AKG K501 love...
Feb 7, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #76 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
How are the K501s for rock music? These are on my list, especially at the 130 dollar price. Also, how do they sound unamped or with a CMoy?

In my very humble opinion the 501s are much better at Classical than rock, also in my opinion they are a bit of a bugger to drive. I have a 9V amp coming soon and hope to try that but I felt that my 2.4V PA2V2 was not quite up to the job - as for unamped I guess that would depend on the source.
Unamped I can get a listenable volume at full volume with the pathetic output from my Panasonic SLCT570 but is pretty honky, sounds okayish with Handel but somewhat less acceptable with Led Zeppelin and the vocals are a bit shrieky to the point where I have to turn the volume down - the usual disclaimers apply - my ears my source my cds my taste. Still I had expected *far* worse - just goes to show.

Edit: Just connected my PA2V1 to the Panasonic Line out - still a bit honky but more bass and actually not at all bad if you dont pump the volume up too much but I dont think it is really doing the 501s justice.

Feb 7, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #77 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
Well, I was wrong about that. There's one posted from yesterday for $100 plus shipping.
basshead.gif

Nahh, I am selling mine (the black pads). Wonder what reasonable price to sell.

I actually advetised for USD 120 but no sale. Maybe should lower down. This phones don't sell well in a market that doesn't cater much to headphones
frown.gif
....I'm referring to my location, not the US.

Feb 8, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #78 of 1,177
Similar to the tape mod, I stuck some tennis overgrip over the cups. They are thicker than tape, less sticky and looks nicer. Bass impact goes through the roof
basshead.gif
I was about to return these but now I'm not so sure. These are seriously rockin now. The gain in bass is much more than the difference between old pads and bassy pads. I dare say they have more bass than DT880s (from memory).

Feb 10, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #80 of 1,177
Let me just say that I'm loving my 501s as well. If you haven't seen my other thread, I got the brown ring pad version. The bass is quite nice, especially in relation to what I had expected. The clarity is easily equal to, or surpassing my Senns, but with mids that are far warmer, but not "mushy" or "clingy". The are quite revealing of the recording. I can sometimes actually hear distortion in the recording chain.

My one (minor) complain is that the pads squeak when I move my head or jaw. Maybe it's because I have a beard and they're rubbing against it. I'm really wanting the 701/601 velour pads to replace them.

Feb 10, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #82 of 1,177
Where did you buy the AKG 501s with the new pads from? They have always been nearly ideal except for the slightly less than neutral-sounding bass. It sounds like the new pads may really help.

Does anyone know, does headroom sell the ones with the new pads or the old pads? Are the ones with the old pads generally out of the retailer pipeline by now? Are some people still buying them and getting the old pads? Because I would really be interested in a pair with the new pads.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
Let me just say that I'm loving my 501s as well. If you haven't seen my other thread, I got the brown ring pad version. The bass is quite nice, especially in relation to what I had expected. The clarity is easily equal to, or surpassing my Senns, but with mids that are far warmer, but not "mushy" or "clingy". The are quite revealing of the recording. I can sometimes actually hear distortion in the recording chain.

My one (minor) complain is that the pads squeak when I move my head or jaw. Maybe it's because I have a beard and they're rubbing against it. I'm really wanting the 701/601 velour pads to replace them.

Feb 10, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #83 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve999
Where did you buy the AKG 501s with the new pads from? They have always been nearly ideal except for the slightly less than neutral-sounding bass. It sounds like the new pads may really help.

Does anyone know, does headroom sell the ones with the new pads or the old pads? Are the ones with the old pads generally out of the retailer pipeline by now? Are some people still buying them and getting the old pads? Because I would really be interested in a pair with the new pads.
smily_headphones1.gif

I got mine from HeadRoom. I don't know if it's hit or miss, or if that's the production run they have. I just know that when I took off the pads, there was the brown ring. Perhaps once the pads break in some more they'll stop squeaking on my head, but I still want to hear those 601/701 velour pads (as well as feel them!!).

Feb 13, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #84 of 1,177
Got my k501s yesterday and i have to say that they sound beautiful!! James Blunt has never sounded so good!! I love em to death
340smile.gif
<-need a k501 smile

Feb 13, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #85 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
Got my k501s yesterday and i have to say that they sound beautiful!! James Blunt has never sounded so good!! I love em to death
340smile.gif
<-need a k501 smile

Welcome to Team K501!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #86 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
I don't have camera so no pix
frown.gif

Any racket overgrip will do.. I'm using these http://www.tenniscompany.com/grip_Yonex_overgrip.html
(black ones)

Cut to shape and stick them on, no glue required. Totally reversible. Improvement to bass impact is not subtle at all.

you taped the grip outside the pad like grado tape modded???

Mar 2, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #87 of 1,177
Just got the K501 today.

They are quite surprising being the only headphones I've ever tried that sound truly smooth and relaxing. Music never sounded so clean before.

Very nice headphones indeed. Kudos to AKG for making such unpretentious headphones.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
My best purchase after a long time.

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #88 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er
Just got the K501 today.

They are quite surprising being the only headphones I've ever tried that sound truly smooth and relaxing. Music never sounded so clean before.

Very nice headphones indeed. Kudos to AKG for making such unpretentious headphones.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
My best purchase after a long time.

Can't you feel the love grow? These are simply unbeatable at their current price. I absolutely "love" listening with these cans - everything really is so "right", especially with what I've been listening to most lately (late 50s on up jazz). Welcome to Team AKG 501 Love!

Mar 2, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #89 of 1,177
Thanks
biggrin.gif
Though I don't really listen to jazz, I really love listening to these phones for alternative music.

I thought I gave up on "laid back" headphones after trying several Senns, but these things are so laid-back and at the same time sound so good...

A real eye opener
eek.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #90 of 1,177
lol i didnt realise you could take the pads off! just tried it for kicks...at first i thought i was going to break them!!! hmm cheap egg carton plastic covering the diaphram? lol sounds good but!

anyone tried listening to them without the pads? Its quite interesting i think...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back