AKG K501 love...
Feb 5, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #61 of 1,177
Just thought it worth noting this thread is getting WAY off topic (AKG K501 love, a.k.a. appreciation thread).

Feb 5, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #62 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Just thought it worth noting this thread is getting WAY off topic (AKG K501 love, a.k.a. appreciation thread).

Agreed. So who do you think is going to win the superbowl?

(j/k...I don't even like football)

Feb 5, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #63 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Agreed. So who do you think is going to win the superbowl?

(j/k...I don't even like football)

LOL... me either, too slow a game.

Anyway, listening to a new CD on my K501s (Tim Heintz, 'Lost and Found' - smooth jazz) and it's sounding pretty good
smily_headphones1.gif
. Bit of digital clipping in the peaks, but what else is new with today's music
rolleyes.gif

Edit -- this is a pretty crappily recorded CD fwiw (and the music rather sucks too)... not recommended. The K501s can be almost as revealing as my DT880s sometimes.

Feb 5, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #64 of 1,177
I love AKG 501's and I don't even have them yet. $129 shipped for what most say is the best set of cans in the world for listening to vintage jazz. Yow! They will be on my head Monday night. How is that for luv and appreciation?

Feb 5, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #65 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I disagree.

My comment on the phones sometimes sounding the same is just a reaction to sensory overload. The AKG, Senns and Grados are all unique, but listening to their timbre and harmonic quality which are all excellent, they are in that regard similar.

Feb 5, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #66 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
oi, im not familiar with the signature of the cans let along know how they are supposed to sound like with swapped pads.
smily_headphones1.gif

from my recollection one is cloth and the other is velour, the dimensios and distance seemed to be the same, how is this supposed to effect sound signature? the driver distance are the same, and they both seem to have the same breathing room with same porous composition? grados are effected because the distance between the driver and the ears are dramatically changed between the flats and bowls.

To continue with the K501 appreciation thread.
Still curious about the pad swap, I know they fit from my contact with AKG and some other posts.
I’ve been doing some experimenting on my Grados with velour wraps and would love to try the K601 or even better the K701 pads on my K501’s.

Feb 6, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #67 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob80b
I’ve been doing some experimenting on my Grados with velour wraps and would love to try the K601 or even better the K701 pads on my K501’s.

The design of the fitting rings around the pads would have to be exactly the same, and somehow I doubt that's the case. Awaiting word though, it would indeed be an interesting swap if they did fit.

Feb 6, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #69 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8
I love AKG 501's and I don't even have them yet. $129 shipped for what most say is the best set of cans in the world for listening to vintage jazz. Yow! They will be on my head Monday night. How is that for luv and appreciation?

Is the USD 129 for a new set or second hand? I want to find a reasonable second hand price
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #70 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
Is the USD 129 for a new set or second hand? I want to find a reasonable second hand price
smily_headphones1.gif

This is the new price from Todd's and HeadRoom (no shipping charge). Not sure that you could pick up a pair used for less seeing as how this marks a drastic price drop. In fact, no other online stores that carry these, as far as I have found, have dropped to this price. Some are still showing 501s at $199 or so.

I doubt you'll see used 501s for sale here for awhile, though obviously I could be wrong. $129 is a great price. I'm interested in seeing what a set of 601/701 cushions would do for the 501s (and what they would cost
tongue.gif
).

Feb 6, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #71 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
I doubt you'll see used 501s for sale here for awhile, though obviously I could be wrong. $129 is a great price. I'm interested in seeing what a set of 601/701 cushions would do for the 501s (and what they would cost
tongue.gif
).

Well, I was wrong about that. There's one posted from yesterday for $100 plus shipping.
basshead.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #72 of 1,177
Feb 6, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #75 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
Well, I was wrong about that. There's one posted from yesterday for $100 plus shipping.
basshead.gif

And its mine, its mine i tell you!
icon10.gif
Gotta love team akg. Now 2 more big ones, the k701 and k1000 and i will have completed my akg best collection.
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back