AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Jul 4, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #211 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, if I prefer HD600 to HD650, and find the DT880 and K701 too bright up top, will the K601 be to my possible liking??
confused.gif

Gregg,

I think you'll find the K601s more preferable to your personal biases than the K701s. The K601s are warmer sounding, more organic and a bit mellower - but not quite as neutral - than the K701s. Give them a try and ket us know what you think.

BTW, I'm still awaiting (but no longer with baited breath) for you impressions of the Esoteric SA-10???!!!

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #212 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then again where i read about the coloring of the k601s, the reviewer was comparing them to a k701 and i think a dt880 which if i remember right are claimed to be two incredibly neutral headphones.

Well, stacked up against that competition almost every other headphone will come across as colored. So yes, using the K701s as the measuring stick the K601s are a bit colored - warmer, more organic sounding, a bit rolled on either end (but in a positive way). Still, they beat 80% of the competition for neautrality in my book.

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #213 of 2,435
K601 number 8748 here.
I received them yesterday. The more I listen to them, the more I enjoy them. Great headphone!
Did anyone compared them to the K400?
Would love to read a K400 vs K601 review.

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #214 of 2,435
After reading this, I'm starting to think I should have gotten 601s instead of 501s.

How do the 601s compare to something like PL2500s?

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #215 of 2,435
Just ordered a pair of k601s for myself!

I think this question has partially been answered on the head-fi forums, but I'm just wondering if it's absolutely necessary to amp these phones from my Macbook Pro. If not, would a cMoy suffice? This is my first dive into the serious headphone community, and I'm not quiet ready to make another major investment on a good amp.

Something to consider: Since I'm a beginner to this, I may not notice some of the more intricate differences that some of the more seasoned headphone audiophiles might.

Thanks a bunch!

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #216 of 2,435
a good dedicated amp is a must for the 601's ($200+ desktop amp). Not only will the volume be too low, but they will not sound all that good without an amp.

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #218 of 2,435
I tried running the K601 out of a cmoy. Don't do it. I'm currently using the iBasso D1, and I can still tell these cans have more to give. I'm currently looking into a decent home amp.

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #220 of 2,435
is the k601 paired with an Creek OBH-21 a good combo? They are both at the top of my budget.

I listen to alot of Rock/Indie

EDIT: The source will be an ASUS Xonar D2 soundcard, so soley PC until I buy a CD player (considering the Marantz 5001 btw)

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #221 of 2,435
I have the K601 on the Creek OBH-21SE (I think it's the same as the OBH-21 with an improved power supply), but I haven't had any other headphone amp so I can't really compare. I've run it from a few integrated amps before but the source has been different so that doesn't help.

However, it powers the K601 fine with spades of volume, and was also fine when I used to run my Creative X-Fi into it. I currently run it out of a Cambridge Audio 740C and the combo is fairly neutral. I don't know much about the Marantz players, so I'll have to research the sound type.

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #222 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the K601 on the Creek OBH-21SE (I think it's the same as the OBH-21 with an improved power supply), but I haven't had any other headphone amp so I can't really compare. I've run it from a few integrated amps before but the source has been different so that doesn't help.

However, it powers the K601 fine with spades of volume, and was also fine when I used to run my Creative X-Fi into it. I currently run it out of a Cambridge Audio 740C and the combo is fairly neutral. I don't know much about the Marantz players, so I'll have to research the sound type.

Thanks thats good to know, so theres no problems with hissing, clarity good?

(I dont know much about this stuff
tongue.gif
)

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #223 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxymoron08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks thats good to know, so theres no problems with hissing, clarity good?

(I dont know much about this stuff
tongue.gif
)

Never noticed any audible hissing, but personally I'd expect that when paying that amount for a product dedicated to amplification. It's funny though because as you brought it up about noise flaws, I remember when I used to run my X-Fi into the amp and turn the amp's volume control up fast it would sometimes give a bit of a crackle. I would have thought it would be related to the amp itself, but ever since I've been using the 740C I haven't noticed it, so perhaps it was the Creative X-Fi. On that note, any noise flaws you do hear will probably be down to the sound card, because I never notice anything with the 740C.

Oh, and another good thing about the OBH-21 is that it has analogue outputs so you can chain link equipment. Very useful if you use something like active desktop speakers as I do, because the CD player has only one analogue output, yet I can still feed it into the speakers because of the OBH-21's chain link. You don't have to turn the amp on to have the signal go through either, so I guess all it is doing is linking the inputs to the outputs.
Of course, there is a down side to this, because if you have two sources you want to run through the amplifier, you only have the single inputs. You can't always win, but then I didn't even think about these things when I purchased mine, and it's worked out well because sometimes I want to watch movies or play games with speakers, and this way I can have the quality benefits of my 740C whilst doing so (not that I've tried out of my X-Fi to see if I'd notice on the speakers, but it's easier doing this anyway).

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #224 of 2,435
I have an eye on this cans for a long time now. I think it will be a decent upgrade from ER6i. I wonder if my iPhone can drive this without the help of DAC or AMP?

I dont mind the clunky size but I do want to use it mobile. Just worry that iPhone won't be able to drive it. Any comments?

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #225 of 2,435
Your source wont be able to drive these cans very good...

I got these a week ago and i absolutely must say these are my favourite pair of headphones over anything i have used yet. They go great with my travagans red which is a bonus and have opened up alot so far, gettin better by each day. Cant wait to hit the 300hr mark
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back