AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Mar 1, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #1,681 of 3,395
It's hard to tell where one pad ends and the other begins!

According to Dougr33, Fred at AKG quoted the Q701/K702 pads at $14.75 a pad.  That's probably what I'm going to go for - sell the Q701 and keep the Anniversary and pick up two K702 pads direct from AKG.

Someone's gonna have their hands full cleaning all that velour later... Ok, I'll stop now. :wink:

I guess a 2x markup on the Annie pads isn't too terrible, specially for something that's supposed to be a limited run.

They should just crank out the new pads indefinitely if they don't wanna add another permanent model to the line... Although you would think the flat headband HAS to be cheaper/easier to manufacture, should've been done ages ago.

There must just be someone at AKG with a huge hardon for the bumps... Err, that came out all wrong.

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #1,682 of 3,395
Hahaha, loco.

K701 pads are that cheap?

If I wasnt already so happy with the Annie pads for all uses, I would honestly get some K701 gray pads over the Q pads to further differentiate between them and the Annie pads. Also, because the K701 pads might be the thinner sounding ones, allowing for more instrument separation and space between sounds.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #1,683 of 3,395
Quote:
Someone's gonna have their hands full cleaning all that velour later... Ok, I'll stop now.
wink.gif

I guess a 2x markup on the Annie pads isn't too terrible, specially for something that's supposed to be a limited run.

They should just crank out the new pads indefinitely if they don't wanna add another permanent model to the line... Although you would think the flat headband HAS to be cheaper/easier to manufacture, should've been done ages ago.

There must just be someone at AKG with a huge hardon for the bumps... Err, that came out all wrong.

It seems strange to have a "stock" of these new pads. I suspect that there may be a full production coming soon. 

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #1,684 of 3,395
We all got your point already, o.k., gaming is your most useg for them, or, say 99,99% of all time on your head, so, just stop saying that they are most NATURAL sounding, cos, its a lie.

THX
Quote:
Lol, it's all good. That's the same impression I had with all three AKGs I have owned. Old K701 having the biggest due to the thinnest body of sound, Q701 having more body making soundstage seem smaller though it wasn't, and now again with the Annie.

Having spent all this time with the Annie, I could tell that the soundstage was just as big as I remember of the others, but that extra body in sound really takes up more space, so it's not as easy to tell that the soundstage is as expansive.

Been using the Annie for gaming since I've got them, and they are definitely on par with the Q701 for me in terms of positioning, soundstage, and detail. Just, that extra body really changes up the signature, so its not as immediately noticeable.

In reality, I would give all three models a 9.5 for competitive use, but few micropoints go towards the K701 over the Q701, and a few micropoints go towards the Q over the Annie due to immediacy. When you're in the middle of a gaming session however, all three have clear positional cues.

The reason why I say the Annie is the ultimate all rounder, is because it adds a natural quality to the sound in addition to all that gaming goodness.

I think people should understand that the Annie may have extra bass which adds fun, but that doesn't mean it's a bassy can. It just means that NOW, the tonal balance has been perfected and bass is no longer a deficiency. The Annie is the most natural sounding headphone I've heard to date.

I can't wait to get tdock's Q701 and put the Annie pads on. If it sounds like the Annie, it will from now on be my first recommendation for around $300.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #1,685 of 3,395
Quote:
Someone's gonna have their hands full cleaning all that velour later... Ok, I'll stop now.
wink.gif

Although you would think the flat headband HAS to be cheaper/easier to manufacture, should've been done ages ago.

tongue.gif

Yes, there's no reason to keep using bump bands after they went through the trouble of designing a bump free one.

Quote:
Hahaha, loco.

K701 pads are that cheap?

If I wasnt already so happy with the Annie pads for all uses, I would honestly get some K701 gray pads over the Q pads to further differentiate between them and the Annie pads. Also, because the K701 pads might be the thinner sounding ones, allowing for more instrument separation and space between sounds.

That's the price for the black angled Q70x/K702 pads.  Not sure about the K701 pads.

I thought the latest K701 pads were just like the Q70x/K702 pads, just a different color.

I swear I've seen some old pictures of K701 pads where the weren't angled and were pretty flat...

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #1,686 of 3,395
We all got your point already, o.k., gaming is your most useg for them, or, say 99,99% of all time on your head, so, just stop saying that they are most NATURAL sounding, cos, its a lie.

