AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Feb 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #1,472 of 3,395
Quote:
...from what I could gather there are only 3000 of these which were made by AKG in Austria  (no wonder they label it "numbered limited edition" ) . btw mine has a number 0729 clearly stated.

Last time I checked all the AKG x70x say "made in Austria"...

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #1,475 of 3,395
Quote:
yeah, probably one of the very few brands which don't out source their manufacturing to china / taiwan.

Well... actually, AKG has moved almost all of their manufacturing to China other than the K70X line.

Also, almost all established audio companies produce their higher-end products in their home countries:
Beyerdynamic - Germany
Sennheiser - Germany / Ireland
Ultrasone - Germany
Audio-Technica - Japan

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #1,476 of 3,395
Quote:

I ordered a Schiit Asgard 2.  I'm sure there are better options, but probably not for the price.  I had the original Asgard on a couple different occasions in the past, and I liked how it paired with the K701 -- so I figured it would be a pretty safe, low-cost option for the K702.65 as well.  If there was an easy way to take the K702.65 balanced while keeping a single-sided entry, I probably would have gone for the Bryston BHA-1 instead.  I heard that amp with a balanced K701 at CanJam and was very impressed.

And I agree regarding the DT880 and T1 -- with these headphones, there's a lot of sssss going on, whereas the K702.65 doesn't have this problem.  I can get used to the extra sssss pretty easily though, so it doesn't bother me too much with the DT880.  I personally really liked the T1's spatial presentation -- the soundstage sounded "spherical" in shape to me, with roughly equal width and depth, and a good size.  Imaging on the T1 was really sharp too.  The DT880 is a bit "flat" or "2D" by comparison.  The K702.65, by comparison, has a wider soundstage than either of the Beyer headphones, and I think it has more depth than the DT880 but less than the T1.

I don't know the Asgard 2 but the price is good, and I hope will be a good fit for your both hps. After 250hrs your sound stage will get as the T1 and even bigger, a full burn in K-702 get the spherical sound stage as well. Try to get a new and better cable, this also will improve the sound by 10-20%

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #1,477 of 3,395
Quote:

Well... actually, AKG has moved almost all of their manufacturing to China other than the K70X line.

Also, almost all established audio companies produce their higher-end products in their home countries:
Beyerdynamic - Germany
Sennheiser - Germany / Ireland
Ultrasone - Germany
Audio-Technica - Japan

Senn parts are made in China, including the HD-800 parts. Ultrasone are made in Taiwan. 

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #1,478 of 3,395
Quote:
I don't know the Asgard 2 but the price is good, and I hope will be a good fit for your both hps.

I'm confident the Asgard 2 will be a good fit for the K702.65, but I'm also pretty sure that it won't be very good for the DT880/600.  My experience has been that the DT880/600 sounds kind of lifeless when driven by a solid state amp with a low output impedance.  It sounds much better on OTL tube amps, and that's why I have my Valhalla.

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,479 of 3,395
Quote:

I'm confident the Asgard 2 will be a good fit for the K702.65, but I'm also pretty sure that it won't be very good for the DT880/600.  My experience has been that the DT880/600 sounds kind of lifeless when driven by a solid state amp with a low output impedance.  It sounds much better on OTL tube amps, and that's why I have my Valhalla.

For you peraphs it won't be very good ^^ , not every one is found of OTL tube amps even with Beyer 600 ohms 
tongue.gif
, he had to try to know .

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #1,480 of 3,395
Quote:
I believe that they still have them in stock, AKG I mean, especially in Europe, cos they dont sell that good here as in US, I guess...

Well, T5p must be differ kind of sound, arent they? They are closed back and cost a "little" more to:) I found T1 overpriced for what they did, however they were not bad either.

THX

I've never heard the T1, but I like the T5p very much... quite different from the K702 though: the Beyer is more resolving to my ears, has a nice linear bass reaching very deep (really nice for electronic music) but sounds not as wide as the K702, which is overall more relaxed and easier to listen to.

I like the combination with the Lake People amp... brings out lots of little details, spread out in space so to say. Plus the amp seems to be able to control the bass much better than my other options (Meridian Explorer headphone out, Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII): it sounds more flat, reaching deeper with even better resolution than before. I think I can live with this setup for a while (Explorer feeding the Lake People amp via lineout).

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #1,484 of 3,395
65th replacement pads are backordered until the 7th of March. How lame..
I'm still in line to get some at least. I think I ordered them at the end of January.
They don't charge you until they ship though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back