AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Jan 25, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #31 of 2,435
Sorry to thread-hijack, but what would be a good amp for the K601?

I'm already looking to an upgrade for the incoming AD700s I have even yet to hear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #32 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by oli84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm already looking to an upgrade for the incoming AD700s I have even yet to hear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well they're fitting very very nicely with my Headfive.

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #34 of 2,435
I really like the pair of K601s I picked up used here a few months back. I previously had the DT880 03 version (or 05?) and I prefer the AKGs. I run them with my Dynalo and like the combo quite a bit. I also have SR-60s which are relegated to work pretty much. I previously had a pair of K401s which convinced me that AKG was the closest to what I was looking for.

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #35 of 2,435
#1615 owner here. Looks like AKG has sold quite a few of these since then.
wink.gif

What would be a good amp for the K601? For me, it is absolutely the Graham Slee Solo. The pair sounds so amazingly life-like and real I just had to write this thread. Now that I've improved my interconnect issues and got a Senn replacement cable since then, the HD-650 is back on my fav cans list (they're just my type of sound). But it does not change the fact that there is something magical-sounding about the Solo+K601 pairing.

Cheers!

Jan 25, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #36 of 2,435
My HD595s have officially sold via ebay so I can now "come out" about the K601s to my girlfriend! Phew.

I am enjoying them an awful, awful lot after just a few hours.

Any tips on what 100 hours burn-in will reveal?

Jan 25, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #37 of 2,435
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Are you looking portable or home? If portable, I'm running mine through a 2007 Total Bithead with no problems (gotta love than new gian switch). For home, I use a Original Electronics Master. It's a real good match to the K601's and not expensive (though it sounds liek it should be).

Jan 26, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #38 of 2,435
Serial # 2129 here.

Jan 26, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #40 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by SickMouthy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My HD595s have officially sold via ebay so I can now "come out" about the K601s to my girlfriend! Phew.

I am enjoying them an awful, awful lot after just a few hours.

Any tips on what 100 hours burn-in will reveal?

I found that the highs became less rolled-off. Definitely not a bright can by any stretch, but out of the box I thought they were a bit dull up top.

Not anymore. Now I think they are just right, and they are my favorite all-arounder - even over the DT880, because of the larger soundstage.

All this is my opinion, of course. I still love my DT880 for mellower stuff like softer rock, jazz, classical, etc. Heck, I still love 'em for rock and metal, but I find myself reaching for the K601 more often. Of course, that might change from time to time. I guess my ears are imposing a kind of listening balance so none of my cans feel left out. ha-ha
icon10.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #42 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you looking portable or home? If portable, I'm running mine through a 2007 Total Bithead with no problems (gotta love than new gian switch). For home, I use a Original Electronics Master. It's a real good match to the K601's and not expensive (though it sounds liek it should be).

I am looking into something for use with a computer as source. I'm guessing that would count as home. Although I thought the Total Bithead was already a USB DAC/Amp combined into one? Please tell me if I'm correct.

And another question for you guys: based on my experiences with my Shure E4c, which I absolutely love (meaning I'm not much into powerful bass), how pleased would I be with the K601?

Jan 26, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #43 of 2,435
Should there be a seperate appreciation thread? I'm really beginning to think, after just a day, that these are the "best" headphones I've used, and "owners unite" isn't going to attract as much attention and converts as "appreciation". I'm just thinking of the ludicrously devastating sweep of the MS-1 thread...

Jan 26, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #44 of 2,435
Quote:

I am looking into something for use with a computer as source. I'm guessing that would count as home. Although I thought the Total Bithead was already a USB DAC/Amp combined into one? Please tell me if I'm correct.

You are correct. In fact, the Total Bithead would the perfect amp for you. With its new gain switch, it'll drive the K601's to heaven and back.

Quote:

And another question for you guys: based on my experiences with my Shure E4c, which I absolutely love (meaning I'm not much into powerful bass), how pleased would I be with the K601?

Well, if you're not into bass, then maybe the K601's wouldn't be to your likeing. They are NOT bass heavy by any stretch, but the bass that should be there is there. Personally, I think the K601's are superb. The sound very even keeled across the spectrum, and are comfortable as all get out - so I can wear them for hours with no fatigue. Will you like them? Sound unheard, it's hard to say. But I'm willing to bet you will.

Jan 26, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #45 of 2,435
I just traded my HD 600's for a pair of 601's and am eagerly awaiting their arrival. I have a set of 271 Studios with Mobius upgradethat I like alot and can't wait to do a comparison between the two AKG models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back