THX

My opinion, so I think I won't. Also, I'm referring to them being the most natural sounding out of the K70x/Q line, which to me isnt even a question. The old K701 was very dry and bass shy, with a upper mid bump that was quite fatiguing. The Q701 was more natural, but was still lacking in bass. The Annie has the most organic tone of the three, with the most body, and bass that actually sounds/feels like bass. If there was one downside, its that it doesn't have as much sparkle as the other two.

There is nothing in the frequency spectrum that sticks out. It's all very balanced in the Annie.

Gonna tell me it's fake sounding?

And these are impressions for MUSIC, and non-gaming purposes.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #1,687 of 3,395
I am not going to tell  you a single thing anymore, doen with it. All you do, is just fanboying up here, nothing more.

Yes, your opinion is your opinion, but stop making others fake. Your comments are brutal in many ways, your ignorance is top notch and your knowledge in natural sounding music is low down, as far as MY opinion goes.

Quote:
My opinion, so I think I won't. Also, I'm referring to them being the most natural sounding out of the K70x/Q line, which to me isnt even a question. The old K701 was very dry and bass shy, with a upper mid bump that was quite fatiguing. The Q701 was more natural, but was still lacking in bass. The Annie has the most organic tone of the three, with the most body, and bass that actually sounds/feels like bass. If there was one downside, its that it doesn't have as much sparkle as the other two.

Gonna tell me it's fake sounding?

And these are impressions for MUSIC, and non-gaming purposes.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #1,688 of 3,395
It seems strange to have a "stock" of these new pads. I suspect that there may be a full production coming soon. 

Well, they need to have *some* stock of the new pads regardless...

You can't sell a limited edition product with a 100% markup and then not have replacement parts on hand for a component that's most likely to get worn down and dirty (which just happens to be one of two key elements in the limited edition).

I mean, they could, but they'd be jerks and people would bitch about it (and then a 3rd party would swoop in to fill the void, taking potential revenue away from AKG). So it makes sense there'd be some stock, how much and for how long is another story.

That's probably something the supply/demand bean counters will figure out. :s

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #1,689 of 3,395
Stop making others fake? I don't even...

My comments are brutal because you're taking it as such. I don't have a clue what you're referring to anyways. You called my opinion a lie. I did no such thing to others. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Relax.

If by fake you mean that im saying the other non-Annies sound fake, sigh, I mean less natural in comparison. I happen to think the Q701 is a very balanced and organic headphone. I just find the Annie to further improve on the natural aspect of sound. As for the OLD K701, trust me, I'm one of many who thought they sounded artificial. I have no idea about the new K701.

The Q701 is one of my favorite headphones. My only personal gripe was that it was slightly bass deficient. Other than that, they were amazing. The Annie is literally for those who wanted just a bit more bass out of the Q701. Though it adds more than just bass.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #1,690 of 3,395
I think one misunderstanding is when I said 'they must be a sucker for soundstage, air, etc'

That's not calling someone a sucker. That is slang for someone who really likes something.

Like, I'm a sucker for girls with glasses. Or a sucker for velour pads.

I think people might be getting defensive out of misunderstandings, lol.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #1,691 of 3,395
Quote:

THX

Don't know about the natural sounding, but at least they are very balanced sounding to me. Haven't done any gaming yet but they work nicely with pretty much everything I listen. I don't, however, listen too much classical or jazz so I trust Blackmore's impressions in this regards. And that's why I'm considering to get the normal pads to occasionally listen those jazz records. Some folks have asked me via PM if these cans suit classical and I've been honest to say that they are probably not the best option.

And right when this thread got interesting it's heating up again...

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #1,692 of 3,395
Not from me, lol. If I say something, people really take it personally. I mean, seriously, it's just my opinion. Everyone really is more than free to say otherwise. It's as if all my posts have a hidden "NO U!" underneath. Lol. Seriously, don't take anything I say personally. Anyone.

And yes, I meant in a broad sense, that the Annie has the most balanced, organic tone of these AKGs. They aren't specialized in any specific field. I can easily see the Q701 being better for specific genres like Classical better, but overall, the Annie covers a broader range better, IMHO.

Mar 1, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #1,693 of 3,395
Quote:

THX

What? How is that a lie if it's just his opinion?

Mar 1, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #1,694 of 3,395
I stripped my headband pad mod off the Q701 so they would be nude for a mini photo shoot with them and the Anniversaries.

I forgot to cover them up again afterwards though, so now they're riding my head bareback.  I seem to feel more sensation, and there's a more intimate connection between me and the headphone this way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back