AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Nov 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #1,684 of 2,435
Waiting on an Asus phoebus rog card (for gaming), will let you know when it arrives.  The xonar is supposed to be better for music with changeable op amps. usb dac's are pretty cheap these days (but won't give you surround)...hoping my k612's won't sound as brittle with the sound-card vs onboard realtek....gives me a headache...

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #1,685 of 2,435
  Waiting on an Asus phoebus rog card (for gaming), will let you know when it arrives.  The xonar is supposed to be better for music with changeable op amps. usb dac's are pretty cheap these days (but won't give you surround)...hoping my k612's won't sound as brittle with the sound-card vs onboard realtek....gives me a headache...

I have phoebus, it's nothing groundbreaking and you won't be able to change the op-amps with that.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #1,686 of 2,435

I have phoebus, it's nothing groundbreaking and you won't be able to change the op-amps with that.

Aware of that, was referring to the xonar essence...have an m-audio black box for music (and guitar)...phoebus strictly for surround gaming (hoping it's not terrible for music tho!)..

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #1,687 of 2,435
K601&K612 are easy to make a good sound. But not as much details as upper headphones I feel.

For the K612, I've found ways (with gear) to get them to the higher end of neutral.  For gear, I have the Asgard ver. 1 amp.  For a DAC, I have the uDAC vers. 2.  I've had the oDAC a few times and others - Audio-GD, etc.

For me, the uDAC ves. 2 is slightly tilted on the detailed end. Not painfully so, but a bit more than the uDAC was.  For the K612, I've found that the combo works pretty good.  I think if I were running the K601, Q701, I'd probably settle back with an oDAC due to the higher detail that those headphones are capable of.  I've used my audio system with a H/K AVR-325 receiver and Squeezebox Classic with the Burr Brown 16-bit DAC and felt that combo was a bit tilted towards the darker side.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #1,688 of 2,435
  Aware of that, was referring to the xonar essence...have an m-audio black box for music (and guitar)...phoebus strictly for surround gaming (hoping it's not terrible for music tho!)..

it is a decent performer with 612pro (for music) but gaming performance will depends on whether you like DHTv4 or not. I'm not gonna spoil you anything since you already bought it, you just have to try it yourself and find out whether you like it or not :)

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #1,689 of 2,435
Had trouble deciding between phoebus and the cheaper xonar dx etc....but seeing the age of the dx (essence was another 150 bucks here) thought I'd go with the most recent.  Considering the razer surround route if dhtv4 sucks.  Have 7.1 speaker setup, the main concern was software surround for cans....and better sound than alc 898's.... Don't ask how much it cost here in Norway (ripoff city...almost worth taobaoing)....

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #1,691 of 2,435
Ebay! Or Taobao if you're feeling adventurous....(or Amazon etc)..
smily_headphones1.gif
  my Guangzhou purchases arrive in Norway faster than purchases from Denmark! (in a little grey box marked 'repairs' :wink: with no VAT..)....better customer service too...
L3000.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #1,692 of 2,435
  Ebay! Or Taobao if you're feeling adventurous....(or Amazon etc)..
smily_headphones1.gif
  my Guangzhou purchases arrive in Norway faster than purchases from Denmark! (in a little grey box marked 'repairs' :wink: with no VAT..)....better customer service too...
L3000.gif

I am definitely interested in hearing your impressions of the Phoebus. I have a Xonar D1 which I use for my gaming needs connected to a Harman Kardon AVR 3600. I have been thinking of picking up a Phoebus in the future as well.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #1,693 of 2,435
A few threads up, I had shared my gear that I'm currently using to power my K612 Pros as well as the DAC I'm using.  As noted, the combo seemed to have good higher neutral level for the highs.  If I had the oDAC back in this combo, it would have been a bit less detailed on the upper end.  Also, I've owned the Asgard 1 before as well as the Asgard 2.  I've found for some reason, I like the sound signature that the Asgard 1 provides.  The Asgard 2, to my ears, sounded like a very neutral amp and Schiit did very good with that offering.  However, the Asgard 1 seemed to have a bit more of the body of the sound filled out a slight bit more.  I've also had the discussion with another member who had both, and we were essentially in agreement.

Finally, while I've never really been a fan of powering any headphones off of my iPod classic.  On a whim, I used it for a few hours this past week with the K612.  They performed very well and the classic could give 'em enough juice.  Also, the sound signature wasn't dark, but had even a slight more lift to the sound than my desktop combo. 

Enjoy the Music!

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #1,694 of 2,435
I have decided to sell my K612's, if anyone is interested feel free to PM me. I purchased them new, sealed, retail and they look, smell and feel new. I am anal about all my equipment and don't smoke. I have the box and everything else that comes with them as new. Make me an offer if you would like, I will list them in the forums in a day or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back