AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Nov 24, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #3,272 of 3,395
So I'm really tempted by the 7XX drop, but have no idea how the sound signatures of these are. Do these complement the HD 650's well, are they easy to drive? I plan on using these with the Essence STX II 7.1 sound card. I'm hoping for something that has compared to the HD 650's a larger sound stage, more neutral sound (less warm), better sounding with classicals, and faster speed. Can someone convince me to get these?

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #3,273 of 3,395
Hey guys, I was told that the AKG 7XXX were basically the k702 anniversaries with the memory foam and updated headband. For those with the memory pads and updated headband, how does it feel wearing glasses? Is it comfortable? Very?

Also looking for amp/dac, either the o2/ODAC (Although I read that they somewhat cut the bass down), the schiit M&M Stack, or something else. Would prefer it to be nice looking and not some little thingamajig. Other recommendations? I game and listen to all genres besides rock and rap.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #3,274 of 3,395
  Hey guys, I was told that the AKG 7XXX were basically the k702 anniversaries with the memory foam and updated headband. For those with the memory pads and updated headband, how does it feel wearing glasses? Is it comfortable? Very?

Also looking for amp/dac, either the o2/ODAC (Although I read that they somewhat cut the bass down), the schiit M&M Stack, or something else. Would prefer it to be nice looking and not some little thingamajig.

I used to wear glasses with my annies and they were fine.

How certain are you of that information? (similarities between annies and 7xx)

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #3,276 of 3,395
I wear glasses with my AKG 65 annies, they are a god send compared to other headphones with high pressure cups.

With that being said I never travel with them, can anyone recommend a travel case for this or something not too pricey?

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #3,277 of 3,395
I have the Annies and have joined the 7XX drop. Just don't tell my wife.

nicee! wld love to hear ur comparision after u receive the new 7xx

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #3,278 of 3,395
If what I read is true, from memory:

Older pads = shallow cup, wider soundstage, memory foam
New pads = deeper cup, better bass response at the expense of some soundstage, angled, gel padding

Is this correct?

Here's my impression

Older pads = shallow cup, smaller soundstage, more midrange
New pads = deeper cup, better bass speed, larger soundstage, 

As far as material of the pads, I'd have a hard time telling them apart. They both feel memory foam-ish, and the biggest differences is the depth of the pads. 

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #3,280 of 3,395
Hey guys I'm not sure if I should make a new thread regarding to this "issue" or not but I'll post it here anyway.

Basically I've been hearing grinding noises from my annie for both sides whenever I make any head movements such as simple tilting. I'm not sure the right word to use for this particular noise but it's similar to what you hear from friction noises.
I can't really pinpoint exactly where these noises are coming from but if I hold the ring part (the part marked with red rectangle below) while moving my head I won't hear those noises.

As a temporary solution, I have to wiggle the ring part around for few seconds before it "settles down" and hence makes no such noises when I move my head again. Though the noise will come back when I take the can off from my head and put them back on.
I've been using this can for nearly 2 years and this is the first time happening. I feel like the parts are not defective but instead it's worn out due to continues usage over the years (literally everyday with long listening sections).

I might be asking for impossible but is there a way to fix this? I thought of contacting repair department though I doubt they'll be able to offer a repair service or even better, replacement due to heavy usage.

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #3,281 of 3,395
  Hey guys I'm not sure if I should make a new thread regarding to this "issue" or not but I'll post it here anyway.

Basically I've been hearing grinding noises from my annie for both sides whenever I make any head movements such as simple tilting. I'm not sure the right word to use for this particular noise but it's similar to what you hear from friction noises.
I can't really pinpoint exactly where these noises are coming from but if I hold the ring part (the part marked with red rectangle below) while moving my head I won't hear those noises.

As a temporary solution, I have to wiggle the ring part around for few seconds before it "settles down" and hence makes no such noises when I move my head again. Though the noise will come back when I take the can off from my head and put them back on.
I've been using this can for nearly 2 years and this is the first time happening. I feel like the parts are not defective but instead it's worn out due to continues usage over the years (literally everyday with long listening sections).

I might be asking for impossible but is there a way to fix this? I thought of contacting repair department though I doubt they'll be able to offer a repair service or even better, replacement due to heavy usage.

Contact them, maybe they can tell you what is wrong and then you can see if it's worth trying to repair it yourself.

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #3,282 of 3,395
Quick question: has anyone here tried using the pads of the regular k702 with the annies and felt a sonic difference?
Curious because I might order a pair and would like to hear some thoughts before doing so.
Thanks

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #3,284 of 3,395
  Quick question: has anyone here tried using the pads of the regular k702 with the annies and felt a sonic difference?
Curious because I might order a pair and would like to hear some thoughts before doing so.
Thanks

Can't comment on the K702, but putting the Q701 pads on the K702 65AE makes them sound really really similar in sound. It would be impossible to hear a difference if you weren't carefully listening between the two. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #3,285 of 3,395
I am thinking about selling my annies since recently got a pair of HD800s. Anyone in NYC interested? I guess I should just put up an ad on the for sale section. 

Feel like selling my Annie too and get the Philips X2 for more fun factor since I already have the similar sound signature as Annie (H6). But I am affraid that it will be hard to find the Annie back in the future :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back