AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Jul 18, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #1,952 of 2,435
  Yes the 612 is among the most honest (accurate). Any coloration or distortion you hear is usually from badly produced sources, or down the line (amp/dac). Software EQ or artificial effects (including 3D effects) from audio drivers can have a negative effect too. I recommend turning all that stuff off for the best results, these headphones don't need it. Go straight stereo at the highest bitrate you can with no EQing or effects. If you have preset modes like "Music, Movie, Game" it's using software effects.

Bass is the most noticeable improvement when driven properly with a nice amp. It becomes fuller and more present. It does benefit from maybe +2-4db of bass boost in my opinion. Beyond that you would likely start to distort at high volumes. Nicer DAC's tend to improve things like imaging, soundstage, and overall detail retrieval. Especially the 32bit ones with a dedicated chip for each channel. You need good high bitrate sources to really hear the difference with those DAC's though.

Congrats on your purchase. Cheers,

-Rigo

When you say 32bit with dedicated chip for each channel, do you mean 400bucks+ amps? Or is there anything in the 100-200 bucks range poor ol' student me can afford? I had a budget of 200 bucks and was initially going to purchace the q701 but I found out the k612 better suits my needs, so I saved like 40 bucks with a little extra saving I could probably afford a headphone amp as my monitor amp scarlett 2i2 isn't quite cutting it for me.... Also thank you, so much! I Love these so much and yeah, csgo's audiofiles are pretty bad, and contrary to belief these are NOT forgiving cans--I listened to some bedroom producer dubstep and I can really tell which tracks are poorly mastered and properly mastered--I love these so much!
  AKG K6 / K7 series, are the best value in headphones right now.  These cans are practically not mid-fi, they're not that far sound quality wise from summit-fi phones, yet their prices are not far away from beginner's phones.

BUY BUY BUY

Seconded.

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #1,953 of 2,435
  I think the K612 Pro is one of the best or the best value can under $300. I also should mention the Beyer DT 880 too.

I actually got to demo the dt880 250 ohm with like a crazy 3k amp at a hifi store and I liked the k612's better.... Still really wanna know how they stack up to the q701 as I went with the k612 because of a lot of reviews have led me to believe the k612's will suit my needs better... Still sad I couldn't find them anywhere to demo 'em.....

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #1,954 of 2,435
Right so I was just looking about and I found the FIIO E10K to be best suited for my needs....but are they really that much of a step up from my scarlett? I mean it works mighty fine, I can use my monitors and headphone at the same time... I suspect I would have to switch from my scarlett output to the FIIO on PC which tbh sounds like a hassle every time I want to check my mix with my monitors and headphone.... Would it really benefit me that much? 110 bucks is a lot of money for a student

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #1,955 of 2,435
The K612 is great with the right associated equipment but the DT880 (I have the 600 Ohm variant) is superior in pretty much every way IMHO.
The Beyers resolve detail in a different way but are quite excellent for the price. I run my Beyers from a LD MKIII with EI yugo driver tubes, Maverick Audio DAC. 

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #1,956 of 2,435

When you say 32bit with dedicated chip for each channel, do you mean 400bucks+ amps? Or is there anything in the 100-200 bucks range poor ol' student me can afford? I had a budget of 200 bucks and was initially going to purchace the q701 but I found out the k612 better suits my needs, so I saved like 40 bucks with a little extra saving I could probably afford a headphone amp as my monitor amp scarlett 2i2 isn't quite cutting it for me.... Also thank you, so much! I Love these so much and yeah, csgo's audiofiles are pretty bad, and contrary to belief these are NOT forgiving cans--I listened to some bedroom producer dubstep and I can really tell which tracks are poorly mastered and properly mastered--I love these so much!
Seconded.

Yeah MSRP for what I am describing is in the $300-500 range for both the amp and dac or an all in one combo setup. However, you can find great sales or buy used to save. I've spent alot on lower end stuff from Fiio, Bravo, SMSL, and others in the $50-150 range. Besides providing more power I never noticed much improvement until I went up to this range.

