AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Feb 6, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #2,296 of 2,435
  does anyone know how long it takes the pads to break in? iv had them week now but still a little to hard and firm, its more pressure than id like.

I think the pads retain their shape for at least a couple years so I don't think they are going to change much softer either. Personally I did not usually have trouble with the pads, except for a little while when changing from Beyers to the K601/K701.

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #2,298 of 2,435
when I had the K712 I don't remember the pads suffering from being this hard and I found out they are memory foam, not sure what material these pads are. ill look see if I can buy the 712 pads because they should fit fine?

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #2,299 of 2,435
I'm ordering a Fiio K5 for my K612 in a few days to pair it with my X3ii. That amp seems like it can give K612 juice more than enough. Not to mention that it's pretty cheap. Ideas? Portability is not my case, I need an amp only at home with my desktop computer. I'm also using my X3ii as DAC for my computer and I want to add an amp to my current setup. 

I wonder if you could advise me on a choice of portable amp for my K612. I currently use a Topping Nx-1 on high gain setting via LOD L9 from my iPod classic 160gb and am pleasantly surprised by the sound. I listen at low to moderate volumes to protect my ears and appreciate the clarity I hear. I wear hearing aids for conversation and listening to my hi-fi through speakers, but prefer to listen via headphones without them. My moderate hearing loss is in the treble and midrange, but with the excellent clarity of the K612 and the uncolored amplification of the Topping Nx-1 plus the relatively thin sound of the iPod's DAC I don't feel that I am missing too much. Now I am wondering whether to buy a Cayin C5 or an Aune B1 to improve the sound quality further. Both amps have good reviews but I wonder which would be better for me, or should I just stick with the Topping? I really value your opinion

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #2,300 of 2,435
I wonder if you could advise me on a choice of portable amp for my K612. I currently use a Topping Nx-1 on high gain setting via LOD L9 from my iPod classic 160gb and am pleasantly surprised by the sound. I listen at low to moderate volumes to protect my ears and appreciate the clarity I hear. I wear hearing aids for conversation and listening to my hi-fi through speakers, but prefer to listen via headphones without them. My moderate hearing loss is in the treble and midrange, but with the excellent clarity of the K612 and the uncolored amplification of the Topping Nx-1 plus the relatively thin sound of the iPod's DAC I don't feel that I am missing too much. Now I am wondering whether to buy a Cayin C5 or an Aune B1 to improve the sound quality further. Both amps have good reviews but I wonder which would be better for me, or should I just stick with the Topping? I really value your opinion

Depends on your satisfaction. Actually, NX1 is a good amp which have a moderate power to drive some serious headphones. It had a high swing if I'm not mistaken. But since K612s are basically ''no sensitivity'' headphones (~90 dB) they love extra power for more headroom. For example, my X3ii struggles a little because of nearly full volume (110-115/120) although my music is so dynamic and instrument based like progressive metal. 
If you need a portable amp, I'd say Cayin C5 or Fiio A5. Both devices clearly give the extra headroom to K612 and they never color the sound.
Note that I don't know about Aune B1 that much so no comments from me.
You can write me whenever you want.

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #2,301 of 2,435
Depends on your satisfaction. Actually, NX1 is a good amp which have a moderate power to drive some serious headphones. It had a high swing if I'm not mistaken. But since K612s are basically ''no sensitivity'' headphones (~90 dB) they love extra power for more headroom. For example, my X3ii struggles a little because of nearly full volume (110-115/120) although my music is so dynamic and instrument based like progressive metal. 

If you need a portable amp, I'd say Cayin C5 or Fiio A5. Both devices clearly give the extra headroom to K612 and they never color the sound.

Note that I don't know about Aune B1 that much so no comments from me.

You can write me whenever you want.

Thank you so much for your prompt and helpful reply. I will think about this a lot in the next few weeks

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #2,303 of 2,435
Small comparison here which made me love the K612 even more

K712 Pro - Slightly better detail than 612, smaller soundstage, less sub bass more mid bass, harder bite in the lower treble, better instrument separation.

K702 - Airier sounding than 612, slightly larger soundstage, less bass, more treble emphasis, slightly faster sounding.

K612 Pro - Most balanced of the 3, deeper bass, smoother treble, similar detail and soundstage.

beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #2,304 of 2,435
Small comparison here which made me love the K612 even more

K712 Pro - Slightly better detail than 612, smaller soundstage, less sub bass more bid bass, harder bite in the lower treble, better instrument separation.

K701 - Airier sounding than 612, slightly larger soundstage, less bass, more treble emphasis, slightly faster sounding.

K612 Pro - Most balanced of the 3, deeper bass, smoother treble, similar detail and soundstage.

:beerchug:

So glad that I got the K612. Probably the best all-rounder quality headphones in terms of value. No bloat, just a sensible bit of extra bass vs.the K702 and a more natural, believable soundstage. They even sound balanced and detailed at low volume. Headphone nirvana for me!

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #2,305 of 2,435
So glad that I got the K612. Probably the best all-rounder quality headphones in terms of value. No bloat, just a sensible bit of extra bass vs.the K702 and a more natural, believable soundstage. They even sound balanced and detailed at low volume. Headphone nirvana for me!

They actually retain almost all properties even with the bass mod, so think stock sound with just a nudge more bass in the 70-100hz region a little more than the sub-bass region. The most graceful of all AKG to do the bass-mod imo

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #2,309 of 2,435
Mainly because the reviews of the B1 indicate that it's a better amp than the A5 and the Cayin C5

You should not always go by reviews, try things for yourself.

i used to by reviews and ended up very disappointed... quite often

the 3 things iv tried that live up to the hype for me personaly are HD650 / LCD2/ Mojo

if you can buy both B1 and A5 then you should and listen to see what you like best then return the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back