AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Sep 19, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #1,471 of 2,435
  The last few days, the two pairs of headphones I ended up coming down to deciding upon were the K612 Pro and the AD900X. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to audition either before buying. I was also interested in the Soundmagic HP100, HP150, and HP200, but they can't be shipped here. Only amazon.ca was available for shipping an HP100, and they wanted 335 for it. Well, rather overpriced considering they are 200 now in the US. Regarding the AD900X, it seems that the lack of bass definition and impact that was an issue with the original AD700 and AD900 have now been resolved in the AD700X and AD900X. Many people on head-fi seem to praise the AD900X. Searching the forums though, I don't think many people have tested the K612 pro and AD900X side by side. It would have been interesting to see a direct comparison done by someone on here. I am probably always going to wonder.
tongue_smile.gif

I haven't heard the AD900X before. Well I just got my K612 back as well as the Q701, the K612 is noticeably darker and more laid-back than the Q701 on my system, the Q701 is smoother and more refined though. The K612 reminds me a bit of the HD 600 on my amp and tubes. From what i gathered the K612 is darker, bassier, and less grainy than the AD900X.

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #1,472 of 2,435

I haven't heard the AD900X before. Well I just got my K612 back as well as the Q701, the K612 is noticeably darker and more laid-back than the Q701 on my system, the Q701 is smoother and more refined though. The K612 reminds me a bit of the HD 600 on my amp and tubes.

do you prefer q701 on you system ? I found it little bright for my taste.. may be can you do the bass mod and report back, if you can ? 

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #1,473 of 2,435

I haven't heard the AD900X before. Well I just got my K612 back as well as the Q701, the K612 is noticeably darker and more laid-back than the Q701 on my system, the Q701 is smoother and more refined though. The K612 reminds me a bit of the HD 600 on my amp and tubes. From what i gathered the K612 is darker, bassier, and less grainy than the AD900X.

HD600 might be a little bit dark, no surprise,  according to its FR curves. Not K612, most of the observations can be explained by its FR curve and are consistent with most reviewers' comments.

Sep 20, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #1,474 of 2,435

do you prefer q701 on you system ? I found it little bright for my taste.. may be can you do the bass mod and report back, if you can ? 

Actually I do, but only with an aftermarkert cable which cleans up the sound a bit and gives it a black background, some reason with both the Q701 and the K712 I need to have aftermarket cables on them to properly enjoy them. It is a bit bright, but my system is grain-free enough where it's not an annoyance, considering my other headphones are quite neutral or somewhat dark it is a nice change. Though if I can get K712 pads I will basically have a Q701 and K712. I probably won't do the bass port mod. The headband bumps are a bit iffy but I find bending the leather around to soften it up helps quite a bit.
  HD600 might be a little bit dark, no surprise,  according to its FR curves. Not K612, most of the observations can be explained by its FR curve and are consistent with most reviewers' comments.

The HD 600 is a tad dark but only slightly. The K612 like basically every headphone varies a bit from system to system, it's slightly dark on my system.

Sep 20, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #1,475 of 2,435
Damn, the wait is just torture. My K612 Pro should be here on Monday or Tuesday. I can't wait to test them out. If anyone is interested, I will put up a comparison with the DT770 Pro 250 ohm once I break in the K612 Pro for 20 or more hours.

Sep 20, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #1,476 of 2,435
I have a K612 due to show up on tuesday, hopefully it will pair well with my vintage Marantz integrated I have in my dorm room.  I'm a huge fan of the HD600s (I have a pair back in Texas with a Woo Wa6) so I'm excited to hear people comparing them to the K612.

Sep 20, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #1,477 of 2,435
  I have a K612 due to show up on tuesday, hopefully it will pair well with my vintage Marantz integrated I have in my dorm room.  I'm a huge fan of the HD600s (I have a pair back in Texas with a Woo Wa6) so I'm excited to hear people comparing them to the K612.

I am interested to hear your opinion once you get yours too, JumpingBean.

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #1,479 of 2,435
Well, about 8 hours in, and very impressed so far. The sound is already changing. The bass is tightening in the 120 Hz to 200 Hz region. The low end frequencies on these headphone are tight, defined, controlled, detailed, and lovely. There is no boomyness at all. I am very happy to now have some headphones that do not have boomy bass which causes a loss of detail in the mids. One thing to note is there is a bit of a spike in the 2khz-4khz region. There is also just a little note of additional brightness in the upper treble area. It is more noticable in certain songs. In foobar2000, I am using the following EQ set.

2.5 KHz @ -3
14 Khz @ -1
20 Khz @ -1

To my ears, this offers a very neutral and musical sound. These headphones sound vastly superior to the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm I had. Honestly, there is no comparison at all. I may end up going completely flat on the EQ after burn in. I guess I will have to see how the sound signature changes during usage. Thanks to kman1211 for recommending me these headphones. I do not think a better 200 dollar headphone exists. The midrange, soundstage, and detail on these headphones are just a cut above the Beyers I had.

Edit: These headphones are actually harder to drive than the DT770 Pro 250 ohm as well. They require about 20 percent more volume on my Racoon SG300 Tube DAC/AMP combo.

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #1,480 of 2,435

Yes, the K701's hump in the upper mid/lower treble is larger than the K612s

Actually the K701's hump in the upper mid/lower treble is larger than the K612s though it has less grain in that region.

