AKG K550 - NEW!!
Mar 6, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #963 of 1,494
Mar 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #964 of 1,494

you are not a jerk, you are just a honest guy.

PS: This is probably whenever i see a product win a what hi-fi award I normally stop myself from impulse buying that product because I know there is a huge bias in that product 'goodness'
Quote:

I probably sound like a jerk, but that's possibly the worst review i've seen in a while.
Could have gotten the same general info from an AKG brochure.

Felt like something you'd see from Wired Magazine or some PC magazine.

Mar 7, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #965 of 1,494
What hi-fi aren't all that bad. Quite a lot of it is tripe, but there are some hidden gems there.

I remember among my first purchases from headfi were the beyer dt770 pro 80 and the ibasso d4. From a hell of a lot of reviews at headfi these two were meant to be amazing. I thought they sounded like ****. Coincidentally enough so too did what hi fi, giving both bad reviews.

For their cable reviews they use £10,000 cd players as part of the testing, so i'm not sure how accurate they actually are, but for systems i've had cables never have made an iota of an difference. Actually the one thing I did buy from their after discovering such an item exists from their website was a £25 mains power conditioner (6 way mains extension lead that has an inbuilt power conditioning thingy). It did actually bring about an audible improvement to my dacs/amps!

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #966 of 1,494
Times has changed, now they are more concerned about pleasing sponsors than anything else. 

Quote:
What hi-fi aren't all that bad. Quite a lot of it is tripe, but there are some hidden gems there.

I remember among my first purchases from headfi were the beyer dt770 pro 80 and the ibasso d4. From a hell of a lot of reviews at headfi these two were meant to be amazing. I thought they sounded like ****. Coincidentally enough so too did what hi fi, giving both bad reviews.

For their cable reviews they use £10,000 cd players as part of the testing, so i'm not sure how accurate they actually are, but for systems i've had cables never have made an iota of an difference. Actually the one thing I did buy from their after discovering such an item exists from their website was a £25 mains power conditioner (6 way mains extension lead that has an inbuilt power conditioning thingy). It did actually bring about an audible improvement to my dacs/amps!

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #968 of 1,494
I agree, it's not the best review, but with very little in the way of media attention concerning the k550s it is a little something.

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #969 of 1,494

Quote:
Times has changed, now they are more concerned about pleasing sponsors than anything else. 

Not sure about that, they still give Grado the gong on a lot of 'Best of the year' reviews, surely you're
 not suggesting that this humble outfit in New York can out spend the big spenders under the table
 with crony pay-offs.

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #970 of 1,494
The difference between tyll's review, what hi-fi, my review AND many of the reviews on headfi is simple.

You can see clearly from tyll's review that he's been in the hunt for closed and isolating headphones. He's tried many, but been dissapointed all too often. What hi-fi reviews main theme is that these are a closed isolating indoor phone that really break the trend of other closed backs. That is also my main point.

But many here can't seem to grasp that concept. The only way you can is if you yourself have a real need for a closed back, isolating and non leaking headphone. If not, then screw you and the k550. Many experienced headfiers with ultra high end open headphones have tried to find a closed isolating headphone that they can enjoy, and many have simply given up. There is not much out there. I remember loosely following skylabs hunt for one and it included many from the dt770/600, beyer t70 and ending up with the ed8- with isolation being among the most important of it's characteristics. 

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #971 of 1,494
Tyll's measurements actually look pretty good to me.  Its got a little dip in the mid to upper bass that can make them sound a little bass light to some people despite their great extension.

The DT1350's have a similar sort of dip and some people call them bass light but I don't really hear it that much.  It makes the occasional song sound a little odd and/or bass light if the drums happen to be tuned to near the bottom of the dip so I suppose it could be very dependent on your music collection.

Also, good closed headphones are really hard to find at any reasonable price.  If you're on anything resembling a budget I think modded T50RPs are the way to go but the K550s might change that when I get a chance to hear them.

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #972 of 1,494
t50 rp's really can't be a staple recommendation for a closed phone.

I mean you get them as a quite bad sounding semi open headphone. And there are practically infinite possible permutations thereafter, all affecting isolation/leakage.

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #973 of 1,494
I haven't heard the k550, but for those seeking a closed isolation phone the Sony MDR-Z1000 really needs to be considered I think.

Mine have arrived very recently and I don't want "new toy syndrome" to skew my thoughts too much, but they isolate (don't leak) superbly and sound quite impressive thus far.  They're quite portable as well, unlike the k550 is seems, and are extremely easy to drive (even sound good straight from the lame amp that is the iPod classic)

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #974 of 1,494
Quote:
t50 rp's really can't be a staple recommendation for a closed phone.
I mean you get them as a quite bad sounding semi open headphone. And there are practically infinite possible permutations thereafter, all affecting isolation/leakage.

Given the fact that you do have to mod them it should be obvious that they aren't a "staple" recommendation.

Also, its not hard to get lots of isolation of of them and even stock they have more isolation and less leakage than some things marketed as closed like the Denons.

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #975 of 1,494

Quote:
The difference between tyll's review, what hi-fi, my review AND many of the reviews on headfi is simple.

You can see clearly from tyll's review that he's been in the hunt for closed and isolating headphones. He's tried many, but been dissapointed all too often. What hi-fi reviews main theme is that these are a closed isolating indoor phone that really break the trend of other closed backs. That is also my main point.

But many here can't seem to grasp that concept. The only way you can is if you yourself have a real need for a closed back, isolating and non leaking headphone. If not, then screw you and the k550. Many experienced headfiers with ultra high end open headphones have tried to find a closed isolating headphone that they can enjoy, and many have simply given up. There is not much out there. I remember loosely following skylabs hunt for one and it included many from the dt770/600, beyer t70 and ending up with the ed8- with isolation being among the most important of it's characteristics. 

I don't find the K550 to be any better isolating than the Z1000, which sounds much more enjoyable IMO. The best "truly" closed headphones I've used however is the Ultrasone Signature Pro, followed by the Edition 8. Both are far and away better than the K550 and both isolate better (again IMO), but I realize cost is a factor with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back