The K612 is great with the right associated equipment but the DT880 (I have the 600 Ohm variant) is superior in pretty much every way IMHO.
The Beyers resolve detail in a different way but are quite excellent for the price. I run my Beyers from a LD MKIII with EI yugo driver tubes, Maverick Audio DAC. 

I hear the DT 880 compared alot. Let's remember the DT880 is nearly double the price, especially if were talking about the 600Ohm premium. It is superior in comfort, durability, and craftsmanship, hands down. I've only demoed the 600Ohm Premium. I personally find it hard to recommend over the 612, unless you have some serious amplification already. The Pro 250Ohm is a better value and safer recommendation that will pair better with a wider range of sources/amps. I don't think the 880 is a worthwhile upgrade for 612 owners either. But for those shopping for either, I do think you get what you pay for in the higher priced 880 pro, if nothing else, in build quality and comfort alone.

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #1,957 of 2,435
  I hear the DT 880 compared alot. Let's remember the DT880 is nearly double the price, especially if were talking about the 600Ohm premium. It is superior in comfort, durability, and craftsmanship, hands down. I've only demoed the 600Ohm Premium. I personally find it hard to recommend over the 612, unless you have some serious amplification already. The Pro 250Ohm is a better value and safer recommendation that will pair better with a wider range of sources/amps. I don't think the 880 is a worthwhile upgrade for 612 owners either. But for those shopping for either, I do think you get what you pay for in the higher priced 880 pro, if nothing else, in build quality and comfort alone.

I personally wouldn't compare the Beyer DT880 (I have the 600 Ohm premium) & the K612, I think out of my headphones I'd compare the K612 to my ATH-AD900. They both have great detail...totally different presentation of it but both very detail oriented. The AD900 extracting more detail and the K612 having superior low end. They both are very good headphones though and I don't regret owning either.

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #1,958 of 2,435
Snagged a pair of these again. This time the K612s. Missed them so much, since the K501s left me feeling sore. Actually, this is the first pair of higher end headphones I've owned in quite a while...

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #1,960 of 2,435
  Hello boys. Just bought 612's, gonna use fiio e10 with them for now, not sure about the gain doe, low or high? 
confused_face_2.gif

I'd use the gain setting that sounds best to you.

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #1,962 of 2,435
Hi, juz got a k612pro, any amp recommendations? i am doing some recording as well, music genre pop, rock, r&b, some fingerstyle music etc.. no heavy metal no classical & no techno.. no much money left, please help..

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #1,963 of 2,435

High gain sound fine, but left dynamic rattles on 20-40hz :frowning2: And channels imbalanced as well, damn.

That's unfortunate, have you replicated these issue on another amp or source to isolate the problem? I would return them if you can.

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #1,965 of 2,435
  Hi, juz got a k612pro, any amp recommendations? i am doing some recording as well, music genre pop, rock, r&b, some fingerstyle music etc.. no heavy metal no classical & no techno.. no much money left, please help..

There's so many good options out there. It's about picking the one that has what you want. Do you want a portable? Do you want a DAC and AMP combo? If so do you need USB input? Maybe you want multiple inputs (USB, SPDIF, ect.). Maybe you want a pre-amp out? If you want a desktop amp is size an issue? Maybe you want a sleek stylish design on your desk. You also need a budget in mind to narrow your options. I always suggest narrowing your options by the features you want before getting into which sounds better than the other. Because ultimately that will determine whether you keep it or not. I wouldn't go down the route of pairing an amp to a particular headphone, a good amp should sound great with any good quality headphone like the K612. As for the K612 any desktop grade amp, sound cards with built-in amps, or portables over $100 will have enough power. Of course you will get better bang for your buck feature and sound wise with a desktop solution over a portable. I usually don't recommend PC sound cards because of their lack of versatility, you can't easily move your setup around or modify things easily. Hopefully that gets you thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back