AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Feb 18, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #1,396 of 3,394
I am pretty familier with HD800, also had them for weeks next to my K702, both have their pros and cons, but at the end, its the matter of your system and taste.
For example, in my system both are silky and smooth with HQ records, but HD800 were more forgiving with some records I never even thought they can be. Not only because of that, but the music itself, never thought AKG will reveal some nasty parts of it and HD800 not, was kind of surprise, but there are more things than just that.

For example, AKG just better in one important department, transparency, where HD800 are more colored, if you will, they have their signature that tells you what Sennheisers think the sound must be like, no matter what you listen to it, they sound almost identical, portrait things itdentical and dont change much with differ records and many folks like that, so, for each his own.

My big issue with HD800 are their midbass and imagine, both make them less natural and less balanced compared to AKG, thats why, probably, you see many recabled HD800, I guess, I dont know, cos I only tried stock pair.

Anyway, like I said, for each his own, but the money you pay for Sennheisers are something differ that you pay for AKG, even new, thats where other things starting play a huge part for me, but I leave it there and dont want to trash this thread with it...

THX

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #1,397 of 3,394
Just wanna state that I've been using a loaner pair of LCD2s, and while they are a different kind of awesome, I went back to the Annie, and I'm still super impressed with them. No remorse here. They are stellar cans.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #1,398 of 3,394
Quote:
Just wanna state that I've been using a loaner pair of LCD2s, and while they are a different kind of awesome, I went back to the Annie, and I'm still super impressed with them. No remorse here. They are stellar cans.

Now im curious to give the AKG a try but i just got my HE-400 not too long ago. Whats the difference between the regular version and anniversary edition?

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #1,400 of 3,394
Posting this for information.

I checked with AKG about headband parts in UK. The K601 headband cost 56.7 GBP and the K702 (65th annie) cost 137.99 GBP. Also there is an  addition 7 GBP postage. Looks like it will be cheaper to buy the K702 annies and not bother about replacing the parts on K701/Q701 :frowning2:

I desparately want to get rid of the bumps...

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #1,401 of 3,394
Quote:
Posting this for information.

I checked with AKG about headband parts in UK. The K601 headband cost 56.7 GBP and the K702 (65th annie) cost 137.99 GBP. Also there is an  addition 7 GBP postage. Looks like it will be cheaper to buy the K702 annies and not bother about replacing the parts on K701/Q701 :frowning2:

I desparately want to get rid of the bumps...

You can cut them out, or just open the side of the bump with the exacto knife, and clean the foam out and glue it back

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #1,402 of 3,394
Quote:
Now im curious to give the AKG a try but i just got my HE-400 not too long ago. Whats the difference between the regular version and anniversary edition?

If you don't want to shuffle through this entire thread you can start by checking MLE's review from his gaming guide: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-2-18-13-audeze-lcd-2-added

The most apparent changes are the headband which no longer has those (annoying) bumps and the earpads which are now velour coated memory foam instead of spring foam. Annies (or K702 65th anniversary editions as some here like them to be described
wink.gif
) have also new "mystical" tuning which includes, in addition to those earpad changes, changes in the build design (not so much in the drivers themselves). What this new tuning does is slightly tame the treble (yes you lose some of that sparkle) and in return gives warmer and fuller sound (more bass impact which is especially noticeable in more bass heavy music). I find these changes to improve the overall balance but this is only my personal opinion. In addition, the K702 65th anniversary edition comes with new color scheme (dark grey and black base with lightning blue ring) and is limited to 3000 pieces. I feel this headphone is designed for those of us who didn't find the standard K/Q70Xs to be comfortable enough or wanted slightly warmer and fuller sound. Anniversary editions do, however, cost more than the standard editions. It should also be mentioned that the new pads generate more heat and for some users have even caused the formation of hot spots.

The package of K702 65th anniversary edition includes headphones, new thinner nontangling cable, stereo adapter, booklet and a sticker (I have some photos on my profile if interested).

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #1,403 of 3,394
FYI, just listed my Annies on the trade forums at a pretty good price if anyone is considering taking the plunge.   I just bought a set of HD 700s and I can't justify two sets of headphones right now.

Not going to link here, but you know where to look.

Cheers.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #1,405 of 3,394
Quote:
FYI, just listed my Annies on the trade forums at a pretty good price if anyone is considering taking the plunge.   I just bought a set of HD 700s and I can't justify two sets of headphones right now.

Not going to link here, but you know where to look.

Cheers.

Do you have the HD700s yet?

If so can you compare the two?

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #1,406 of 3,394
Quote:

Do you have the HD700s yet?

If so can you compare the two?

Yep, I sure can.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/612502/sennheiser-hd-700-appreciation-thread/405#post_9178155
http://www.head-fi.org/t/612502/sennheiser-hd-700-appreciation-thread/405#post_9178388

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #1,408 of 3,394
Oh yeah for sure.   I used a track by Atom™ from Liedgut to test this Atom TM – Wellen Und Felder III, it's basically a throbbing bass line and the HD700 delivers that exactly.   The K702 was pretty anemic in comparison but not horrible.

The K702 65 still did a far better job with this bass than the HD650 (very muddy) or the K702 (just a note, no presence).    The HD700 was exactly right with it.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #1,409 of 3,394
Ive heard bad things about the HD700. I'd rather save up for the HD800, personally.

Compared the Annie with the LCD2 for 3 days, and I could easily say the Annie held it's own and even exceeded on a couple of things, like perceived clarity, soundstage, and balance.

The LCD2 has it beat in bass and mid intimacy, and organic tone. Thats about it. It's a wonderful sounding headphone, but it's thickness makes things a little congested and closed sounding. Even my friend who I told nothing about it, compared for 3 hours and said he preferred the Annie.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #1,410 of 3,394
I hated the 800 in comparison, I thought it seemed dull to listen to and I didn't understand the hype.   I think if I'd paid the full $1k for the HD700 I'd feel a little bitter about it, but for $729 it was a BIG step up from the K702 Annies.   They are similar as the HD650 is to the Annies, but where the Annies do everything right that the HD650 does wrong the HD700 does the Annies one better and fills out the top end with sparkle and the low end with authority, plus it adds a real flavor of dimension to the awesome sound stage (this is probably due to the angled drivers).   They are like having really nice speakers on your head.

I am not knocking the Annies, if I could afford two sets of headphones I would keep them.   They are a very strong headphone for the price and they do very well with almost every genre of music.   Don't take anything I say as a rejection of these cans, in fact I think AKG should really think about these improvements and release these as a K703 ... keep the K 702/701 as is, just release these as a new number and charge whatever.   They are a great competitor in the $400-$500 range and definitely better than the HD650 if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back