I tested them side-by-side and the difference was glaring. The K701 might measure that way, but it's not offensive (maybe due to the diffuseness of the sound). The K612, on the other hand, has a much more forward presentation that sounds honky and glossy. Try listening to trumpets/horns and you will know what I'm talking about.

At any rate, I was pointing to the original comment about the K612 being "one of the most neutral." I don't think it is.

one of the most neutral, IMO

I tested them side-by-side and the difference was glaring. The K701 might measure that way, but it's not offensive (maybe due to the diffuseness of the sound). The K612, on the other hand, has a much more forward presentation that sounds honky and glossy. Try listening to trumpets/horns and you will know what I'm talking about.

At any rate, I was pointing to the original comment about the K612 being "one of the most neutral." I don't think it is.

I agree, the K7xx isn't as abrasive in that area. I found different amps and tube rolling can change how brash and forward the K612 can sound. Pad rolling to K7xx pads can eliminate than brashness and forwardness as well. My K612 was being borrowed for a while, been using the HD 600 in the meantime. I get the K612 back along with a Q701 tomorrow. Which I'm happy about since I haven't tried either on the Schiit Lyr 2 yet.

612 is more difficult to drive than 700 series, however it deserves a decent set up (dac + amp) to fully explore its potential. It probably is not exceptional in some specific areas but one of the best all-arounders, balanced and neutral.

612 is more difficult to drive, it deserves a decent set up (dac + amp) to fully explore its potential.

Actually I do, but only with an aftermarkert cable which cleans up the sound a bit and gives it a black background, some reason with both the Q701 and the K712 I need to have aftermarket cables on them to properly enjoy them. It is a bit bright, but my system is grain-free enough where it's not an annoyance, considering my other headphones are quite neutral or somewhat dark it is a nice change. Though if I can get K712 pads I will basically have a Q701 and K712. I probably won't do the bass port mod. The headband bumps are a bit iffy but I find bending the leather around to soften it up helps quite a bit.

The HD 600 is a tad dark but only slightly. The K612 like basically every headphone varies a bit from system to system, it's slightly dark on my system.

have never felt 612 dark, do you?

Well, about 8 hours in, and very impressed so far. The sound is already changing. The bass is tightening in the 120 Hz to 200 Hz region. The low end frequencies on these headphone are tight, defined, controlled, detailed, and lovely. There is no boomyness at all. I am very happy to now have some headphones that do not have boomy bass which causes a loss of detail in the mids. One thing to note is there is a bit of a spike in the 2khz-4khz region. There is also just a little note of additional brightness in the upper treble area. It is more noticable in certain songs. In foobar2000, I am using the following EQ set.

2.5 KHz @ -3
14 Khz @ -1
20 Khz @ -1

To my ears, this offers a very neutral and musical sound. These headphones sound vastly superior to the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm I had. Honestly, there is no comparison at all. I may end up going completely flat on the EQ after burn in. I guess I will have to see how the sound signature changes during usage. Thanks to kman1211 for recommending me these headphones. I do not think a better 200 dollar headphone exists. The midrange, soundstage, and detail on these headphones are just a cut above the Beyers I had.

Edit: These headphones are actually harder to drive than the DT770 Pro 250 ohm as well. They require about 20 percent more volume on my Racoon SG300 Tube DAC/AMP combo.

your observations are very similar to mine, so far

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #1,481 of 2,435
I probably have about 14 hours or so now on the K612 Pro. This is such a nice pair of headphones. My music collection consists of hundreds of CDs which are all heavy metal and hard rock. The sound signature is just so detailed, smooth, and neutral. It makes music just so relaxing to listen to. I am glad that these headphones pair very well together with my Racoon SG300 tube DAC/AMP combo. The bass is tight and extended, and has nice impact. The mids are smooth, rich, and refined. Both male and female vocals are presented with great accuracy and control.The treble is detailed and airy, but not too bright at all. I think anyone wanting a good 200 dollar pair of open headphones needs to give these a try. In this price range, you won't find a better sound. Cheers to everyone here.

Sep 27, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #1,482 of 2,435
Yeah, though these really like tube amps.
Regardless, mine are on sale if anyone's interested :)

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #1,483 of 2,435
I must have about 25 hours or so on the K612 Pro now. These puppies really do sound good for the money. As it is for everyone though, we always want it to sound "just right" to our ears. After several tests with music I know the exact sound signature and details of, I am now using the following EQ set.

55 Hz @ +1
77 Hz @ +1
110 Hz @ +1
156 Hz @  +1
2.5 Khz @ -3
14 Khz @ -1
20 Khz @ -1

This cuts that spike around the 2 Khz mark, as well as that trace of brightness around 14 Khz to 20 Khz, and gives just a small bump to the lower bass and mid bass region. The bass on these headphone is nice and quick, with fast decay. To my ears, they sound even better with a +1 small bump across the lower region. This EQ set with foobar2000 sounds great now to my ears. Feel free to give it a try with your set. You may also like it. 
tongue_smile.gif
As always though, your mileage may vary.

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #1,485 of 2,435
I'm new to the audiophile world and i'm currently doing research on various headphones, looking to buy my first decent pair. 

Would the k612pro function fairly decently powered by a cmoy amp? i'm an electronics major right now and i'm interested in building my own amp

also how does my onboard audio look in terms of quality? it's not a standard motherboard, fairly high-end

http://i.gyazo.com/ed3adbe66fbf77feee99ff7dcf9f5dea.png

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_EVO/specifications/ (see audio)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back