AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Dec 4, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #3,286 of 3,394
Hey guys I used my 65 Annie with my note 3 phone for the first time. It doesn't fit snugly buy wow. With FLAC plus dfx sound on my android it sounded great. I'm curious now, I never got a mini portable amp. Would it be a HUGE difference?

Already compared to my cheap iPhone 5 headphones things were brighter and fuller. Almost like my computer soundblaster omni amp

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #3,287 of 3,394
Hey guys I used my 65 Annie with my note 3 phone for the first time. It doesn't fit snugly buy wow. With FLAC plus dfx sound on my android it sounded great. I'm curious now, I never got a mini portable amp. Would it be a HUGE difference?

Already compared to my cheap iPhone 5 headphones things were brighter and fuller. Almost like my computer soundblaster omni amp

Improved clarity, dynamic, soundstage is expected when amped right :)

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #3,288 of 3,394
  Hey guys I'm not sure if I should make a new thread regarding to this "issue" or not but I'll post it here anyway.

Basically I've been hearing grinding noises from my annie for both sides whenever I make any head movements such as simple tilting. I'm not sure the right word to use for this particular noise but it's similar to what you hear from friction noises.
I can't really pinpoint exactly where these noises are coming from but if I hold the ring part (the part marked with red rectangle below) while moving my head I won't hear those noises.

As a temporary solution, I have to wiggle the ring part around for few seconds before it "settles down" and hence makes no such noises when I move my head again. Though the noise will come back when I take the can off from my head and put them back on.
I've been using this can for nearly 2 years and this is the first time happening. I feel like the parts are not defective but instead it's worn out due to continues usage over the years (literally everyday with long listening sections).

I might be asking for impossible but is there a way to fix this? I thought of contacting repair department though I doubt they'll be able to offer a repair service or even better, replacement due to heavy usage.

Did you manage to solve the problem? I've been experiencieng the same issue in the right eracup... I'm wondering if there's an easy solution.

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #3,289 of 3,394
  Hey guys I'm not sure if I should make a new thread regarding to this "issue" or not but I'll post it here anyway.

Basically I've been hearing grinding noises from my annie for both sides whenever I make any head movements such as simple tilting. I'm not sure the right word to use for this particular noise but it's similar to what you hear from friction noises.
I can't really pinpoint exactly where these noises are coming from but if I hold the ring part (the part marked with red rectangle below) while moving my head I won't hear those noises.

As a temporary solution, I have to wiggle the ring part around for few seconds before it "settles down" and hence makes no such noises when I move my head again. Though the noise will come back when I take the can off from my head and put them back on.
I've been using this can for nearly 2 years and this is the first time happening. I feel like the parts are not defective but instead it's worn out due to continues usage over the years (literally everyday with long listening sections).

I might be asking for impossible but is there a way to fix this? I thought of contacting repair department though I doubt they'll be able to offer a repair service or even better, replacement due to heavy usage.

I fix it... Just opened part 21 and then tried to remove 23 unsuccessfully, but somehow I manage to fit better parts 23 and 20 together, now it doesn't make friction noise, apparently the union between them was responsible for the noise.

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #3,290 of 3,394
Improved clarity, dynamic, soundstage is expected when amped right
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry for my Naive response what do you mean by soundstage? Really interested now, is the batter life on those $120 amps that people had in this thread that are more carry as you go good enough or do they die after a few (I hate carrying too many things)

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #3,291 of 3,394
Sorry for my Naive response what do you mean by soundstage? Really interested now, is the batter life on those $120 amps that people had in this thread that are more carry as you go good enough or do they die after a few (I hate carrying too many things)

Soundstage (in my definition) is how big the room is for the music. The bigger the soundstage is usually better. You don't want things to sound "in your head" and congested :wink:

As for portable amplifier's battery life, you are most likely going to charge it every night specially when driving power hungry headphones such as the K702/65. However, I would highly recommend desktop amp over portable amp for the K702/65. Unless you are looking at E12 :)

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #3,292 of 3,394
Jan 8, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #3,295 of 3,394
hi guys 
smily_headphones1.gif

what do you think is best for gaming ... for around $600 ?

AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition  + Audioengine D1 24-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter

OR

AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition + Asus Xonar DX + Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier  ?

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #3,296 of 3,394
  hi guys 
smily_headphones1.gif

AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition  + Audioengine D1 24-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter

Xonar DX : DSP effects (like dolby headphone) , LIne in/Micro . The DAC part is at least on par of what is on the Audio Engine D1 if not a bit better . Magni 2 is a well regarded as amp .

Audioengine D1 ... no DSP effects , but all in one and easely transportable .

For a gaming purpose DX + Magni 2 (or other amp) , seams to be a better option , even if you don't use dsp effect you can allways turn on or off at your convenience .

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #3,297 of 3,394
  hi guys 
smily_headphones1.gif

OR

AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition + Asus Xonar DX + Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier  ?

Another possible option is Sound Blaster Omni or Sound Blaster Z fed into a Magni. These both use SBX Pro Studio over Dolby Headphone. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #3,298 of 3,394
Thanks guys but i'm noop .. i don't know what the heck is "DSP effects" !

So here's a crazy idea ...

AKG K702 Anni ($377) + Sound Blaster Z ($99) + Magni 2 Modi 2 stacking ($218 includ PYST Cables )

OR is it an overkill for gaming ?!

And am i really getting what i'm paying for AKG K702 Anni over AKG Q701  ... for gaming?

Jan 12, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #3,299 of 3,394
  Thanks guys but i'm noop .. i don't know what the heck is "DSP effects" !

So here's a crazy idea ...

AKG K702 Anni ($377) + Sound Blaster Z ($99) + Magni 2 Modi 2 stacking ($218 includ PYST Cables )

OR is it an overkill for gaming ?!

And am i really getting what i'm paying for AKG K702 Anni over AKG Q701  ... for gaming?

From what a few people have said that have tried it, the original Modi wasn't really worth it over using the DAC built into the Z. I don't know how much better the Modi 2 is, but I can't imagine it blowing it away and making it suddenly worth the extra cash. 

As for your second question, that depends on entirely too many factors. I will say, the headband alone was enough to convince me that the Anni was worth it. I didn't really want to mess around with installing another one to the Q701 or messing around with any of the various mods. 

You might want to ask some questions over on Nameless thread if you haven't already regarding the Modi and Magni vs the Z. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #3,300 of 3,394

Xonar DX : DSP effects (like dolby headphone) , LIne in/Micro . The DAC part is at least on par of what is on the Audio Engine D1 if not a bit better . Magni 2 is a well regarded as amp .

Audioengine D1 ... no DSP effects , but all in one and easely transportable .

For a gaming purpose DX + Magni 2 (or other amp) , seams to be a better option , even if you don't use dsp effect you can allways turn on or off at your convenience .

Another possible option is Sound Blaster Omni or Sound Blaster Z fed into a Magni. These both use SBX Pro Studio over Dolby Headphone. 

From what a few people have said that have tried it, the original Modi wasn't really worth it over using the DAC built into the Z. I don't know how much better the Modi 2 is, but I can't imagine it blowing it away and making it suddenly worth the extra cash. 

As for your second question, that depends on entirely too many factors. I will say, the headband alone was enough to convince me that the Anni was worth it. I didn't really want to mess around with installing another one to the Q701 or messing around with any of the various mods. 

You might want to ask some questions over on Nameless thread if you haven't already regarding the Modi and Magni vs the Z. 

Thank you all, you guys ...

So is that all what i need:

1# http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8LZ5GU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AM2O1JUKI6X8W

2# http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ISU33E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

3# http://schiit.com/products/magni-2

Or do i need to buy any extra cables?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UHY8SO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3OI2CVBA9DB25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back