AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Sep 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #1,441 of 2,435

K612 probably is one of the most colorless and neutral headphones, not easy to drive. It is hi-fidelity with good resolution and image but might not have that fun to listen, dry in the mid and harsh in the treble. However that's live music.

The upper mids on the K612 is not dry or neutral. Reminiscent of the plastic reverb from the K550, except worse. Another reason why I much prefer the K701.

There is no plastic inside or around the earcups of K612.

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #1,444 of 2,435

http://www.head-fi.org/t/685483/akg-k702-the-classic-vs-k612-pro-the-upstart-review-and-comparison

I did not see any difference between 612 and 702, material wise, unless 701 is different from 702.

? No, they're all made of plastic.

The K612 has a hump in the upper mid/lower treble range, while the K701 does not.

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #1,446 of 2,435
That hump can make the K612 sound too forward, harsh or sibilant in that region. In my case it did/does, more often than not.

Sep 17, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #1,448 of 2,435

? No, they're all made of plastic.

The K612 has a hump in the upper mid/lower treble range, while the K701 does not.

Actually the K701's hump in the upper mid/lower treble is larger than the K612s though it has less grain in that region.

Yes, the K701's hump in the upper mid/lower treble is larger than the K612s

grain, or harsh or sibilant vs refined, or tolerable or smooth, it is personal preference.

For the live music, live concert, it might be close to the former, IMO.

Sep 17, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #1,449 of 2,435
  Yes, the K701's hump in the upper mid/lower treble is larger than the K612s

Actually the K701's hump in the upper mid/lower treble is larger than the K612s though it has less grain in that region.

I tested them side-by-side and the difference was glaring. The K701 might measure that way, but it's not offensive (maybe due to the diffuseness of the sound). The K612, on the other hand, has a much more forward presentation that sounds honky and glossy. Try listening to trumpets/horns and you will know what I'm talking about.

At any rate, I was pointing to the original comment about the K612 being "one of the most neutral." I don't think it is.

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #1,450 of 2,435
  Well, I have now sold my DT770 Pro 250 Ohm. Now, don't get me wrong, they are a nice pair of headphones. I am definitely going to miss those extremely comfortable velour pads.
frown.gif
 Unfortunately, the sound was just not completely to my liking. The bass was just a tad too boomy, and the mids a little too recessed. I am looking for something with a more refined midrange, more open soundstage, and more controlled bass. I am currently looking at buying the AKG K612 Pro. I am hoping they will be to my liking. Cheers to everyone here. I will be sure to report back in this thread in the next few days with my new purchase.

I have been doing research, and checking out a ton of reviews today. At this point, I have narrowed my choices down to the Audio Technica AD900X, and the AKG K612 Pro. I should mention that I did own a pair of Audio Technica AD700 (non X) headphones about 4 years ago. I ended up selling them as they had virtually no bass definition, tightness, or impact. They had a rather thin sound to me. From researching, the AD900X has been shown to have much better bass, and a tad less brightness in the upper treble region than the previous AD700 and AD900. I just can't seem to decide here. Has anyone here heard the AD900X and K612 Pro side by side ?

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #1,451 of 2,435
Ohhhhhh yeah, I just bought the AKG K612 Pro. Damn, now it will be the dreaded waiting until they show up in the mail. I hope they are going to rock my socks like they have for the majority of people in this thread. I am super excited to get them. The review done by kman1211 is what convinced me to purchase. Cheers to everyone here.

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #1,452 of 2,435

I tested them side-by-side and the difference was glaring. The K701 might measure that way, but it's not offensive (maybe due to the diffuseness of the sound). The K612, on the other hand, has a much more forward presentation that sounds honky and glossy. Try listening to trumpets/horns and you will know what I'm talking about.

At any rate, I was pointing to the original comment about the K612 being "one of the most neutral." I don't think it is.

I agree, the K7xx isn't as abrasive in that area. I found different amps and tube rolling can change how brash and forward the K612 can sound. Pad rolling to K7xx pads can eliminate than brashness and forwardness as well. My K612 was being borrowed for a while, been using the HD 600 in the meantime. I get the K612 back along with a Q701 tomorrow. Which I'm happy about since I haven't tried either on the Schiit Lyr 2 yet.

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #1,453 of 2,435
  Ohhhhhh yeah, I just bought the AKG K612 Pro. Damn, now it will be the dreaded waiting until they show up in the mail. I hope they are going to rock my socks like they have for the majority of people in this thread. I am super excited to get them. The review done by kman1211 is what convinced me to purchase. Cheers to everyone here.

I hope you enjoy them, they may take a few days to adjust to. They will be quite different than the DT 770. I'm glad you find my review helpful.

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #1,454 of 2,435

I hope you enjoy them, they may take a few days to adjust to. They will be quite different than the DT 770. I'm glad you find my review helpful.

A friend of mine owns the Q701. I heard them about 6 months back. I remember I only had about a 30 minute session with them. That being said, the soundstage, midrange, and details were far better than on the Beyers. I could easily hear things in the music that just can't be heard on the DT770.  It was a nice change as well to hear some music without the bloated and boomy bass of the DT770 Pro. The only pitfall for me was that I found the treble on the Q701 to be just a little too bright. By looking at what everyone has said, including yourself, it has been proven that the K612 Pro has less brightness in the treble, but still maintains that nice and airy detail. I use headphones for 60 percent music, and 40 percent gaming. The K612 should offer fantastic detail and imaging for games as well. I am really looking forward to it. Thanks again for your awesome review. You definitely sold me on getting a pair.

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #1,455 of 2,435

A friend of mine owns the Q701. I heard them about 6 months back. I remember I only had about a 30 minute session with them. That being said, the soundstage, midrange, and details were far better than on the Beyers. I could easily hear things in the music that just can't be heard on the DT770.  It was a nice change as well to hear some music without the bloated and boomy bass of the DT770 Pro. The only pitfall for me was that I found the treble on the Q701 to be just a little too bright. By looking at what everyone has said, including yourself, it has been proven that the K612 Pro has less brightness in the treble, but still maintains that nice and airy detail. I use headphones for 60 percent music, and 40 percent gaming. The K612 should offer fantastic detail and imaging for games as well. I am really looking forward to it. Thanks again for your awesome review. You definitely sold me on getting a pair.

The system can be a big factor in how bright or even good a headphone sounds. You know what the Q701 was plugged into?  It's been a while since I heard the DT 770. I found Beyers do tend to have a bit of a boominess to their bass, though different systems can alleviate this problem. I prefer the AKG and Senn bass due to them having more texture and resolution. I haven't had my K612 for about a month, I'm about to get it back and a Q701 tomorrow, can't wait to see how the two compare on a higher end system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back