AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Nov 17, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #1,696 of 2,435
  I have decided to sell my K612's, if anyone is interested feel free to PM me. I purchased them new, sealed, retail and they look, smell and feel new. I am anal about all my equipment and don't smoke. I have the box and everything else that comes with them as new. Make me an offer if you would like, I will list them in the forums in a day or two.

Ohhhh  ... I see the honeymoon is over.  The reality is though that people's tastes are all different and one might have a headphone that has a signature that suites their listening tastes better.

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #1,697 of 2,435
After 2 months of owning these headphones, I am fairly satisfied. As with every audio purchase though, the longer you own it, the more you notice its shortcomings. A few weeks ago, I had the chance to hear the K712 Pro at a customer home. I enjoyed their sound more than the K612 Pro. Everything about the K712 was superior. If I had to describe the K712 in one word, it would be "refined". I listened to the K712 with my Racoon SG300 tube amp dac combo, and on the customer's xDuoo TA-03 XMOS tube amp dac combo. Both headphones sounded better on the customer's xDuoo TA-03. The xDuoo TA-03 XMOS is currently on sale at amazon for 250 as well right now. That is an awesome price. If I had the funds, I would jump on it. I can highly recommend to anyone looking for a tube dac amp combo for the K612 or K712 to take a look at the xDuoo TA-03 XMOS. The synergy with both headphones was very impressive to say the least.

When comparing the two pairs of headphones, the treble is far smoother on the 712, and has none of that grain that the 612 has. The detail retrieval on the K712 is also a cut above the K612. While listening, I could identify elements in the music which are either missing, or just less detailed overall on the K612. The K612 sounds somewhat veiled when listening side by side with the K712. The K712 offers more clarity, but at the same time, it does it in a smoother fashion. This is not to say that the K612 sounds bad. They have a great, rather neutral sound, with a 2K bump. The slight bass bump I use on the K612 is not even needed on the K712. The three headphones I am now looking at getting at some point in the future are the DT880 Pro 250 Ohm, The HD600, and the K712 Pro.

On a side note, I ended up just upgrading from my Xonar D1, and now have an HT Claro Plus coming in the mail. It should be here by Friday, or Monday. I am totally stoked to get the card for my home theatre setup needs. It should be a very nice upgrade from the Xonar D1 for my energy/paradigm/harman kardon setup.

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #1,698 of 2,435
  After 2 months of owning these headphones, I am fairly satisfied. As with every audio purchase though, the longer you own it, the more you notice its shortcomings. A few weeks ago, I had the chance to hear the K712 Pro at a customer home. I enjoyed their sound more than the K612 Pro. Everything about the K712 was superior. If I had to describe the K712 in one word, it would be "refined". I listened to the K712 with my Racoon SG300 tube amp dac combo, and on the customer's xDuoo TA-03 XMOS tube amp dac combo. Both headphones sounded better on the customer's xDuoo TA-03. The xDuoo TA-03 XMOS is currently on sale at amazon for 250 as well right now. That is an awesome price. If I had the funds, I would jump on it. I can highly recommend to anyone looking for a tube dac amp combo for the K612 or K712 to take a look at the xDuoo TA-03 XMOS. The synergy with both headphones was very impressive to say the least.

When comparing the two pairs of headphones, the treble is far smoother on the 712, and has none of that grain that the 612 has. The detail retrieval on the K712 is also a cut above the K612. While listening, I could identify elements in the music which are either missing, or just less detailed overall on the K612. The K612 sounds somewhat veiled when listening side by side with the K712. The K712 offers more clarity, but at the same time, it does it in a smoother fashion. This is not to say that the K612 sounds bad. They have a great, rather neutral sound, with a 2K bump. The slight bass bump I use on the K612 is not even needed on the K712. The three headphones I am now looking at getting at some point in the future are the DT880 Pro 250 Ohm, The HD600, and the K712 Pro.

