AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Apr 16, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #2,176 of 2,435
  they have, but i removed mine, i like them better without foam rings, more treble energy, more airy

Yesterday I made a comparison between my k601 with k702 pads with and without the inner foam rings.

First of all, generally comparisans are quite difficult, because on a direct comp. we (mostly) prefer the louder one, even if it sounds worse.
And in that case, I feel the same way.
Well, I do agree that it gets even more airy than it already is.
And the midrange up to the treble gets "more energy", because of less damping what means it gets louder.
In other words only the bass stays like it is, and I thinks the k601 already has not that much bass.
So the bass gets quieter in comparison to the rest of the spectrum

When comparing the next time, try to turn down the volume a little bit, when listening to the one without rings.

Apr 16, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #2,177 of 2,435
i did a couple of test to decide how to use them, i use them for acoustic, classical music and female vocals, i like them better without foam rings, not only the treble and upper mids are more forward, but the soundstage is even more huge now, they have more energy in the upper treble above 10 khz which makes them my analytical headphones, without foam rings they are detail freaks

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #2,180 of 2,435
I ended up getting another pair of K612's, got them lightly used for $90(they are barely used as almost no pad wear and are in pristine condition, not to mention they sound like a pre-burnt-in K612), this time it's a chinese made pair, the plastics used in the construction does feel different. The Austrain made pairs are slightly nicer and a little more substantial feeling in the hand though the difference is slight and isn't near as big as between the K712 and K7XX in build.

Soundwise, they seem similar but these aren't broken in yet. Going to burn them in the same way as my old pairs as they are behaving the exact same way as my first pair, a torture test with a bass heavy song looping continuously loudly for a while to the point where the driver looses control and crinkles a bit when the bass-heavy notes hit. After they burn in like this for a day or two they stop this and won't distort or have the driver crinkle no matter how loud you crank the volume up. This is how I burn in all the AKG K7 and K6 headphones I've owned(did this with numerous pairs so I'm not worried about damage or anything, don't feel comfortable doing this with anything but these AKGs), quickest way I found and I found the imaging and control really comes to life after this. 

These really do like an high output impedance amp, really makes the treble shine and smooths it out.

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #2,182 of 2,435

I agree -- the K612 sounded particularly good on my HDVA600, with its ~40 ohm output impedance (unusually high for solid state). I suspect OTL tube amps would be a good match too.

Haven't heard them on that amp, I'm just using a Project Sunrise III on High(output impedance 69 ohms). From what I've been told they truly shine on a 120 ohms output impedance, but don't have an Ember or Polaris to test that out. A friend of mine will let me test out the Ember II in about a month so I can see if this is true or not. The only problem I had with the K612 in the past was the roughness in the treble but I didn't have any amps with high output impedance back them. Not sure what it is about AKGs, they've always been weird and never really behaved like other headphones I've owned. But once you hear what an AKG with good synergy can do it's something truly special.

Apr 22, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #2,184 of 2,435
Doesn't appear to have been discussed.  An easy way to check is simply to use the "search this thread" function under the title at the top. Makes finding something a bit easier without going through every post.

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #2,186 of 2,435
I have the k601 for some years now, and i appreciate them very much. Still, i'm on the quest for a better headphone,what would be a similar headphone but better? I mean,if possible, i'd looking something with a similar sound signature, but with more punchy bass,more detailed mids,and most of all, the same or larger soundstage.Suggestions?

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #2,189 of 2,435
How much do you want to send? The he400i and he560 might be a good look if you're looking for a similar tuning but a planar magnetic delivery. The soundstage will take a hit a little due to akg's great width but the signatures will be close enough yet more details can emerge from the planar magnetic.

Also look at the Sony MA900

Users who are viewing this thread

Back