AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Jan 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #616 of 3,395
What are the bubbles all about?

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #617 of 3,395
Quote:
What are the bubbles all about?

Some of the x70x have bubbles on the diaphragm.  It's just cosmetic though.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #618 of 3,395
Jan 6, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #619 of 3,395
Audiophile noob here. But recently I've been doing research for my next pair of headphones. My first pair are the Audio Technica ATH-M50s paired with a ASUS DG soundcard. It's what I could afford at the time but very satisfied with the quality it gives. At first, I was looking for another pair of closed-back headphones and was eyeing on the Audio Technica A900x and the AKG 550s. I tested them out at BB Magnolia and was pleased with the A900x than the AKG 550s. But I can't really have a say on that because of the way their powered by at the store and with my smartphone. Though I wasn't pleased with the comfort of the A900x's because for a pea head-shaped and small ears like me, the earcups were pushing down on them. Also of the fact that they felt loose. You can't really move your head with these, even just a bit. So I went back on here to do more research and this time looked into open-back headphones. Right now I'm liking the reviews on the HE-400 and 500s. But, they seem pretty uncomfortable because I'll be using my headphones for many hours. Which leads me to the K702 65th Anniversary edition.

My cousin has the K701's and the comfort on those are great. I can't say much on the sound because were both newbies on the whole audiophile stuff but fortunately, we really want to get into this stuff. His is powered by the same soundcard as mine, though the sound isn't so great. Again, we don't have the proper equipment yet but we understand what the people on the forums are saying good about the K701's.

So reading through some of the pages are, it seems that AKG has made a good improvement with these. And it's being compared with the HE-400/500's.

All in all, the Anniversary Edition seems to have a bit of everything. So head-fier's, should I drop the ball and buy one? I found a pretty good deal for a pair and willing to drop money even if it will hurt my pocket since these are limited. At first though, I will be upgrading my soundcard to possibly an ASUS Xonar Essence STX before I drop money on a DAC and AMP. Those will take some time to obtain.

Thanks for reading!

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #620 of 3,395
I just received my pair today. Serial # 949.  I have had them on my head for maybe 30 minutes.  These sound fantastic!  I mean, really, really good.  I am listening to them through my ODAC - Burson Soloist setup.

I have compared the K702 ANV. to my Beyer T1s on a few songs so far and going back and forth between the two, I am shocked to hear little to no difference.  The T1s may be just a tad faster and slightly more refined, but so far that's the only difference I am hearing.  The mids, highs and lows of the two compliment each other very well. They are very close.

Comfort-wise, I would say the T1s are a little more comfortable but the K702s feel great.  Now that the headband bumps are gone, I can actually relax and listen and not constantly readjust them like I did when I had the Q701s.

I just wanted to throw my first impressions of these on here.  I am going to listen to some more and give the K702s more time to burn-in and loosen up a bit but I can already tell these are great cans.

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #621 of 3,395
Quote:
I just received my pair today. Serial # 949.  I have had them on my head for maybe 30 minutes.  These sound fantastic!  I mean, really, really good.  I am listening to them through my ODAC - Burson Soloist setup.

I have compared the K702 ANV. to my Beyer T1s on a few songs so far and going back and forth between the two, I am shocked to hear little to no difference.  The T1s may be just a tad faster and slightly more refined, but so far that's the only difference I am hearing.  The mids, highs and lows of the two compliment each other very well. They are very close.

Congrats!  Another very positive review for the 65s. There was a time I was lusting after the T1 but it's just not in my budget and rather have couple high-end phones than one uber nice one :)  

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #622 of 3,395
So we got these in the store I work at last week and held off any comments until it got 100 hours burn in. I think it's marginally better than the Q701, but I don't understand all the hype... I doubt our customers will be willing to spend the extra premium for these vs the Q's.

They are one of the prettiest and most comfortable headphones that's for sure; and since it's relatively inexpensive for me, I bought a pair. I'm not sure about it vs the HE400, I'm not a fan of the entry level planar due to its freq response, but for what it costs, I still believe it's the best phone you can get after Paradox's.

So I have to say they aren't amazing headphones, but the annies are pretty, improved a bit on comfort and sound, making them very "good" headphone. Unless you are a collector, it may be wiser to get Q701 for 230$ brand new.

I hope this is a precursor for AKG's next big project; I'm dying to see a new 1000$+ headphone from them again. I will be getting the k3003; after hearing them, they proved that AKG can still produce gems (albeit expensive) under the name of Harman.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #623 of 3,395
Thanks to Mad's super-positive reactions to these, I have ordered a set.  They should be here Monday.  I've already received my Magni.

I'm upgrading from a Turtle Beach HPX-1 headset paired with the Astro Mixamp.  As such, I'm hoping to be pleasantly blown away!

I've been pondering what serial number I'd hope to get.  A few quick ones off the top of my head (with their reference, just in case someone isn't aware):
  1. 007 (James Bond. Very unlikely, but it would be awesome!)
  2. 1138 (THX and shows up a lot in Star Wars)
  3. 2187 (Princess Leia's prison cell number)
  4. 2368 (Ghostbuster's phone number 555-2368)
  5. 2013 (the current year, 
    tongue_smile.gif
    )
  6. Any year of personal significance (birth, marriage, graduation, etc.)

What about everyone else?  Any numbers in particular you think it'd be cool to get?

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #624 of 3,395
Quote:
I've been pondering what serial number I'd hope to get

What about everyone else?  Any numbers in particular you think it'd be cool to get?

<3000 would be nice. 
regular_smile .gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #626 of 3,395
So, I bought the Magni to go along with my Mixamp, but didn't bother with a DAC as I'm primarily going to use the Annies for console gaming and watching movies.  However, if I did want to listen to music, I figure I have two options available to me:

1. iPod on Apple dock - 3.5mm Line-out to Magni
  2. Laptop - USB out to Mixamp, Mixamp out to Magni

I realize I can just hook the Annies straight to my iPod's or laptop's headphone jack, but if I wanted to still have the Magni in that mix, which method above would give the best DAC output?

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #627 of 3,395
I would NOT have the Mixamp in the chain for non-movie, non-gaming purposes. It adds hiss, and the USB dac on the Mixamp is terrible and distorts frequencies below 140hz (basically all the bass).

If you need a cheap dac to work while you get a decent one... I suggest a Fiio D3K if you have SPDIF out, or Fiio E10 if you need USB dac. YOUR ipod method will work fine.

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #628 of 3,395
Just got mine today =)

SN: 1239

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #629 of 3,395
Quote:
I would NOT have the Mixamp in the chain for non-movie, non-gaming purposes. It adds hiss, and the USB dac on the Mixamp is terrible and distorts frequencies below 140hz (basically all the bass).
If you need a cheap dac to work while you get a decent one... I suggest a Fiio D3K if you have SPDIF out, or Fiio E10 if you need USB dac. YOUR ipod method will work fine.

Figured the mixamp was a no-no for DAC purposes, but thought I'd ask anyway.  Glad the iPod dock will work at least.  I'll start with that and then maybe look into an E10 or something better later on (no SPDIF on my laptop unfortunately).

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back