AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Oct 9, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #228 of 2,435
I've recevied my K601 (#1644), and have been listening to them for a very long time now (Almost can't take them off).

I'm listening through an iRiver H332 and a Corda XXS amplifier, and have also tried it with a 2nd gen touch through a LOD and a Cowon D2.

Listening to Jazz and Classical with these phones were spine tingling. For example, listening to "cry me a river" by Diana Krall, the soundstage was excellent, with very detailed vocals. The guitar solo bit in the song was especially mind-blowing. Trying something more classical such as Beethoven (I've been listening to classical a lot lately as it helps me concentrate when studying), again the sound was excellent even though the treble is a bit recessed.

What I find lacking is Bass, as listening to something faster such as Rage Against the machine and Audioslave revealed that they lacked that nice, punchy character of my Grado SR60, which I think I may keep around as I love them for rock. Obviously, the SR60's vocals aren't on par with the K601 IMHO, but I find the K601 much more comfortable to listen to over long periods of time, something that I couldn't say for my very bright SR60. Replacing the iRiver with my 2nd gen touch seemed to improve matters, but then the volume through LOD was way too loud for my ears to be comfortable, and turning down the volume too much on the XXS induces channel imbalance problems. The D2 sounded horrible with the K601 and XXS though, way too neutral and lacking in depth for my liking.

I find the K601 very comfortable to wear, if a bit on the heavy side
tongue.gif
They were much bigger than I was expecting. Hooking it up to my CLip + FiiOP combo, I was surprised at the sound. Good, if a bit bloaty bass, but the treble was a bit rubbish. Then again, it was only for fun.

I have a feeling that my XXS is holding these monster cans back. Time for a home amp I think, but the question is which one???

EDIT: Switching over to my Soundrigor amplifier, there is much more Bass, but its a bit bloady and "aritificial". Also, the trble doesn't seem as nice as the XXS.

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #229 of 2,435
Figured I'd stop by to say that after much deliberation and not knowing what to do, I decided to just buy the K601s (#14,042) and have been very happy.

For others who were in my position and don't have $10,000 invested in equipment and are reading 800 reviews and posts on this site, don't have the highest end of equipment, and are considering the K601s, just buy them; you'll be happy. After reading so much about them lacking bass or not as dynamic (if that's the word to use here) as others like some Beyers, I have to say that I am satisfied overall and have really been enjoying listening to them through my Bithead. Mind you, the only other headphones I can compare them to are my SR60s and my Shure Se210s but already I can say that they are much more relaxing to listen to than the Grados. I can't say what the 701s sound like but I can say that I probably won't miss whatever it is they have to offer.

For the sake of not writing 10 pages, though, I just want to give my recommendation for these headphones and say like everyone else that you won't be disappointed. I paid $200 new and know they go for a good amount less used and are worth it in my opinion.

Now, I'm looking to ditch the Bithead and get something better, maybe even full-size to really see what these headphones can do...

Thanks everyone!

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #230 of 2,435
#3333 reporting in.

Got mine today, used. Have listened to a bit of music on them already, but i've set them to burn in. Weird thing is, my Technics cd-player doesn't have a replay button so i'm not sure how to let them burn in at night. I can of course restart the cd when i'm home but it's irritating. Tips?
Anyway, really liking the sound so far, but also looking forward to more burn-in.

Nov 9, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #233 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akselpaksel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
#3333 reporting in.

Got mine today, used. Have listened to a bit of music on them already, but i've set them to burn in. Weird thing is, my Technics cd-player doesn't have a replay button so i'm not sure how to let them burn in at night. I can of course restart the cd when i'm home but it's irritating. Tips?
Anyway, really liking the sound so far, but also looking forward to more burn-in.

Try the burn-in with radio station which broadcast music for 24 hours. A better way is to use computer or MP3 player through external amplifier with decent audio output to drive K601. I have used following setup for burn-in (24x7 for at least 100 hours) many times:

iMac > Toslink cable > DAC (headphone output) > K601
Pure DAB digital radio > Toslink cable > DAC (headphone output) > K601
iPod nano > LOD > headphone amplifier (such as iBasso P3 Heron) > K601

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #235 of 2,435
For those interested, HR has the K601 for less than $100 shipped. Use the coupon codes 'k601' and 'cheapship'

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #236 of 2,435
hoodlum, ur awesome. Gonna get myself a pair if shipping isn't too high to EU.

Oh, I forgot about customs... this sucks. It will probably cost me 200 USD total.

Anyhow, how does this headphone compare to the HD600? The HD600 costs 10 euro more than the K601 if I buy it from ze Germans. Is it well spent? Because the K601 is sooo pretty.

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #238 of 2,435
My first post on the forum, long time visitor tho.

And i have just picked up a pair of K601 and im positive that i will grow on them, at the moment i lack proper amplification, but they still play my ears off, i would like to be able to turn it up a notch tho
k701smile.gif

Anyone that have used these with the rega ear?

oh yeah, serial: 8534

Jan 8, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #239 of 2,435
I've had my K-601s for a couple of months now. I have to say I'm very impressed with them, especially the openness and comfort both physically and sonically. I put the K-701 pads on mine, though, because I find them better looking and slightly more comfortable. I'm using these with the SOHA II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back