AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Mar 25, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #2,132 of 2,435
  I'm torn between buying these or the K702. I feel uncomfortable with high treble and enjoy me some bass. Which one would be a better choice?

I have the K612 and like them a lot but IMO they can be picky (amps & DACs) and also like something with power...I have tube and SS and run them from my SS amp.
Just my 2

Mar 26, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #2,134 of 2,435
I'm torn between buying these or the K702. I feel uncomfortable with high treble and enjoy me some bass. Which one would be a better choice?

Get the K612; when i compared the K7XX to the K612 they had roughly the same amount of bass with the K612 having the less peircing treble. AKG states that the K7XX has a bass bump over the K702 so the K612 will be closer to what you want

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #2,135 of 2,435
Just snagged a K612 a couple weeks ago. I always found them intriguing but had never got a chance to try them until now. I'm glad I gave them a shot!  I actually like them better than my K701 (which has the K7xx memory foam pads and sounds very close to the K7xx) -- they seem to be more even across the frequency range with a more forward mid. I always liked the way AKGs handle the bass too -- fast, tight, and impactful, but without becoming overbearing.

I only have two gripes. First, the upper mids can be a bit harsh with some material, but this same tonal characteristic also makes them sound outstanding with acoustic music (especially plucked strings, like guitars, banjos, and mandolins), so I can't really fault them for this. The other gripe is comfort. The ear pads are pretty firm and they press my glasses into my head a little more than I like, but it's tolerable. The headband can also put a bit of excess pressure on the crown of my head too, which can become annoying over time. Since I like these headphones enough to keep them, I think I'll perform the same headband comfort mod I did with my K701.

In case anyone is interested in the mod, it's based on the premise that I don't need an adjustable headband -- I'm the only one using these headphones, so they only have to fit my head! Basically, I just remove the existing headband (leather, plastic, sliding guides, elastics and all), and then I suspend a 1" wide nylon strap across the two headband stops:

Takes all the pressure off the crown of the head and makes the AKGs much more comfortable IMO.

Mar 27, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #2,136 of 2,435
To this day I feel the K612s to have excellent value at ~$170 new. There are many phones in that price but considering that these go in competition with the Beyer and even Sennheiser HD6X0, makes them a great buy. The AKG house sound that the K6 and K7s share is very well tuned, and the fact that you can enjoy these stock as well as bass modded yet still keep a great really makes them special in my book.

I've owned the K712, K7xx, and Q701. The K712 I enjoyed the most for the comfort, sound (stock) and build quality but the K612s come very close and I even prefer a bass modded K612 over a bass modded Q701 and stock K7xx as I find the sound still very well controlled over the other two with the same bass mod.

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #2,137 of 2,435

In case anyone is interested in the mod, it's based on the premise that I don't need an adjustable headband -- I'm the only one using these headphones, so they only have to fit my head! Basically, I just remove the existing headband (leather, plastic, sliding guides, elastics and all), and then I suspend a 1" wide nylon strap across the two headband stops:

Takes all the pressure off the crown of the head and makes the AKGs much more comfortable IMO.

I'm much interested in this!  But I cannot see the 1" wide nylon strap in the picture.  Is it where the 2 red arrows are pointing at?

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #2,138 of 2,435

I'm much interested in this!  But I cannot see the 1" wide nylon strap in the picture.  Is it where the 2 red arrows are pointing at?

That was just a stock photo; the arrows are pointing at the headband stops which can be used to secure the ends of the nylon strap. I'll take an actual picture of my K701 when I get home today to show the mod.

Mar 31, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #2,141 of 2,435
Joined the club again. Used to have a K601 :) which was awesome sounding. Purchased the K612 Pro for a ridiculous price and couldnt pass it up. $100aud cheaper then the K7XX aswell :D

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #2,145 of 2,435
Decided to reduce the inventory of equipment I have presently and listened to all my full size cans which are DT880, HD600, K612, Superlux EVO & HD668B. Believe it or not the first to get sold off were my HD600!
There was just something about the K612 that made me want to keep it. I power them from a burly SS amp that has plenty of power and pairs well with them sonically. Bass is more than adequate, midrange sounds fine IMO... I find there is a slight issue with treble on some material but it only manifests itself a small percentage of the time and it may be an issue with those particular recordings... slight raggedness in the highs but only at times. Most times the treble sounds fantastic. Percussion sounds very good with texture and detail. The K612 has to be one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn (I have a large noggin) and they are very light. I think it's a testament to their excellent sound that I would sell the HD600 and keep them. I need to sell off one more pair of my full size cans so the process continues...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back