On a side note, I ended up just upgrading from my Xonar D1, and now have an HT Claro Plus coming in the mail. It should be here by Friday, or Monday. I am totally stoked to get the card for my home theatre setup needs. It should be a very nice upgrade from the Xonar D1 for my energy/paradigm/harman kardon setup.

Nice you got to hear the K712 and K612 side by side. Honestly after getting the K712 the K612 ended up being ignored. The K712 is simply more refined but its also tuned a bit different.

Sadly I can't really own two AKGs and listen to both. It's just how it is for me. I can get away with two Senns which is the case with the HD 600 and HD 545. Maybe 2 Beyers as well but I never had two Beyers at a time. But with AKGs, even when comparable in terms of refinement it just didn't work out, one always got the attention while the other was ignored.

The DT 880 is a good option, I went with the DT 150 instead as my Beyer though. 

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #1,699 of 2,435
  Nice you got to hear the K712 and K612 side by side. Honestly after getting the K712 the K612 ended up being ignored. The K712 is simply more refined but its also tuned a bit different.

Sadly I can't really own two AKGs and listen to both. It's just how it is for me. I can get away with two Senns which is the case with the HD 600 and HD 545. Maybe 2 Beyers as well but I never had two Beyers at a time. But with AKGs, even when comparable in terms of refinement it just didn't work out, one always got the attention while the other was ignored.

The DT 880 is a good option, I went with the DT 150 instead as my Beyer though. 

Hey kman1211, good to hear from you. I have listened to the K612 many times during the last 2 months. There is no doubt, at least to my ears, that something is missing in the 5K to 10K region. There is a lack of detail retrieval and clarity that is missing from that frequency range. For most people, there seems to be a compromise that happens. Number 1 - Tolerate that 2K bump which causes additional grain (but adds some upper midrange sparkle), or lower the 2K bump down to -2 to -3, which ultimately ends up removing even more of that missing detail from the 5K to 10K region. Either one of those compromises ends up not resolving that detail retrieval and clarity which appears to be missing from that area. These headphones are quite nice for the price, but that "smile while I listen because they sound so good" factor is just not there. I suppose that after years of listening to quality equipment that my standards are just beyond what a 200 dollar pair of headphones can actually offer.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #1,700 of 2,435
I have a question for the 601 owners.

I've long been a fan of AKG and bought this pair about a year ago online.

Yesterday i discovered one of the speakers doesn't play.

Does anyone know if the cable detaches and can be replaced?
The connector doesn't have that push button my k240's have so the cord goes straight into the earpiece. 
I'm afraid to yank on it and make things worse.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #1,701 of 2,435

Hey kman1211, good to hear from you. I have listened to the K612 many times during the last 2 months. There is no doubt, at least to my ears, that something is missing in the 5K to 10K region. There is a lack of detail retrieval and clarity that is missing from that frequency range. For most people, there seems to be a compromise that happens. Number 1 - Tolerate that 2K bump which causes additional grain (but adds some upper midrange sparkle), or lower the 2K bump down to -2 to -3, which ultimately ends up removing even more of that missing detail from the 5K to 10K region. Either one of those compromises ends up not resolving that detail retrieval and clarity which appears to be missing from that area. These headphones are quite nice for the price, but that "smile while I listen because they sound so good" factor is just not there. I suppose that after years of listening to quality equipment that my standards are just beyond what a 200 dollar pair of headphones can actually offer.

The K612 is good for the price, but going up in price often yields better headphones. I haven't experimented with EQ on the K612 much. Yes, they tend to beyond what they offer. I haven't really found much better than it for $200 other than the Q701 but they are too bright and have their own issues. The DT 990 is technically better but it's midrange has no soul and the treble is unpleasant at times. Are you planning on getting another headphone? 

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #1,702 of 2,435
  The K612 is good for the price, but going up in price often yields better headphones. I haven't experimented with EQ on the K612 much. Yes, they tend to beyond what they offer. I haven't really found much better than it for $200 other than the Q701 but they are too bright and have their own issues. The DT 990 is technically better but it's midrange has no soul and the treble is unpleasant at times. Are you planning on getting another headphone? 

