AKG K701/K702 vs. AKG Q701?
Jan 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #211 of 237
Quote:

It really wouldn't be a big change for them and would make their cables much more useful. 

Useful for MAYBE %.8 of their audience. The other %99+ now have to use an adapter (which equals additional cost and likely doesn't test well in marketing focus groups). I'm not sure offering balanced as a stock option on the K701 offers them any benefit whatsoever. We can have another discussion elsewhere over whether it would offer any sonic benefit either.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #212 of 237
Quote:

Useful for MAYBE %.8 of their audience. The other %99+ now have to use an adapter (which equals additional cost and likely doesn't test well in marketing focus groups). I'm not sure offering balanced as a stock option on the K701 offers them any benefit whatsoever. We can have another discussion elsewhere over whether it would offer any sonic benefit either.

I wouldn't go into any sonic benefits from "biwiring" and I agree that a small portion of the users would end up using it. However, having a mini 4 pin XLR on the actual cup of the K702/Q701 would be very useful, and wouldn't really cost them anything. You could still include the same green cable, but on the one side would be a mini 4 pin xlr and the other would have a 1/4" TRS. This wouldn't affect anyone in the "99%"  
tongue.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #215 of 237
I owned the AKG K701 (bassheavy, non bassheavy), Q701, K702 and the K702 Anni with a Lake People G100 headphone amp. The best of all was for me the K702 and the K702 Anni, but the price of the Anni is for me too high and i will prefer the K702 for his price.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #217 of 237
Hi. Could anyone please do a thorough comparison of the AKG Quincy Jones Q701 and the K701 or K702?
Please specify their differences and try to be as unbiased and fair as possible.
Thanks, A1811.

I own a pair of k701s and just bought the Qs for my girlfriend. The k's have less reverb with loud bass and the Qs are a bit more "juicy" in the midrange. I prefer the k to the Q. Better balance if you ask me. The plastic alters the sound just that much. The trade off is weight. I've tried the 702s as well and frankly those are the k. I prefer hardwiring to mini xlr simply because there is less to break. Imagine breaking a pin. On the other hand being able to switch out that trs for xlr could be worth it if that's what your equipment requires. Personal preference and all.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #219 of 237
  Why so many people think the K701 is better than Q701..

I don't think it is a question of "better" I think it is a matter of slightly "different."  I prefer the K701's crisper, cleaner sound to the fuller, slightly richer sound of the Q701.  I'll be the first to acknowledge, however, that we are talking about a rather subtle difference. For the me, the K701's just sound a little better through my tube amp than the Q701's; could be the amp, could the the cans, I'm not sure.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #220 of 237
A lot of the Q701 and K70x folks use the Matrix M Stage.
It has great synergy with those 'phones.
You can't go wrong with a pair of Q701s and the mighty, mighty Matrix M S.

+1 For the Matrix M-Stage

Best solid state amp I had used, unfortunately it did not pair well with my LCD-2's otherwise I would of latched on to it.

I wonder how the 701/2 series headphones pair with the Compass 2 Sabre equipped.

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #221 of 237
off-topic

Yesterday I had found a dealer (not online store) near Vienna, Austria - which have two K701 made in Austria in stock.

If anyone interested - please send me a PM

May 13, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #222 of 237
I have done a lot of thread reading on the AKG K702, and AKG Q701, Still get a clear answer. Can somebody tell me which is the better one to get?

Right now, I can get the Q701 for $199.99

Can get the AKG K702 $221.99    On a $22 difference.

Amps that I just acquired..

O2+ODAC
Fiio E18

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #223 of 237
  Because 99.5% of the headphone using audience doesn't know what balanced is or have equipment to take advantage of it? 

.....what does balanced mean and what equipment is needed to take advantage of it? 
tongue.gif
confused.gif
 honestly though, I don't know 

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #224 of 237
With all due respect, why would an audio person "in the know" own two expensive pair of headphones that sound exactly the same? Just to be able to make comparisons for someone else? I did extensive research on this months ago when I was able to get a new pair of 702s for $189. The 701/702s are IDENTICAL electronically. Now, it is a different story if someone wants to think the cord/earpiece colors or nubs on the headband can make a difference in sound signature. To each his own. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #225 of 237
I am considering buying the AKG Q701's, this will be a major purchase as i never had any intention of spending this much.
I have just sent back the UE6000 as they were clouded by bass and sounded a bit too lively and jumpy for my ears.

In my shop testing i liked the B & W 7's (far too expensive) and am toying with treating myself this christmas/after xmas sales.
$185 currently shipped to UK from Amazon.com

I have no headphone amp/soundcard for PC/DAC/X1 etc.
Just a cheap mp3/flac player, laptop and a Yamaha RXV-475 AVR/PS3 for Films

Q.  Would it be a waste getting such a high end product, I would use them for Music-some film watching. Is the build quality good?

Q. I can get the AKG 551's/AKG Pro 612's for much cheaper, has anyone heard them all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back