AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Apr 7, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #2,148 of 2,435
Just got my K612 Pro, the build is no where near my old K601 from memory. These are made in China, what ive seen you can luck out and get a pair made in Austria on the odd occasion. However they do sound damn good! No issues with them, check over and so far no bass rattle or visible defects. Hit well above the price i paid for them... sheesh.

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #2,149 of 2,435
Just got my K612 Pro, the build is no where near my old K601 from memory. These are made in China, what ive seen you can luck out and get a pair made in Austria on the odd occasion. However they do sound damn good! No issues with them, check over and so far no bass rattle or visible defects. Hit well above the price i paid for them... sheesh.

I've had mine for some time and I use em on the regular. The only issue I had was one of the solder coming off inside the where the cable goes in but that was my fault for having butter fingers and having it slip out of my hands into hardwood. Still works perfect after the resodler though.

Hits WAY ABOVE it's price point.

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #2,151 of 2,435

Mine are also built in China and I've had zero issue's and they sound excellent IMO. great full size open can! Mine are comfortable too.

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #2,152 of 2,435
Hi all, I jumped in the deep end and bought a pair of AKG K612 Pros as my first pair of headphones! 

I'm using them primarily for singleplayer gaming/movies. However, the bass is...very underwhelming.

The bass on my cheapie USB Plantronic .Audio 655s sounds better. My brother's Sennheiser Momentum (on-ears) bass blew them away.

Both headsets seemed to have a much fuller bass sound.

I'm using a Xonar DGX with the amp on max setting (exciter mode). I understand they are 'studio' headphones but the bass is really inadequate. Is this normal? 

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #2,153 of 2,435
  Hi all, I jumped in the deep end and bought a pair of AKG K612 Pros as my first pair of headphones! 

I'm using them primarily for singleplayer gaming/movies. However, the bass is...very underwhelming.

The bass on my cheapie USB Plantronic .Audio 655s sounds better. My brother's Sennheiser Momentum (on-ears) bass blew them away.

I'm using a Xonar DGX with the amp on max setting (exciter mode). I understand they are 'studio' headphones but the bass is really inadequate. Is this normal? 

Mine have a nice lush low end to them...not bass lite on my system = Keces amp, Maverick Audio DAC & Onkyo CD player. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #2,154 of 2,435

Nope, the bass is quite adequate, quite natural if you ask me.
But yes, they are not basshead headphones, almost no open headphone is.

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #2,155 of 2,435

Hello and welcome to Head-fi, you're just getting your feet wet and some of us are in deep waters (I'm about neck high but still can feel the bottom
biggrin.gif
)

You want to blow away your brothers Momentum, look up the Q701 bass mod and never look back. It applies to the K612Pro and keeps it's beautiful mids/highs in tact but if the music calls for bass, bass you'll get.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/660408/reversible-akg-k701-bass-mod

FF to 3mins to begin. Poor editing/showing but you'll need to remove the center plastic with the Q off first and removing the 2 screws. He goes over this but then proceeds to just pop off the white portion because the screws were already removed, if you didn't pay attention you could be trying to remove the white portion without removing the screws and can break something.

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #2,156 of 2,435
Thanks for the replies.
I just wanted to mention I don't want 'loud' bass, it's just that the sennheisers seemed to have more low end sounds that weren't in my k612s. Felt like I could hear alot more.
Is this a problem with my DGX amp? its rated for 150ohm phones though.

That bass mod looks really interesting!

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #2,157 of 2,435

"Sounds better?"  Or "has more quantity?"  

AKG 601 and 701 series aren't known for quantity.

Regardless, a DG isn't powerful enough for a K701, and I've read K612 is harder to drive than K701.  A K701 on DG sounds "ok."

I did the bass mod on my 701 recently (again), and while it does make the sound fuller, it loses its precision.  Kind of makes everything (including mids and highs) sound bloaty and diffused.  

The 701 is 63 ohms.  The K612 is 120.  But they are much harder to drive properly than those numbers indicate.  

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #2,158 of 2,435
The port on the k612 was flat and had a smaller diameter while the q701 had a concave opening. Doing a bass mod on both resulted in different sound...while the q701 seem to have lost control even in mid S and highs the k612 doesn't seem to be touched. The k612 also had less bloom and quantity gains in bass than the q701.

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #2,159 of 2,435

"Sounds better?"  Or "has more quantity?"  

AKG 601 and 701 series aren't known for quantity.

Regardless, a DG isn't powerful enough for a K701, and I've read K612 is harder to drive than K701.  A K701 on DG sounds "ok."

I did the bass mod on my 701 recently (again), and while it does make the sound fuller, it loses its precision.  Kind of makes everything (including mids and highs) sound bloaty and diffused.  

The 701 is 63 ohms.  The K612 is 120.  But they are much harder to drive properly than those numbers indicate.  

Sounds "better", as per my last post. Yes, the sennheisers were louder which isn't what I'm after. My problem was that it seemed like I could also hear more low end sounds that weren't there. It was like night and day.
Perhaps I do need a better amp then? Are these really that difficult to drive? Damn lol. I assumed 120ohm would be alright for the DGX or are there other numbers I need to pay attention to

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #2,160 of 2,435

Perhaps I do need a better amp then? Are these really that difficult to drive? Damn lol. I assumed 120ohm would be alright for the DGX or are there other numbers I need to pay attention to

I can only comment on the K701 and Q701.  They're harder to drive than a 250 ohm Beyer.  At least some people on here say the K612 is even harder to drive.  

The DG is "ok" with the 701.  The DG may actually make them sound more "musical" since the bass is bloatier/shoutier/diffused than with a stronger amp.  Some people will say an amp being stronger isn't what makes that difference.  Particularly after using a 600-ohm Beyer on different amps, I disagree and think power is important.

A stronger amp is unlikely to fundamentally change the sound though.  It sounds like you either need to try the bass mod or get a different headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back