AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Jan 31, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #1,081 of 3,395
Quote:
Go ahead and use it, you don't have to credit me either.

Edit: BUT you have to listen to this song with your k702-65's and tell me if you hear weird static in the right here within the first 5 seconds and then its gone https://soundcloud.com/vallymusic/zedd-clarity-feat-foxes-v-y so I know if I have to warranty mine or not lol.

or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLbRpObZFGQ&t=0m41s

The static is definitely part of the song on the first one. I can't hear anything out of the ordinary on the second.

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #1,084 of 3,395
Can you try reproducing the static on other headphones? I don't hear anything out of the ordinary.

On first impressions these headphones sound very good. I'm still a bit disappointed about the need for it to be hardwired for balanced or drilled for dual instead of single entry cable for balanced since I can't use it with my Mjolnir. However my D1 dac still has a very good amp in it. Call my crazy but I thought the amp in my D1 was better than when I had the D1 as dac only and my V200 amp.

They are definitely better balanced than the K601 I owned a long time ago. I can't remember about the K501 but I remember liking those a lot. I had a fear about these being bright or the sound stage sounding fake like many have complained about the K70x. However bright usually isn't the case since I'm less sensitive than most in here apparently or just have better recordings or synergy. In terms of tonal balance it is somewhere in between the HD800 and HE6. It definitely isn't as colored as the AD2k but few headphones I've tried are. This headphone reminds me (on first listen at least) of when I was into earphones only and had the Audio Technica CK10 but with better balance esp in the bass regions. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #1,085 of 3,395
Quote:
Can you try reproducing the static on other headphones? I don't hear anything out of the ordinary.

On first impressions these headphones sound very good. I'm still a bit disappointed about the need for it to be hardwired for balanced or drilled for dual instead of single entry cable for balanced since I can't use it with my Mjolnir. However my D1 dac still has a very good amp in it. Call my crazy but I thought the amp in my D1 was better than when I had the D1 as dac only and my V200 amp.

They are definitely better balanced than the K601 I owned a long time ago. I can't remember about the K501 but I remember liking those a lot. I had a fear about these being bright or the sound stage sounding fake like many have complained about the K70x. However bright usually isn't the case since I'm less sensitive than most in here apparently or just have better recordings or synergy. In terms of tonal balance it is somewhere in between the HD800 and HE6. It definitely isn't as colored as the AD2k but few headphones I've tried are. This headphone reminds me (on first listen at least) of when I was into earphones only and had the Audio Technica CK10 but with better balance esp in the bass regions. 

Yup, they sound very TWFK like. Shortly after I got my GR01, (which i'm sure you are aware is a TWFK based in ear just like the CK10) I was looking for a full size that had the same sound. I liked my GR01 so much that I wanted an open full size version of it. From what I had read, the Q701 seemed to fit the bill, so I bought it unheard and was pleasantly surprised that it sounded pretty much the same.

When going from the Q701 to the GR01, it seems that the GR01 actually has a tad more bass than the Q701. It could just be my brain being fooled by the different presentation and sound-stage size though. Obviously the Q701 is going to sound farther away, while the GR01 is going to sound like it's only a centimeter or so from your eardrum, so it could be my brain being fooled into thinking there is more bass. 

Anyway, these AKG's are a good full size alternative to the TWFK based in ears.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #1,086 of 3,395
I think mine is defective in the right driver at the low end (not sure if this is possible don't know how these work), I can reproduce the sound with my voice while monitoring live out of my microbookII, if I say low really long in a deep voice I can get it to happen.

I recorded myself sounding stupid but whatever this can make the noise happen and probably more noticable as there is no background music. None of my other headphones produce the static rumlbing on the right side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjCa7tclevs&

edit: Yes it is 100% defective, I held the noise while monitoring live and played with the balance it is perfect in the left side and happens on the ride side, hopefully it is just my unit and not across the whole series.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #1,087 of 3,395
Quote:
I think mine is defective in the right driver at the low end (not sure if this is possible don't know how these work), I can reproduce the sound with my voice while monitoring live out of my microbookII, if I say low really long in a deep voice I can get it to happen.

I recorded myself sounding stupid but whatever this can make the noise happen and probably more noticable as there is no background music. None of my other headphones produce the static rumlbing on the right side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjCa7tclevs&

edit: Yes it is 100% defective, I held the noise while monitoring live and played with the balance it is perfect in the left side and happens on the ride side

I don't hear any distortion or static in this clip with my Q701.

Take the pad off and make sure there is no hair or anything touching the driver. Something as simple as a hair rubbing the driver can cause an issue.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #1,088 of 3,395
Quote:
I don't hear any distortion or static in this clip with my Q701.

Take the pad off and make sure there is no hair or anything touching the driver. Something as simple as a hair rubbing the driver can cause an issue.

Checked it out didnt see anything, i also held the headphones above my ears and although hard to hear still faintly heard the sound with the pads off

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #1,089 of 3,395
Quote:
Yup, they sound very TWFK like. Shortly after I got my GR01, (which i'm sure you are aware is a TWFK based in ear just like the CK10) I was looking for a full size that had the same sound. I liked my GR01 so much that I wanted an open full size version of it. From what I had read, the Q701 seemed to fit the bill, so I bought it unheard and was pleasantly surprised that it sounded pretty much the same.

When going from the Q701 to the GR01, it seems that the GR01 actually has a tad more bass than the Q701. It could just be my brain being fooled by the different presentation and sound-stage size though. Obviously the Q701 is going to sound farther away, while the GR01 is going to sound like it's only a centimeter or so from your eardrum, so it could be my brain being fooled into thinking there is more bass. 

Anyway, these AKG's are a good full size alternative to the TWFK based in ears.

That they are. When I first had the CK10 and then moved on to full sized I did want something similar to the TWFK and I guess if the K701 or K702 sounded like this then this is what I would have gotten. I'm almost tempted to buy a K70x or even the Q701 to compare but don't think I should spend money on something I just want to compare to. I've done enough of that in the past already.

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #1,091 of 3,395
Quote:

Amazon. 30-day no questions asked return policy. The most you'd be out is the cost of return shipping. All of your questions will be answered:

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K702-65th-Anniversary-Edition/dp/B00A8LZ5GU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359598007&sr=8-1&keywords=akg+k702+65th+anniversary+edition

very_evil_smiley.gif

$10 or so bucks to rent them for 30 days, I'm in! Seriously though, that was one if the quickest decisions I've ever made but I just bought them to test them out and hope this is well worth it.

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #1,092 of 3,395
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190579040573?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1427.l2649

Figured it'd be easier to have a spare cable to keep connected to my Compass 2, while the stock cable stays on my receiver. It gets old constantly unplugging betweern the two.

Anything to justify spending $40 on a cable. :rolleyes:

Thinking about it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back