I think I am just going to keep the K612 for a while. When I had the DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm, I found them too be too boomy, and the mids were lacking. Once I sold them off, and jumped into a pair of the K612, it was a huge improvement. The K612 is far more neutral, and way more balanced. As expected, I previously posted about how I found the sound on the K612 to be better suited to my ears, when compared to the DT 770. After using the K612 for a couple months now, I just feel they are missing that additional detail retrieval I want. There is a veil across the entire range. It is most noticeable in the 5K to 10K region. There is a crispness and sparkle which is just not present. I cant afford any upgrades now though. I currently have an HT OMEGA Claro Plus coming in the mail for my 5.1 sound setup, and a Xonar D1 to now sell off. It will be at least a few months until I can now even consider any new gear upgrades.

Out of all of the headphones I have ever heard, I will say that one of the most natural sounding I have tested to date has to be the HD600. Those headphones have a signature which is unmatched for that price point. I might just end up getting a pair of those when I finally do upgrade again.

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #1,703 of 2,435

I think I am just going to keep the K612 for a while. When I had the DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm, I found them too be too boomy, and the mids were lacking. Once I sold them off, and jumped into a pair of the K612, it was a huge improvement. The K612 is far more neutral, and way more balanced. As expected, I previously posted about how I found the sound on the K612 to be better suited to my ears, when compared to the DT 770. After using the K612 for a couple months now, I just feel they are missing that additional detail retrieval I want. There is a veil across the entire range. It is most noticeable in the 5K to 10K region. There is a crispness and sparkle which is just not present. I cant afford any upgrades now though. I currently have an HT OMEGA Claro Plus coming in the mail for my 5.1 sound setup, and a Xonar D1 to now sell off. It will be at least a few months until I can now even consider any new gear upgrades.

Out of all of the headphones I have ever heard, I will say that one of the most natural sounding I have tested to date has to be the HD600. Those headphones have a signature which is unmatched for that price point. I might just end up getting a pair of those when I finally do upgrade again.

Ah I see. It's been a while since I heard the DT 770 Pro, never liked it much. The only Beyer that is reasonably priced I really liked is the DT 150, I haven't tried the DT 250 or DT 100 though.. The K612 is very neutral, just the grain mars it a bit. I understand that. I can't afford any upgrades either. I should probably sell off some gear.

The HD 600 is a very natural sounding headphone.

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #1,704 of 2,435
  Ah I see. It's been a while since I heard the DT 770 Pro, never liked it much. The only Beyer that is reasonably priced I really liked is the DT 150, I haven't tried the DT 250 or DT 100 though.. The K612 is very neutral, just the grain mars it a bit. I understand that. I can't afford any upgrades either. I should probably sell off some gear.

The HD 600 is a very natural sounding headphone.

nice to see that you are enjoying dt150 and 712pro :) , I really wanted to buy 712pro after your impressions, but are they warmer sounding compared to 612pro ? because looks like warmer sounding headphones are not my cup of tea for music anymore, :frowning2: , it's amazing how our preference change over time. first I loved the warmer ma900 despite all the issues with it, but now I only use them for gaming atm. same goes to very bright sounding headphones like Q701. do you find 712pro neutral as 612pro ? may be can you do a full comparison between these 2 later ? may be dt880 could be my cup of tea, unfortunately I hadn't had much time with it :frowning2:

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #1,705 of 2,435
I just got my K612's off a fellow head-fi member; its interesting that some people prefer the K712's to the K612's, the initial reviews and comparisons between the 2 led me to choose the K612's. Comparatively is the treble on the K712's brighter/harsher than the K612's; is the bass leaner on the K712's? The bass impact and tightness is almost perfect for me on the '612's. 

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #1,706 of 2,435
  I just got my K612's off a fellow head-fi member; its interesting that some people prefer the K712's to the K612's, the initial reviews and comparisons between the 2 led me to choose the K612's. Comparatively is the treble on the K712's brighter/harsher than the K612's; is the bass leaner on the K712's? The bass impact and tightness is almost perfect for me on the '612's. 

