AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Feb 5, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #2,285 of 2,435
I'm ordering a Fiio K5 for my K612 in a few days to pair it with my X3ii. That amp seems like it can give K612 juice more than enough. Not to mention that it's pretty cheap. Ideas? Portability is not my case, I need an amp only at home with my desktop computer. I'm also using my X3ii as DAC for my computer and I want to add an amp to my current setup. 

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #2,286 of 2,435
AKG K601 was my first hifi class headphone, it replacing my Beyerdynamic DT 440 Edition cans. Well, maybe some consider the latter as hifi too, but I think it was more mid-range for consumers who didn't know better. My K601 was the real deal, original series that was still manufactured in Austria and not China... (Serial number was low 16000s.) But being a student back then, I sold my pair after a couple years to get another Beyers...

Damn, I do miss the K601! Maybe not sound-wise, since later on I bought the K701 cans and again sold them away as 'boring', but even back in the day I went for the K601 because of their striking looks. Those are the cans that I would own simply for putting them on display and looking at them every day.

K612 Pro is selling so cheap here that I might grab them instead. Not quite the same in looks but fairly close.

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #2,287 of 2,435
  AKG K601 was my first hifi class headphone, it replacing my Beyerdynamic DT 440 Edition cans. Well, maybe some consider the latter as hifi too, but I think it was more mid-range for consumers who didn't know better. My K601 was the real deal, original series that was still manufactured in Austria and not China... (Serial number was low 16000s.) But being a student back then, I sold my pair after a couple years to get another Beyers...

Damn, I do miss the K601! Maybe not sound-wise, since later on I bought the K701 cans and again sold them away as 'boring', but even back in the day I went for the K601 because of their striking looks. Those are the cans that I would own simply for putting them on display and looking at them every day.

K612 Pro is selling so cheap here that I might grab them instead. Not quite the same in looks but fairly close.

my first hifi can was sennheiser hd 598, after i tryed k601 i knew, hd598 has to go

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #2,289 of 2,435
I'm really enjoying some of the mid fi headphones at the moment, I have wasted a lot of money and been disappointed with the flagships I have heard. there always seems to be 1 big problem. with that said id still like to do a comparison of HD800 and K812.

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #2,290 of 2,435
  I'm really enjoying some of the mid fi headphones at the moment, I have wasted a lot of money and been disappointed with the flagships I have heard. there always seems to be 1 big problem. with that said id still like to do a comparison of HD800 and K812.

I own the K812 and share your disappointment with flagships, even though this is the only true flagship I've owned. (+ the old DT 880 and DT 990) I have tried the Beyerdynamic T1 (2. gen) and own the T90 as my alternative primary headphones. Sometimes I think I should sell them both and go back to my beloved DT 990 and take a few years off until the next generation arrives. (Or forget 'upgrades' for good.)

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #2,293 of 2,435
  flagships are better but not a lot better,  i tried a lot of flagships and i made a decision to stay with my k601, 15 to 20 times the price is not worth it for 15-20 percent better performance and 50 percent more weight

For me, they are better in some areas and lack something else. I don't feel justified to invest all that money for having the same feeling that I still lack something. I would be happy to pay close to a 1000 € for a headphone that did everything better than any cheaper can out there, but they don't.

Quote:
  I saw the impulse response for the k812 and its actually worse than K701, looks like the bass distortion is too.

I can't compare them at the same time but K812 has definitely more bass. I think most of it is generated by the acoustic chamber inside the ear pads so the bass is muddy and seems to be split into two sections with a gap in the middle. Sometimes there is strong but lazy bass, sometimes it's comparable to the K701. K812 is also the first headphone, for me, that seems to screw up some songs, making them sound broken. My biggest issue with the cans is that they break up some songs. For example, the vocals or some instruments might be pushed so far back that I have to increase the volume too loud to hear everything properly. Sometimes the bass is big but slow, sometimes it's at the level of the K701. I like bright treble and more often than not these cans don't deliver, fading off lots of detail that I know should be there, and it drives me crazy. But with many, many tracks the K812 sound really good. So far less than two weeks in.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #2,294 of 2,435
I can speak for certain flagships which were not a big upgrade at all, and it seems to be the case with most high end headphones these days, but it's not an exaggeration to say the hd800 is definitely a huge step up compared to any other headphone I ever tried. I'm not into the whole expensive=better thing, and I regard the k601 as one of the best headphones out there regardless of price, but the hd800 is definitely a flagship worthy of holding its title, it's a complete upgrade from the 700 series in every way possible unlike other flagships I have tried

Users who are viewing this thread

Back