AKG K701/K702 vs. AKG Q701?
Jun 11, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #167 of 237
Quote:
how does it do good?

Seems like you are caught up on marketing things like 5.1 'surround sound' and automatically assume it's better since there are more channels involved. Surround sound means there are 5 channels and 1 subwoofer channel for sound. Stereo amplification means two channels, left and right. Almost all music is done in stereo, and it works out well since headphones are also always two channels (well, at least high end ones).

Amplifiers focus on improving the sound quality from those two channel sounds. It is a strange concept at first. Once you get these headphones, try plugging them into various outputs like your phone, a portable music player, and a home receiver if you have one. You'll notice each one sounds a little different, and maybe some will sound better than others. That's due to the different amplification systems in each one. 

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #168 of 237
An amplifier is exactly that, a unit that amplifies the power of the signal going into your headphones/speakers. Obviously, an amplifier will make your music's volume louder, but amplifiers can also affect the fullness of the sound that you're experiencing, the resonance in the bass frequencies, etc.

If you're looking for 5.1, then you're going to need a receiver or a sound card or something that supports it. You could always hook the Matrix M-Stage (or most any other amp) up to a surround sound system, though, as long as the amp has an applicable audio output (in this case, we say the amp is functioning as a "pre-amp").

Quote:
oh nice, does it add 5.1 or anything cool?

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #169 of 237
Quote:
An amplifier is exactly that, a unit that amplifies the power of the signal going into your headphones/speakers. Obviously, an amplifier will make your music's volume louder, but amplifiers can also affect the fullness of the sound that you're experiencing, the resonance in the bass frequencies, etc.

If you're looking for 5.1, then you're going to need a receiver or a sound card or something that supports it. You could always hook the Matrix M-Stage (or most any other amp) up to a surround sound system, though, as long as the amp has an applicable audio output (in this case, we say the amp is functioning as a "pre-amp").

Very Shway.... :D But are the any amps that truely add 5.1?

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #170 of 237
Quote:
Very Shway.... :D But are the any amps that truely add 5.1?

What do you mean "truely add 5.1"?  

5.1 surround is just digital signal processing.  An amps job is just to amplify whatever signal it receives.  The job of adding a a surround effect falls to the DAC (soundcard). 

The Astro mixamp has an amp and a soundcard built in to create the surround sound effect.  Same with PC soundcards like ASUS Xonar DG.

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #171 of 237
Quote:

What do you mean "truely add 5.1"?  

5.1 surround is just digital signal processing.  An amps job is just to amplify whatever signal it receives.  The job of adding a a surround effect falls to the DAC (soundcard). 

The Astro mixamp has an amp and a soundcard built in to create the surround sound effect.  Same with PC soundcards like ASUS Xonar DG.

Well a few people told me 5.1 was a gimmick. So does the MixAmp actually do 5.1 or DSS do 7.1 or is it not worth it?

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #172 of 237
Quote:
Well a few people told me 5.1 was a gimmick. So does the MixAmp actually do 5.1 or DSS do 7.1 or is it not worth it?

It's virtual surround.  Headphones with multiple drivers such as the AX Pro are more gimmicky as their driver sound quality is bad. 

Dolby Headphone is what the Mixamp and DSS (Version 1, not Version 2) use.  If you have decent headphones it's definitely worth it.

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #173 of 237
Quote:

It's virtual surround.  Headphones with multiple drivers such as the AX Pro are more gimmicky as their driver sound quality is bad. 

Dolby Headphone is what the Mixamp and DSS (Version 1, not Version 2) use.  If you have decent headphones it's definitely worth it.

So does Zalmic, K702, MixAmp work? Or should I go with an O2 amp or even M-Stage?

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #174 of 237
Quote:
So does Zalmic, K702, MixAmp work? Or should I go with an O2 amp or even M-Stage?

Looking at the MixAmp, I have trouble imagining it drive the mighty k701. Only a handful of portable amps can drive the k701's properly. Plus at $130 I have trouble imagining how it could be profitable when the O2 costs about $100 built from cheap, ordinary parts.

