AKG K550 - NEW!!
Mar 11, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #976 of 1,494
The k550 has by far the largest soundstage of all true closed cans i've come across. Thats why it's a true breath of fresh air to the world of closed cans, hence the positive reviews from tyll and what hifi.

The ed8 is actually very fatiguing to listen to. Its got an undoubtable mid bass hump and very forward general presentation. Combine this with how it's sounstage is rather small- fatigue.
It excells in many other areas compared to the k550 though.

From what i read about the sony, its no revelation. Small soundstage. There are plenty similar around- like the shure 840. I haven't heard it so i can't say for sure though.

Mar 11, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #977 of 1,494
The Z1000's soundstage isn't constricted to my ears, but it lacks front-to-back depth compared to the K550. It's quite wide on either side though which makes for a rather cinematic presentation (like an iMAX screen). The roominess and air that the K550 achieves is one of its most impressive features, but speaking for myself it's not enough to make up for its shortcomings, even if I were to find myself in need of a sealed headphone. While less airy, both Ultrasone's have a rather holographic presentation. Unfortunately the finicky and controversial nature of S-Logic means some aren't going to perceive it as convincingly.

As for fatigue the Edition 8 is definitely fatiguing to me because its treble is too hot, and there's quite a bit of glare, though for me personally soundstage doesn't really contribute either way. I find the Signature Pro on the other hand to be quite a bit less fatiguing as it lacks the biting upper registers of the Edition 8.

Like most things in this hobby, fatigue is largely a subjective matter since we all have differing sensitivities. For me, the K550 to be quite fatiguing because of the hollow, thin, and tinny mids. The treble isn't overly bright in and of itself, but when coupled with the thinness of the overall presentation, it just enhances the grating effect for me personally.

Mar 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #978 of 1,494
Hi guys,
I bought those few month ago and I've to admit I really love those, soundstage is really impressive, sound quality too. 
I'd like to know if some of you bought a case for those, I'd like to buy one but I don't really know which.
It'd be nice if someone can give me information about a good case where the K550 correctly fits and is well protected.
Thanks!

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #979 of 1,494
That's a fair take on the k550 i guess. I can see why someone with your (luxurious) range of headphones would see the k550 as you do. My experience with full size headphones has firmly been in the closed back field only, hence the positive k550 impressions.

Just another point- insignificant really considering it won't apply to many people. We all know that there's a difference between short term and long term comfort when wearing headphones; I mean some that are painless for 1hr a day won't be if that's pushed up to 3hrs.

I've only ever come across one headphone that can remain comfortable to me under ultra long extended listening- yep the k550. 1 month, 7 days a week, 10 hours a day is what i mean when i say extended listening (university student close to exams!). I've put loads of closed headphones under this test over the years, but have always had to revert back to shallow fitting iems as none cut the mustard.

The Ed8's pads are just too small , tough and clamp too hard. That'll give up before day 2 finishes. Denon's d2k excessive weight and overly arches headband would cause it to falter after day 4/5. Beyers- no chance. I hated the comfort of the dt770 range. Rubbish rigid ear pads. Dt 150/ t5p sounded too bad for any continual listening. Even the light panasonics couldn't last for a few days as my ears would demand more space. After week 2, I'd get slightly irritated with the k271 as my ears would start to dislike resting on the foam covering the drivers inside the cups.

The k550 are alone for me in this regard. Long term comfort kings. Although for more civilized, short term, listening many of the other headphones have similar if not exceeding levels of comfort.

Oh and that's part of the reason why i passed on the sony's- you said that the earcups allow less space than the ed8's- can't cope with that i'm afraid.

cases for the k550?
No real idea mate. You can buy a large headphone 'leather' pouch from ebay. It'll ship from china probably but my large one is okayish for transporting the k550- not that i ever have had to often.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #980 of 1,494

Quote:

any of the older Sennheiser Flagships, HD580/600/650 and you will trash her like a used tissue.

lolwut? Two different headphones that sound completely different and are not objectively better than the other? I have heard the 650 and 701/2 The 70X line does certain vocals and classical instruments MUCH better than the 650's, that being said anything bass the 650's did better.

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #981 of 1,494

Quote:

lolwut? Two different headphones that sound completely different and are not objectively better than the other? I have heard the 650 and 701/2 The 70X line does certain vocals and classical instruments MUCH better than the 650's, that being said anything bass the 650's did better.

I concur, the K701 is HORRID for vocals especially! This enormous treble-peak starting around 7k is destroying every decent recording of a female artist and the lack, the absolute lack of any body at all, feels like someone kicked Barry White into his family jewels (male vocals).

This said I find the K240s (if you add some velours), theK242HD and especially the K240 MP/EP Sextetts far superior to the K/Q70X, despite less soundstage and less details. The HD580, the HD600 especially, and the HD650 don't suffer from any major flaws like these.

TL;DR, had all these phones, kept the HD600 and the K240 Sextetts.
Even though most I hear is classic and vocals, which some persist is the domain of the K701, lol.

Haven't heard a K550 yet, but from what I can deduct from these threads is prob a nice looking M50 with less bass and better looks.
---> too much treble

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #982 of 1,494

Quote:

I concur, the K701 is HORRID for vocals especially! This enormous treble-peak starting around 7k is destroying every decent recording of a female artist and the lack, the absolute lack of any body at all, feels like someone kicked Barry White into his family jewels (male vocals).

You must have a defective K701 or rotten source. Mine sound amazing on vocals and pretty much everything else. No treble peak either.

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #983 of 1,494
Just a complete lack of bass
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #984 of 1,494
No, bass is there.

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #985 of 1,494

Quote:

I concur, the K701 is HORRID for vocals especially!

if by bad you mean realistic and wonderful with out having the HD650 veil then yes, they are bad.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #989 of 1,494
I find Tylls review to be a very accurate account of the k550 and what it stands for. Cannot say I agree more.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

Maybe now more headfiers- especially the senior ones- will look at the k550... 

ps. Thanks a lot for the shoutout! Yea, i've wrote a hell of a lot more about the k550 than I have done for any of my other headphones. Just that it seemed to need it, with probably less than 10 headfiers having heard them, yet 100 trashing them.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #990 of 1,494

Quote:
right, a meaningless word first brought up by uncle eric himself, then comes the followers....

This, I'm almost sure he has never used the K70x line.  not eric idletimte1213.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back