AKG K550 - NEW!!
Mar 16, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #1,007 of 1,494
For now only the Grados were too much for me but only sometimes, I did enjoy those cans for the most part.

Little off topic but now I am listening Phonak PFE (grey filters) with Depeche Mode and they do render beautiful those synths with a sprakle on top, just if someone has turn on the lights, enjoying my coffee and cigarettes break definitely
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Yeah, i've had loads of very sparkly at the top cans. I only hate true treble spikes like with the ck10 iem or the shure 940. K550 to my ears don't classify in this bracket at all.

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #1,008 of 1,494
Hey would anyone who has heard the K550 and Beyer t5p care to comment on how they stack up to each other sonically. Thanks

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #1,009 of 1,494
Thanks. Could you kindly explain how to use the E10 as DAC and E9 as the amp with a PC source?
Do I really need both since i have the X-Fi Titanium HD soundcard?

Thanks. Could you kindly explain how to use the E10 as DAC and E9 as the amp with a PC source?
Do I really need both since i have the X-Fi Titanium HD soundcard?

I'm not sure on the inputs/outputs on your soundcard. I assume that you'll be able to use this with the fiio e9 directly.

e10 with the e9 would be simple. Starting from scratch connect e10 to e9 via a 3.5mm-3.5mm cable. Have the e9 dc power lead attached and switched on. Connect e10 to pc via a usb A to B mini cable. Your headphones should be plugged into the fiio e9, preferably the quater inch jack. Switch your pc on and it should automatically disable your soundcard completely. If it hasn't automatically detected the fiio's, you can do this via the control panel sound settings. In any case, once the fiio's are plugged in, the pc should start to install drivers by itself.

It's not that difficult really - only slightly intimidating for a newbie perhaps.

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #1,010 of 1,494

Quote:
I'm not sure on the inputs/outputs on your soundcard. I assume that you'll be able to use this with the fiio e9 directly.
e10 with the e9 would be simple. Starting from scratch connect e10 to e9 via a 3.5mm-3.5mm cable. Have the e9 dc power lead attached and switched on. Connect e10 to pc via a usb A to B mini cable. Switch your pc on and it should automatically disable your soundcard completely. If it hasn't automatically detected the fiio's, you can do this via the control panel sound settings. In any case, once the fiio's are plugged in, the pc should start to install drivers by itself.
It's not that difficult really - only slightly intimidating for a newbie perhaps.

Thank you, but I'm still not sure about the benefits of doing this vs just using my soundcard, which is supposed to be one of the best you can buy for PC. Could you explain?
Soundcard details: http://uk.store.creative.com/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x-fi-titanium-hd/1-19749.aspx

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #1,011 of 1,494
Just connect the soundcard to the fiio e9 directly using one twin phono (white/red) to 3.5mm jack cable. So the twin phono out of the soundcard and the 3.5mm into the 'line in' on the back of the fiio e9. Headphones are to be connected to the fiio e9 obviously.

The t5p i did not like at all. But i didn't have it for a long time, so i can't give a really good a to b comparison. It's similar to the shure 940, and i've reviewed how they compare earlier in this thread.

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #1,012 of 1,494

Quote:
Just connect the soundcard to the fiio directly using one twin phono (white/red) to 3.5mm jack cable. So the twin phono out of the soundcard and the 3.5mm into the 'line in' on the back of the fiio e9. Headphones are to be connected to the fiio e9 obviously.
The t5p i did not like at all. But i didn't have it for a long time, so i can't give a really good a to b comparison. It's similar to the shure 940, and i've reviewed how they compare earlier in this threadr.

^This.

The E10 isn't doing anything on the sound chain, and would actually lower the overall sound quality as the X-Fi Titanium HD has a better DAC, and amping needs are met with E9 alone.

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #1,015 of 1,494
A simple question:

If you were to choose between K550's and D2000's, and if D2000's cost more than twice as much, which would you get?

Both would be used with a proper amp and source, mostly used to rock, pop, electronic, hip hop, movies and games. They better sound good for vocal, jazz, acoustic as well, but
I have Q701 to cover those genres already, so its not a big deal if they suck at it. :p

Mar 17, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #1,017 of 1,494
Ive thought about doing that as with my M50, but I think I'd be nervous modding a $300 headphone.

Mar 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #1,018 of 1,494
Would anyone who heard these and Q701's say which one is more fun for older rock such as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyid, Dire Straits, Eagles, etc....and for electronic, hip hop, rap?

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #1,019 of 1,494

Quote:
Would anyone who heard these and Q701's say which one is more fun for older rock such as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyid, Dire Straits, Eagles, etc....and for electronic, hip hop, rap?

K240s, HDk242 are better for these genres... (and for anything else, lol) seriously, these are just good cans if you use the velours. the pleather ones are just too bassy.

IMHO the K701 is great for detail and seperation, but FR-wise and from the point of actually enjoying music, the K550 beats the K701 from top to bottom.

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #1,020 of 1,494

Quote:
K240s, HDk242 are better for these genres... (and for anything else, lol) seriously, these are just good cans if you use the velours. the pleather ones are just too bassy.

IMHO the K701 is great for detail and seperation, but FR-wise and from the point of actually enjoying music, the K550 beats the K701 from top to bottom.

You mean K550's are too bassy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back