AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Dec 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #391 of 3,395
Quote:
kstaken, have you had the chance to check out the SPL amps ?

I have not. Considered buying a Phonitor at one point but ended up making the mistake of getting a Decware mini-torii instead.

It turns out I sent my K702 65th back today. I wasn't thrilled with the sound at all, mostly because I think the new pads are a complete and utter miss from a sound quality perspective. To see what effect they have I swapped them onto my K701 and they made the headphone more bassy and warmer sounding but the bass is really fuzzy and they wipe out detail while moving the soundstage closer and narrowing it leading to what I found to be a highly congested sound. A warmer signature definitely isn't a bad thing but putting those pads on the K701 ruined the sound for me. I thought maybe the extra bass might make the K701 more suitable for EDM at least, nope, they just sounded congested. Classical, Jazz, Rock, bad, bad, bad, made the K701 into the worst sounding headphone in my collection. Going back to the K702 with those pads I found no reason to keep them.

I have a Q701 incoming now since I've never heard one. I might just grab a new K701 too, both combined would end up costing me about the same as the 65th ann version anyway. The K701 also has the advantage of being the only version that can be easily converted to balanced without performing major surgery on the things.

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #392 of 3,395
I just want to say that the ebay seller Proaudiostar is a great seller. I have bought from them twice and both times it was a perfect transaction.

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #393 of 3,395
Interesting conclusion, thanks for sharing. Would be also interesing to read your Q701 impressions.

THX

Quote:
I have not. Considered buying a Phonitor at one point but ended up making the mistake of getting a Decware mini-torii instead.

It turns out I sent my K702 65th back today. I wasn't thrilled with the sound at all, mostly because I think the new pads are a complete and utter miss from a sound quality perspective. To see what effect they have I swapped them onto my K701 and they made the headphone more bassy and warmer sounding but the bass is really fuzzy and they wipe out detail while moving the soundstage closer and narrowing it leading to what I found to be a highly congested sound. A warmer signature definitely isn't a bad thing but putting those pads on the K701 ruined the sound for me. I thought maybe the extra bass might make the K701 more suitable for EDM at least, nope, they just sounded congested. Classical, Jazz, Rock, bad, bad, bad, made the K701 into the worst sounding headphone in my collection. Going back to the K702 with those pads I found no reason to keep them.

I have a Q701 incoming now since I've never heard one. I might just grab a new K701 too, both combined would end up costing me about the same as the 65th ann version anyway. The K701 also has the advantage of being the only version that can be easily converted to balanced without performing major surgery on the things.

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #394 of 3,395
Quote:

If you already have the K701, maybe you should try the K702, and the Q-701( of course with the option to return them both). This way you, and us will get some revelations about those models. BTW, the K702 share the same pads as the 701s, as well multiple members here that have both models (701/2), confirmed more then ones that the 702s sound a bit more balanced and bassy compare to the 701s. About the Phonitor, the only place that I know for sure you can check it out is at the AES international conference in SF.

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #399 of 3,395
Quote:
It is for the SR325 and MS2 but you got the gist of it. They sound different than a Grado, but in the same ballpark. I have heard some people say that they are similar to the PS500.

Ok. I have the SR325is and really enjoy it. Maybe I'll considering mod options down the road. Just so we don't derail this thread, can you send me a link to these mods for the SR325?

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #400 of 3,395
Do folks aware of the fact that AKG K70... needs 300 burn in hours at least?

If somebody want to sell their Anniversary's, let me know please.

THX

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #401 of 3,395
The K701s I used to test the pads were 5 years old and have thousands of hours on them. The 65th anv had about 130 hours on them at the point I returned them but I just wasn't seeing the potential given that I was able to isolate the pads and wasn't at all pleased with their sound. I of course tried the K701 pads on the 65th anv too and that was better and I'm sure more time would have improved it further but I didn't hear anything that made me want to keep it given the price.

Quote:
Do folks aware of the fact that AKG K70... needs 300 burn in hours at least?

If somebody want to sell their Anniversary's, let me know please.

THX

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #403 of 3,395
That seems a strange conclusion to draw from the posts in this thread. I think the opposite is more accurate.
Quote:
The sense I'm getting here is that people who like a wildly different sound signature don't like the K702anv...
...and those who already liked the K70x love the minor change in sound and believe the ANV to be the best thing since sliced bread! (exaggerated)

I don't know about anyone else, but as good as the K70x is for the price, I doubt that driver could get that much better, especially since AKG has NEVER confirmed any difference is driver implementation. Has someone heard otherwise?

[I think I might just consider this my official entry into the Anti-Hype Club.]

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #404 of 3,395
Sorry if this has been posted before; posted on their site:

"The new sound tuning delivers improved performance at low frequencies..."

I was under the impression that in addition to the cosmetic and headband changes, the drivers were hand picked. But didn't recall seeing anything in regards to sound tuning before. What do you think this 'tuning' imply?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back