AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Feb 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #1,546 of 3,395
Quote:
I really hope AKG can get back into the high-end game.  I still dream about them releasing something innovative and great sounding like the K1000.  

I am really intrigued by the Annies, but for $500, it would have to be much better than the Q701's to justify the price difference.  Maybe a pair might make their way into my hands for a week or so in the future...

In side joke..

You got it..  Would like to here you comparison impressions.. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #1,547 of 3,395
I love the way these look. Just bought some q701 and love the sound except that its bass is a little light for me. How much of a difference does this one make?

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #1,548 of 3,395
If you desire more bass, while retaining most of that sound you love (barring some changes like extra warmth and musicality), you've come to the right place. The Annie is a perfected Q701.

To put it in simply, I wouldnb't have ever used the Q701 as a music can (I loved them, but not for music). The Annie is my main music can. The bass is spot on.

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #1,549 of 3,395
I like them better than a pair of dt880/32 I bought but the dt880 has better bass. Looks like I might have to sell the dt880 I got on the for sale forum and return the q701. Would these run decent with e07k/e09k?

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #1,550 of 3,395
Absolutely. Similar bass as the DT880/32 (I also owned that specific model DT880), warmer tone, better mids, and smoother treble, and more airy/open soundstage.

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #1,551 of 3,395
Sounds like what I need. Hopefully I can get one for closer to $400 here or off ebay. I was gonna exchange the q701 since I noticed a rattling noise in right cup today but I guess I'll get a refund instead.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,552 of 3,395
I know I'm the resident Annie fanboy, but you're making the right choice. Sound improvements, comfort boost, limited availability. They are worth it. The more new music I listen to, the more I love them. I love them more now than when I first got them. That's saying a lot.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #1,554 of 3,395
Little off topic so you can answer in your gaming thread if you want. Is the Annie better or equal for gaming, more specifically black ops 2? Thanks

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #1,555 of 3,395
Better or equal? Huh? Relative to the other AKGs? They are all god mode inducing. The Annie has the extra benefit of being more fun to play with, and less fatiguing. As I have mentioned beofre, anything that basically gets an 8 is all you need for competitive play. Higher scores usually mean that there is absolutely nothing in the way of soundwhoring which usually means less bass, less fun. The Annie is bar none, the best headphone I've used for gaming for all-around purposes.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #1,557 of 3,395
I'd just like to throw my take on these cans again, after having more time with them, and I have to say these are absolutely Wonderful for some genres, while it ends up ruining others.
I find this has a good low-end kick for EDM and the like, as well as hip-hop instrumentals and such, but when it comes to Metal, it does end up sounding a little off, and in my opinion, makes it sound bad.

When I listen to Hip hop the main focus for me is the drums. The bass, the hi-hat, the cymbals, they have to sound right and balanced. Ain't no hip-hop fan want to listen to hi-hats without no bass. Thus with the 65th I personally find a great balance with that aspect. With D&B and similar genre's, the lower-end is quite important, or else it just ends up sounding like trance, which I am not fan of (see: horrible). Once again, the 65th holds it's own. But when it comes down to listening to some Metal, I feel there is a slight over-emphasis on bass and lower-mids. Songs in which the lead guitar would shine using the K701, are now overshadowed by the rest of the band. Guitar solos especially I feel have lost their focus, and don't have the sense of power they would have If I used my K701. The low-end seems to overpower in songs in which the main focus is in the upper range.

However, I feel that the 65th fare better with acoustical recordings, in which the added lower-end helps make it sound less shiny then the K701. The K701 tended to make acoustic feel kind of fake, or overly-bright.

So there is a little give and take I feel, and with that, I think I'll keep my K701's, because with my personal tastes, it makes a great compliment to the 65th.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #1,559 of 3,395
Sorry if I missed that, but have you tried Anniversary pads on K701?

THX
Quote:
I'd just like to throw my take on these cans again, after having more time with them, and I have to say these are absolutely Wonderful for some genres, while it ends up ruining others.
I find this has a good low-end kick for EDM and the like, as well as hip-hop instrumentals and such, but when it comes to Metal, it does end up sounding a little off, and in my opinion, makes it sound bad.

When I listen to Hip hop the main focus for me is the drums. The bass, the hi-hat, the cymbals, they have to sound right and balanced. Ain't no hip-hop fan want to listen to hi-hats without no bass. Thus with the 65th I personally find a great balance with that aspect. With D&B and similar genre's, the lower-end is quite important, or else it just ends up sounding like trance, which I am not fan of (see: horrible). Once again, the 65th holds it's own. But when it comes down to listening to some Metal, I feel there is a slight over-emphasis on bass and lower-mids. Songs in which the lead guitar would shine using the K701, are now overshadowed by the rest of the band. Guitar solos especially I feel have lost their focus, and don't have the sense of power they would have If I used my K701. The low-end seems to overpower in songs in which the main focus is in the upper range.

However, I feel that the 65th fare better with acoustical recordings, in which the added lower-end helps make it sound less shiny then the K701. The K701 tended to make acoustic feel kind of fake, or overly-bright.

So there is a little give and take I feel, and with that, I think I'll keep my K701's, because with my personal tastes, it makes a great compliment to the 65th.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #1,560 of 3,395
whoops..........................looks like I just pulled the trigger on these.

here is a tip, when buying on ebay and "making an offer" to a set price, check out vendors feed back first, as you may get a idea of what others paid if they have sold more than one......... dummy here didnt and paid $10 more than others

rookie misstake by me hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back