The O2 drives the k701 with authority. Even low gain reaches high enough volumes, and you get truly transparent performance. The M-Stage has a similar level of performance as the O2, both are excellent, transparent amps at quite a low price. Personally I prefer the O2. It sounds drier - and by that I mean it sounds utterly transparent. The M-Stage has a tiny, tiny tint of warmth compared to the O2... although the differences are minute. Objectively, the O2 lives up to its name with pretty much flawless objective performance... I do like the O2, although both are an excellent choice. Personally, if I was looking for surround sound, I would be thinking of an Asus Soundcard feeding into the O2.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #175 of 237
Quote:
Looking at the MixAmp, I have trouble imagining it drive the mighty k701. Only a handful of portable amps can drive the k701's properly. Plus at $130 I have trouble imagining how it could be profitable when the O2 costs about $100 built from cheap, ordinary parts.

The O2 drives the k701 with authority. Even low gain reaches high enough volumes, and you get truly transparent performance. The M-Stage has a similar level of performance as the O2, both are excellent, transparent amps at quite a low price. Personally I prefer the O2. It sounds drier - and by that I mean it sounds utterly transparent. The M-Stage has a tiny, tiny tint of warmth compared to the O2... although the differences are minute. Objectively, the O2 lives up to its name with pretty much flawless objective performance... I do like the O2, although both are an excellent choice. Personally, if I was looking for surround sound, I would be thinking of an Asus Soundcard feeding into the O2.

Indeed. Though I will be using this mostly on my xbox as I have speakers on for my computer. I wanted something better than TV speakers or turtle beaches but with a way that only I can hear my games as not to disturb my wife when she reads in bed late at night. (Though she tells me I'm too loud anyways! lol) 

The only reason and I mean ONLY reason  I was looking at the MixAmp was to see if it truly processed 3D positioning like it says it does. I play a lot of FPS so having an advantage I can get would be great.

Currently my squad on Ghost Recon Future Soldier is ranked 3 so we are talking about going competitive - this in mind - what setup, no matter the price, would you recommend for competitive gaming? Would anyone recommend?

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #176 of 237
Quote:
Indeed. Though I will be using this mostly on my xbox as I have speakers on for my computer. I wanted something better than TV speakers or turtle beaches but with a way that only I can hear my games as not to disturb my wife when she reads in bed late at night. (Though she tells me I'm too loud anyways! lol) 

The only reason and I mean ONLY reason  I was looking at the MixAmp was to see if it truly processed 3D positioning like it says it does. I play a lot of FPS so having an advantage I can get would be great.

Currently my squad on Ghost Recon Future Soldier is ranked 3 so we are talking about going competitive - this in mind - what setup, no matter the price, would you recommend for competitive gaming? Would anyone recommend?

No matter the price?  Those are dangerous words.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-6-10-2012-ultrasone-pro-2900-added-many-edits

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #177 of 237
If you are into gaming , IMO go to specialized Surround headphones. They tuned better for surround DSP whether its EAX or equivalent. While audiophile headphone tuned better for analog music.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #179 of 237
Quote:
I dont know what that is but if you can link it I would love it.

No link, cos i'm not into gaming headset. Sorry, you can google the gaming surround headset review, Razer for example . Last time i read it , that gaming headphone have specialized their sound in surround department with a lot of gaming-bass. 
While audiophile specialized their sound in hifi sound refinement. Gaming headset wont have refinement Sennheiser, AKG, and other top audiophile headphone maker. Vice versa.
If you are into gaming go directly with gaming headphone, compared to music hifi headphone.
  The same unwritten law also hold true for speakers, where high-end audiophile usually come in 2.0 or 2.1 setup. For surround movie theatre there's 7.1 setup. This 7.1 music performance wont be as good as audiophile grade 2.0 / 2.1. Period.
IMHO, Just get the right gear for the right stuff.

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #180 of 237
Quote:

No link, cos i'm not into gaming headset. Sorry, you can google the gaming surround headset review, Razer for example . Last time i read it , that gaming headphone have specialized their sound in surround department with a lot of gaming-bass. 
While audiophile specialized their sound in hifi sound refinement. Gaming headset wont have refinement Sennheiser, AKG, and other top audiophile headphone maker. Vice versa.
If you are into gaming go directly with gaming headphone, compared to music hifi headphone.
  The same unwritten law also hold true for speakers, where high-end audiophile usually come in 2.0 or 2.1 setup. For surround movie theatre there's 7.1 setup. This 7.1 music performance wont be as good as audiophile grade 2.0 / 2.1. Period.
IMHO, Just get the right gear for the right stuff.

Oh I don't want a garbage headset anyway. lol I'm leaning towards the Q701 atm because I found them for 234 instead of 284. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back