AKG K701/K702 vs. AKG Q701?
Feb 5, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #46 of 237
Quote:Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer 

Quote:Originally Posted by Audiophile1811 

"As for adjusting my attitude... I'm not here to please anybody.

Well than don't cry about it when people aren't nice to you and don't bend over backwards to help you."

Members such as the OP rarely, if ever, contribute to the site yet feel a sense of entitlement. Luckily they usually fade away.

Note to OP: No-one owes you anything. You might not care if anyone likes you so don't be surprised if no-one helps you either. I'm done with this OP. I know of many established members that will be also.

Feb 5, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #47 of 237
Please don't expect me to take away if nobody sees any contribution to the site.
These are a few links that peaked my interest to start this thread:
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/headphones/akg-q701-915894/review

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/akg-q701-quincy-jones.php

http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-q701premium-class-reference-headphones-quincy-jones-signature-line#reviews

All these professional reviews do seem a  little interesting. Any thread on this site that discusses the sound of either the K701 or K702
do not match the descriptions of the the Q701's above. Of course every person has their own opinion but the K-models all share certain
sound characteristics to every-single-pair of ears. Are the Q-models exactly the same as the K-models? It didn't seem so when I read these. When the Q-Line was released I had a feeling there wasn't a single change in sound, but I didn't make up my mind then. Those reviews were enough to prove that there was at least a minor difference other than their design and color. I trust Head-Fi enough to give me an honest answer because my point of view is from the other side of a computer screen; and if I could offer this community more, believe me, I would. For now this is all I can give and I hope it helps.
Thank you,
Andrew

Feb 5, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #48 of 237
Please don't expect me to take away if nobody sees any contribution to the site.
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/headphones/akg-q701-915894/review

http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-q701premium-class-reference-headphones-quincy-jones-signature-line#reviews

All these professional reviews do seem a  little interesting. Any thread on this site that discusses the sound of either the
K701 or K702 do not match the descriptions of the the Q701's above. Of course every person has their own opinion but
the K-models all share certain sound characteristics to every-single-pair of ears. Are the Q-models exactly the same as
the K-models? It didn't seem so when I read these. When the Q-Line was released I had a feeling there wasn't a single change
in sound, but I didn't make up my mind then. Those reviews were enough to prove that there was at least a minor difference other
than their design and color. I trust Head-Fi enough to give me an honest answer because my point of view is from the other side
of a computer screen; and if I could offer this community more, believe me, I would. For now this is all I can give and I hope it helps.
Thank you,
Andrew
(Sorry for submitting this twice, I made a mistake)

Feb 5, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #49 of 237
If there is an upgrade in the driver or significant change in the housing or pads wouldn't AKG come right out and say it in their advertising? Does anyone know if they have published any statement or statements to that effect? Or is the only significant change a stylistic one, which to most of us is probably meaningless, since we can't even see the phones when we're listening to music...which is their main function.

Feb 5, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #50 of 237
Well I had a similar problem with you too where I wanted the answer to something that no one else had. The only solution was to actually just buy everything myself and sell them back out. But my situation involved discontinued headphones or demanded headphones so selling them back out didn't involve much of a loss. You're situation, however, is uncertain. I'm sure there'd be a demand for the Q701 though if you write a fair and thorough review on them since you'd be bringing some awareness on them. Whether they sound different or the same as the K701 does not matter too much because there is a small supply of Q701s in the FS forum. I'm sure they'll sell at a reasonable used price if you don't return them.

Quote:

All these professional reviews do seem a  little interesting. Any thread on this site that discusses the sound of either the
K701 or K702 do not match the descriptions of the the Q701's above. Of course every person has their own opinion but
the K-models all share certain sound characteristics to every-single-pair of ears. Are the Q-models exactly the same as
the K-models? It didn't seem so when I read these. When the Q-Line was released I had a feeling there wasn't a single change
in sound, but I didn't make up my mind then. Those reviews were enough to prove that there was at least a minor difference other
than their design and color. I trust Head-Fi enough to give me an honest answer because my point of view is from the other side
of a computer screen; and if I could offer this community more, believe me, I would. For now this is all I can give and I hope it helps.
Thank you,
Andrew
(Sorry for submitting this twice, I made a mistake)

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #51 of 237

Quote:
Well I had a similar problem with you too where I wanted the answer to something that no one else had. The only solution was to actually just buy everything myself and sell them back out. But my situation involved discontinued headphones or demanded headphones so selling them back out didn't involve much of a loss. You're situation, however, is uncertain. I'm sure there'd be a demand for the Q701 though if you write a fair and thorough review on them since you'd be bringing some awareness on them. Whether they sound different or the same as the K701 does not matter too much because there is a small supply of Q701s in the FS forum. I'm sure they'll sell at a reasonable used price if you don't return them.

Thank you. I might have to consider doing this when I have the opportunity.
In case that someone does this before me, please try to describe your
experience with the product.

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #52 of 237
why is the Quincy Jones 200 bucks more then?

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #54 of 237

Quote:
why is the Quincy Jones 200 bucks more then?

Maybe because it's a "new" product and they want to keep making money.
They do seem like good value, but what I don't understand is why the K701
or K702 is so cheap on Ebay or Amazon. It just doesn't make sense that 
they depreciate so badly even-though they're so common.

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #55 of 237

Quote:
Why did the black plastic MacBooks cost more than the white ones?

are you sure its not because they had more ram/memory. I actually have a black macbook, and now they don't make them anymore. Can anyone say "vintage"

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #56 of 237

Maybe they cost more because AKG has to pay Quincy... Funny, I see that Ludacris and 50Cent have head phones coming out. It reminds me when all the shoe companies started making signature shoes after the success or Air Jordans. Thanks, Beats. But I would think AKG would market any significant upgrades that would make the q versions improved over the k, no?

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #57 of 237
I posit that the 701's and 702's sound identical as well as the Quincy Jones model but in reality even the same model headphones could sound different. Because of minor differences one HD650 (for example) could sound ever so slightly different than another HD650. But, I believe it's more the reviewer wanting/expecting to hear something different. Show us some electronic measurements that indicate a difference and we'll go from there.

Feb 6, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #58 of 237
who is this Quincy Jones character?

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #59 of 237

Quote:
Quote:

are you sure its not because they had more ram/memory. I actually have a black macbook, and now they don't make them anymore. Can anyone say "vintage"

It had the exact same specs and cost $150 more because it was black and because Apple knew people who pay just because. Computers don't really become vintage. They become obsolete and junk.

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #60 of 237

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It had the exact same specs and cost $150 more because it was black and because Apple knew people who pay just because. Computers don't really become vintage. They become obsolete and junk.

No, they definitely become vintage...  There's plenty of people that run old Apple, NeXT, IBM, etc. PCs for little reason other than as a hobby.  I wouldn't doubt that in 15-25 years the black MacBooks will go for twice as much on eBay as the white ones (although neither will be particularly expensive, of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back