AKG K550 - NEW!!
Feb 21, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #946 of 1,494

Quote:
63 pages and I didn't see any formal reviews!!
Are there none?

I'm thinking of acquiring these... just to check them out (probably buy them from Crutchfield just in case...)

You're a 940 fan so you'll love them!

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #947 of 1,494
With the search function got to see a couple of reviews and notes from a couple of head-fi'ers... Might get them since I haven't heard any AKG offering. Was hoping to find something similar to my recently sold AT-A900Xs but more comfortable! :p

If they are as "anemic" as the 940s, not sure if I should bite though... hmmmm...

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #948 of 1,494
Change of plans.
The local Music Store guy (a friend of mine by now! lol) told me he already tried them but didn't like them! LOL (He is the one who loaned me the KRK headphones!) But he has one of those 701s so I'll try those and check on the 'AKG' sound signature with those.

No money spending this time! :wink:

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #949 of 1,494
Hi all

Just to note if you have a really narrow head (like me), these may not be for you as the band doesn't exert much pressure at all.

Selling mine here to UK peeps: http://www.head-fi.org/t/597518/fs-akg-k550-in-london-1-week-old

Have to say though these sound remarkably open for closed cans. Also have to say bass has greater presence than other AKGs - helpful though to have the bass switch on the Fiio e10...

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #950 of 1,494

If anyone is looking to match them with a portable amp and wants to try a really clean alternative to
 Fiio for little cash -

Audio Technica PHA-10

Quite under rated on here for easy to drive units like the Shure 840, M50, K550 and the entry level Grados.

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #951 of 1,494
I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but Headroom just posted a graph:

Not a fan of them due to signature preferences, but I imagine there will be a lot of people out there that will love them.

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #953 of 1,494
Yeah, barf...

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #955 of 1,494
There's this too: 
normal_smile%20.gif

Found the K550 kind of thin sounding out of any amp and not clear enough for a $300 headphone.
Seemed to have this weird tonality that I remember hearing on the Creative Aurvana Live and ZX700. Kind of hard to describe. Sort of as if instruments sound a bit "off".
I disliked it enough to not give it 200 hours of burn-in, so I was hardly fair with it..BTW I did like it's bass a lot.

Can't say it enough, but it does a few things so much better than any other closed headphone. I just have no use for it.
It's mids were kind of lacking for me..somehow.

It actually sounds closer to a DT-880 than a Q701 or K702. Seems like it's focus was bass and treble and mids not as much.
Weird thinking that the SRH-940 and Q701 was actually much warmer and had fuller sounding mids
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #956 of 1,494
The SRH-940 have amazing mid's. That is not a secret. Just a shy bass but work's well with vocal and acoustic music IME. Could be more comfortable.

Quote:
There's this too: 
normal_smile%20.gif

Found the K550 kind of thin sounding out of any amp and not clear enough for a $300 headphone.
Seemed to have this weird tonality that I remember hearing on the Creative Aurvana Live and ZX700. Kind of hard to describe. Sort of as if instruments sound a bit "off".
I disliked it enough to not give it 200 hours of burn-in, so I was hardly fair with it..BTW I did like it's bass a lot.

Can't say it enough, but it does a few things so much better than any other closed headphone. I just have no use for it.
It's mids were kind of lacking for me..somehow.

It actually sounds closer to a DT-880 than a Q701 or K702. Seems like it's focus was bass and treble and mids not as much.
Weird thinking that the SRH-940 and Q701 was actually much warmer and had fuller sounding mids
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #957 of 1,494
From Tyll at Innerfidelity.com:

"Speaking of much better sealed headphones at the $300 price point, holy guacamole, the new AKG K550 is spectacular! It measures pretty well, but sounds way better than it measures. Just a bit of an artificial treble, but other than that, eargasmically good. I reckon it's Wall of Fame bound."

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #958 of 1,494

Quote:
From Tyll at Innerfidelity.com:

"Speaking of much better sealed headphones at the $300 price point, holy guacamole, the new AKG K550 is spectacular! It measures pretty well, but sounds way better than it measures. Just a bit of an artificial treble, but other than that, eargasmically good. I reckon it's Wall of Fame bound."

I saw that and I was very surprised. I actually figured he may hate them due to their treble. Hopefully he gets a chance to review them since I think the K550 deserves it.
It hasn't really gotten a lot of attention around here.

Based on memory it felt like they had even more treble than the SRH-940, but I could be wrong.

Mar 3, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #960 of 1,494
Hmm, these sound like what I was looking for. Nice highs, smooth audible mids, and a nice bass that isn't overwhelming. (as much as I like the bass on the D2000s) If I'm not digging the D2000s (unamped, I've heard amping helps) so far because I feel like I've lost sound clarity, do you think I'd like these? My previous cans were the HD 280 Pros and those weren't great but I feel like I could pick individual instruments out better than with my Denons. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back