AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Feb 13, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #1,291 of 3,395
Quote:
Sweet

Whats your first impressions compare to other hp's you own, what kind of music are you listen to?

THX

Quote:

Mainly alternative and punk rock, with a sprinkle of hip-hop and pop.

Wide soundstage, exquisite clarity and detail are the K702's strong points.
My main pair are Beyer T1's, and comparatively speaking the mids are slightly more pronounced and provides a meatier bass response compared to the K702s.
Vocals are more forward and engaging too.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #1,296 of 3,395
 I'm also really amazed how well the K702 65th Anniversary scales with a quality source.  It's making it tough to justify keeping my new AD2000X though it's a great performer in its own right.  I'll have to do more listening to decide for sure. I'll Probably still keep both unless I just sell them both and try to get an HD800 
font]
  This DAC really makes me want to get even better headphones.

A partial re-post of one of my posts from another thread for anyone who's interested.  Needless to say, my little Schiit Modi, while great for the price, really wasn't doing these headphones justice.  These things really scale up with a better source.  

Maybe it's just a lucky synergy for me but my current chain of Resonessence Concero > Audio-GD SA-31 > K702 65th is certainly the most musically enjoyable setup I've owned.  Now, I didn't say most technically capable, this is no HE-6, however in this setup I find the K702 65th to be more enjoyable.  If I still had the HE-6 with my current setup my opinion could certainly change.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #1,297 of 3,395
Confirmed from AKG - the drivers are the same as the regular K702/Q701.
The sound retuning is done via "other components":

Quote:
[size=11pt]Sounddesign of a headphone is conditioned by the capsule but also from the other components like the capsule housing and the cushions.[/size]
[size=11pt]The overall sound is the result of ALL acoustic elements.[/size]
[size=11pt]In case of the K 702 65th Anniversary AKG uses the same driver as for the K 702 and the “new sound tuning” is done by other elements.[/size]
[size=11pt]This is the statement of the Product manager.[/size]

[size=11pt]Kind regards[/size]

[size=8pt]Michael AMON[/size]
[size=8pt]Service Technician[/size]

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #1,298 of 3,395
Oookay, so who's gonna open up their Annies to see what has changed internally, aside from the pads that could influence sound changes?

Perhaps those with Q701s can buy the pads, as well as adding the necessary internal tweaks for the Annie'd Qs and Ks without the premium and color/headband.

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #1,300 of 3,395
What's the point of argumenting about minuscule things? We all knew they were using the same drivers, as it was not stated that they did with the new one, and I do believe AKG would do that if they were.

This reminds me of never ending story / discussion about Grado drivers. I left Grado land, but found the same in the world of AKG.

Now we have the naked true, so, would be really nice to see more of the things that really matter, such as comparison and their performance in differ rigs please.

THX.

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #1,301 of 3,395
Quote:
What's the point of argumenting about minuscule things? We all knew they were using the same drivers, as it was not stated that they did with the new one, and I do believe AKG would do that if they were.

This reminds me of never ending story / discussion about Grado drivers. I left Grado land, but found the same in the world of AKG.

Now we have the naked true, so, would be really nice to see more of the things that really matter, such as comparison and their performance in differ rigs please.

THX.

Now we confirmed they're using the same drivers,  time to move on and examine other parts as MLE suggest.
k701smile.gif

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #1,302 of 3,395
Quote:

THX.

Someone was arguing? Not seeing that.
I think what's interesting and useful is to figure out what causes all the changes between all the K702 and K701 versions. I think after even 2 years nobody has figured out why the Q701 sounds so different than the rest.
I'd love to hear a K702 made in the last few months to see if it's similar and if there was a possible driver update.

If you don't like us talking about such minor things, you can ignore them
normal_smile .gif

Opening up a K702 is really tough I think. I mean completely removing every single piece including the driver. If you remove the grill it's easy to take a peak inside though.

My 65th pads are on the way next week sometime..I'll try them on my Q701 and report back.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #1,305 of 3,395
It'd be nice for the non-Annie owners if a simple pad swap is what'd turn them into the Annies sound-wise, but the only person on here who did the swap stated that the non-Annie gets too bloated and congested with the Annie pads, and that the Annie gets pretty treble oriented with non-Annie pads, FWIR.

Once I get my HE-400 back, I'll be sending my Annies out to a few friends who happen to own the Q701, and I trust them to do those comparisons and tell us exactly how the pad swap affects both cans directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back