The upper treble is brighter on the K712, but the lower treble is brighter on the K612. The biggest difference in terms of treble is refinement, the K712 is more detailed and less grainy in the treble. The K712 has more bass than the K612 and is a bit warmer. The K712 is the more refined and better headphone, though it's tuning may or may not be to your liking. It's a headphone you have to try to see and like the K612 it's system sensitive so it can change from bright to dark, warm to neutral, etc. depending on the system.

nice to see that you are enjoying dt150 and 712pro :) , I really wanted to buy 712pro after your impressions, but are they warmer sounding compared to 612pro ? because looks like warmer sounding headphones are not my cup of tea for music anymore, :frowning2: , it's amazing how our preference change over time. first I loved the warmer ma900 despite all the issues with it, but now I only use them for gaming atm. same goes to very bright sounding headphones like Q701. do you find 712pro neutral as 612pro ? may be can you do a full comparison between these 2 later ? may be dt880 could be my cup of tea, unfortunately I hadn't had much time with it :frowning2:

Yes, the K712 is warmer than the K612. Ah I see, true, but also trying higher end warmer headphones may change your opinions. The K612 is more neutral, but I honestly find the K712 to sound more natural than the K612. Both the HD 600 and DT 150 are even warmer than the MA900. I personally enjoy warm headphones, but I also enjoy neutral, and even bright and lean headphones as long as they are not harsh and fatiguing.

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #1,708 of 2,435

The upper treble is brighter on the K712, but the lower treble is brighter on the K612. The biggest difference in terms of treble is refinement, the K712 is more detailed and less grainy in the treble. The K712 has more bass than the K612 and is a bit warmer. The K712 is the more refined and better headphone, though it's tuning may or may not be to your liking. It's a headphone you have to try to see and like the K612 it's system sensitive so it can change from bright to dark, warm to neutral, etc. depending on the system.

Yes, the K712 is warmer than the K612. Ah I see, true, but also trying higher end warmer headphones may change your opinions. The K612 is more neutral, but I honestly find the K712 to sound more natural than the K612. Both the HD 600 and DT 150 are even warmer than the MA900. I personally enjoy warm headphones, but I also enjoy neutral, and even bright and lean headphones as long as they are not harsh and fatiguing.

Hmmm.... I ran pink noise to my K612's today for about 6 hours and it removed the treble harshness I'd been hearing and only slightly killed the graininess; I hear oogles of bass thru the K612 and I choose it over the K712's specifically because everyone says its anemic in the bass region. Also I think I'm somewhat sensitive to upper treble but you've just pressed a button of curiosity that reminds me of the Q701's on craigslist near me... Maybe if I don't get the K340's I'll think about it!

Kman1211, my wallet holds you responsible because I have no control!

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #1,709 of 2,435
Hmmm.... I ran pink noise to my K612's today for about 6 hours and it removed the treble harshness I'd been hearing and only slightly killed the graininess; I hear oogles of bass thru the K612 and I choose it over the K712's specifically because everyone says its anemic in the bass region. Also I think I'm somewhat sensitive to upper treble but you've just pressed a button of curiosity that reminds me of the Q701's on craigslist near me... Maybe if I don't get the K340's I'll think about it!

Kman1211, my wallet holds you responsible because I have no control!

People say the K712 is anemic in the bass region? The Q701, K701, K702 may not have as much bass as the K612 but the K712 without a doubt has more bass. The Q701 sounded a bit off when I compared it to the K712, soundstage was weird and it was a bit too bright. I haven't heard the K340, I'm curious about it.

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #1,710 of 2,435

The K712 has more bass than the K612 and is a bit warmer.

I've heard this before and this is precisely what scares me away from trying (and spending too much money, IMO) the K712. I already find the K612 has plenty of bass. And any warmer (coloring the sound) would completely turn me off. Perhaps my amp and the my K612 are a match made in heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back