your face.

BTW, I got the original K702 as a monitor tool to pay a close attention... and looks like this was AKG first intention. Lol, intention to attention, can be AKG new slogan.

I tried squishing in the Q701 pads some to try and make them sound like the anniversaries, but it didn't work.  I couldn't get them to sound the same.  The Q701 would only sound a bit more shouty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back