AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Sep 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,426 of 2,435
You'd get a similar impression looking at the DT250-80 graph:

But the sub bass is absolutely present if it is in the recording. If anything, the K612 looks from the graph like it will have more than expected bass from 80 down to 50hz, where the DT250 starts to have less than ideal at 70hz on down.

Their graphs aren't that uniform, though.

Here is their HD650 graph:

Which looks nearly as "bad" as the K612.

Anyway, it is the "no guarantee area" I'm interested in, anyway :)

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #1,427 of 2,435
You'd get a similar impression looking at the DT250-80 graph

That's a different headphone, though. Comparing apples to oranges. People have already remarked numerous times in this thread that that K612 is just a bit of a change over the K601. Measurements are much more of an accurate representation when comparing apples to apples in the same headphone make/model line.

Sep 7, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #1,428 of 2,435
Sure, but the manufacturer claims more bass extension. And they don't have side by side graphs for the two models generated in exactly the same way - or at least not labeled the same. I appreciate what they're trying to do, but standardized graphs would be a good idea. Plus, it looks like they select different reference points for the observed graph and the ideal line - it appears to be 800HZ for the K612 and 1KHZ for the HD650. And the step response curves - what the hell?

One of the graphs makes the K612 look good to 40hz, another makes the K601 to have less rolloff from above 50hz, so one reading of the graphs is the K612 has less low bass extension than the K601 - hence the question. Those graphs tell me they'll probably be in the same ballpark - one claims to use their bass compensation and the other doesn't - is this mislabeling? 

If (and only if) the graphs are reasonably accurate, the k612 has less treble in the 6khz range than the k601, and the difference is pretty clear, so I didn't ask about it (but given the other considerations, I wonder). I want to know about 20-50hz or so, and specifically the 20-40hz range which EN themselves admit can't be trusted from their measurements.

So, several people have a pair of them already, and likely have one or more suitable electronic tracks. I'm asking for an expert opinion.

In short: assume I've used the internet already and seen the graphs. I'm asking for subjective expert opinions (ideally, several) on the low bass performance, which people haven't talked about much with these headphones. I am fully aware of the subjectivity of individual experiences (expert or otherwise), and I'll collate that data myself.

Given this is essentially the K601/K612 appreciation thread, that doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.

Sep 7, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #1,429 of 2,435
Sure, but the manufacturer claims more bass extension. And they don't have side by side graphs for the two models generated in exactly the same way - or at least not labeled the same. I appreciate what they're trying to do, but standardized graphs would be a good idea. Plus, it looks like they select different reference points for the observed graph and the ideal line - it appears to be 800HZ for the K612 and 1KHZ for the HD650. And the step response curves - what the hell? . . .

I think you are over thinking it. In general, the K601 and K612 seem to have pretty similar looking bass response curves. I would not expect any major significant difference. If you are looking for subtle difference in bass response, then you are just going to have to try them.

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #1,430 of 2,435

Sure, but the manufacturer claims more bass extension. And they don't have side by side graphs for the two models generated in exactly the same way - or at least not labeled the same. I appreciate what they're trying to do, but standardized graphs would be a good idea. Plus, it looks like they select different reference points for the observed graph and the ideal line - it appears to be 800HZ for the K612 and 1KHZ for the HD650. And the step response curves - what the hell? . . .

I think you are over thinking it. In general, the K601 and K612 seem to have pretty similar looking bass response curves. I would not expect any major significant difference. If you are looking for subtle difference in bass response, then you are just going to have to try them.

I thought Kx01 and Kx12 are quite different on bass?

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #1,433 of 2,435
  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/News-BK-Compatible-6N11-12AU7-ECC82-Tube-valve-Headphone-Amplifier-AMP-preamp-/400697607764

Anyone tried sth like this with the k612?

The fact that they don't know the output impedance worries me

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #1,434 of 2,435
Sep 9, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #1,435 of 2,435
Yeah, seems this is a hybrid type of tube amp where the tube operates at lower voltage, so you kind of don't get the tube sound.

I guess I'll pocket the cash and try and save some more up for a better device :D:D

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #1,436 of 2,435
Well, because the best way to answer these things is to hear it yourself, I just unboxed an Asgard 2 and a pair of K612's. Fed by an 0404 USB.

Preliminary listening now. The K612 can produce the low tones I was worried about, but may still be as fatiguing (to me) as it's k6xx and k7xx siblings. Bugger. More to come shortly.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,437 of 2,435
Could someone with some experience take a look at my sig/profile with my current equipment and advise if the K612 would be a good headphone to purchase? I listen to a wide variety of music and would like something that sounds a little different from my current crop. Believe it or not my favorite setup lately has been the Oppo into the Beresford DAC then on to the O2 into my Superlux HD668b.
Thanks for any and all input.

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #1,438 of 2,435
Well, I have now sold my DT770 Pro 250 Ohm. Now, don't get me wrong, they are a nice pair of headphones. I am definitely going to miss those extremely comfortable velour pads.
frown.gif
 Unfortunately, the sound was just not completely to my liking. The bass was just a tad too boomy, and the mids a little too recessed. I am looking for something with a more refined midrange, more open soundstage, and more controlled bass. I am currently looking at buying the AKG K612 Pro. I am hoping they will be to my liking. Cheers to everyone here. I will be sure to report back in this thread in the next few days with my new purchase.

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #1,439 of 2,435
612 probably is one of the most colorless
  Well, I have now sold my DT770 Pro 250 Ohm. Now, don't get me wrong, they are a nice pair of headphones. I am definitely going to miss those extremely comfortable velour pads.
frown.gif
 Unfortunately, the sound was just not completely to my liking. The bass was just a tad too boomy, and the mids a little too recessed. I am looking for something with a more refined midrange, more open soundstage, and more controlled bass. I am currently looking at buying the AKG K612 Pro. I am hoping they will be to my liking. Cheers to everyone here. I will be sure to report back in this thread in the next few days with my new purchase.

K612 probably is one of the most colorless and neutral headphones, not easy to drive. It is hi-fidelity with good resolution and image but might not have that much fun to listen, dry in the mid and harsh in the treble, comparing to those colored headphones. However that's live music.

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #1,440 of 2,435

K612 probably is one of the most colorless and neutral headphones, not easy to drive. It is hi-fidelity with good resolution and image but might not have that fun to listen, dry in the mid and harsh in the treble. However that's live music.

The upper mids on the K612 is not dry or neutral. Reminiscent of the plastic reverb from the K550, except worse. Another reason why I much prefer the K701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back