AKG K501 love...
Feb 4, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #49 of 1,177
oi, im not familiar with the signature of the cans let along know how they are supposed to sound like with swapped pads.
smily_headphones1.gif

from my recollection one is cloth and the other is velour, the dimensios and distance seemed to be the same, how is this supposed to effect sound signature? the driver distance are the same, and they both seem to have the same breathing room with same porous composition? grados are effected because the distance between the driver and the ears are dramatically changed between the flats and bowls.

Feb 4, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #50 of 1,177
yep, I remember RnB's rant about the crappiness of the SR80s with Cmoy, and how it was your biggest headphone purchase ever. Now you've got what? recabled 580/600/650 and woodied 580/600s, AKGs, SA5000 (?) and more... hehe...
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 4, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #52 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Thats probably the reason why many headfiers have several headphones.
However that is not a choice for many others. As these are fairly expensive. and to own more then 2 would be out of hte question for most people. Let alone finding a reason for spending $200 on one headphone.

When I first started the hobby, I was just flabberghasted and never thought Id ever be able to own 650s and an amp, so I picked up the sr-80s. Which I already thought were damn expensive for headphones.

LOL! I fell like I have regressed since getting into Head Fidelity from Hi End Hi Fidelity. Spending a few hundred dollars at a time vs. spending a few thousand dollars at a time. This hobby is laughably cheap in comparison. My 501's are on the way from Montana. I've wasted more money on a dinner for 2 and have nothing to show for it.

Feb 4, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #53 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Thats probably the reason why many headfiers have several headphones.
However that is not a choice for many others. As these are fairly expensive. and to own more then 2 would be out of hte question for most people. Let alone finding a reason for spending $200 on one headphone.

When I first started the hobby, I was just flabberghasted and never thought Id ever be able to own 650s and an amp, so I picked up the sr-80s. Which I already thought were damn expensive for headphones.

Ah yes, but who needs such things as food, clothing, etc? I mean, really, let's set our priorities!!
580smile.gif

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #54 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob80b
and at some point.. they all..... sort of sound the same...

I disagree.

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #55 of 1,177
Quote:

I just tried my grado pads on my K501's

How did you attach your Grado pads to the K501? Glue/tape?

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #56 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
EDIT: I was wrong... it's counterclockwise to remove with both earcups, if you're looking directly at the cup with the pad facing you.

I have tried this several times on both sides of my K601's and I feel if I use anymore force I'll rip the velour. Maybe the K601's are different.

RnB did you try removing the pads on you K601 already? Maybe I am doing something wrong. Fewtch, you are grasping the pad material itself (kind of pushing on it) and twisting it counterclockwise, while holding the plastic cup still with the other hand correct?

It is hard to see, but the 'hole' in the pad is misaligned with the actual driver:

misaligned.jpg

Feb 4, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #57 of 1,177
Quote:

and at some point.. they all..... sort of sound the same...

Heh, I agree but good luck finding somebody who has spent $xxx+ on this hobby that agrees. Though I only have two low-end headphones at the moment (SR-80s and A500s), I personally consider them their sound to be so close that the point becomes moot. Biggest differences are bass and comfort; everything else is the last 5% or so (And it is so hard to compare the different sounds because you immediately notice the more prominent (or "bloated") low end in the A500s, so you don't know if you are actually comparing the highs or the lows with the highs. YMMV).

Since these cans are so cheap now, and since I've been so curious as to what the heck a good midrange sounds like, I might pick these up soon. However, could somebody help describe what is a "good, silky, etc." midrange? I think one big problem I'm having is actually finding out what is the midrange in actual songs; everything seems like a big mesh, with only the low end standing out. The only way I was able to experiment with midrange was messing around with the EQ in winamp and boosting the midrange frequencies, but that sounded a little weird (It sounded like the less prominent and insignificant parts of songs were brought forward; as if they were supposed to be recessed in the background and not be that forward).

Feb 4, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #58 of 1,177
how can you not notice the difference between sr80 and a500
eek.gif
the presentation is totally different...

midrange is the 'soul' of music, vocals and most instruments are in it. grado's have forward mids, a500 has a bit recessed mids, neither are 'silky smooth'

Feb 4, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #59 of 1,177
I notice a difference, but it's definetly not as big of a difference as people make it out to be. It's like moving speakers closer to you. The A500s are like having speakers a bit farther away to have acoustic effects, while the SR-80s are simply like having the speakers closer to you. Everything sounds the same (Save for the bass), the sound is just a little "farther away" and acoustic with the A500s, while the sound with the SR-80s has no depth. Basically, A500s have soundstage and bass, SR-80s don't (Though that's not saying I prefer the A500s over the SR-80s. The headphones are so close that I have a tough time deciding which one I like, or for that matter, pointing out sonic differences not related to soundstage or bass). That's the only sonic difference I notice. It seems like the headphones in this hobby will all be this close to each other unless I compare something like the SR-80s to the RS-1s or A500s to W5000s. YMMV, not trying to heat things up here
smily_headphones1.gif

So, silky mids are neither forward nor recessed?
confused.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #60 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
I notice a difference, but it's definetly not as big of a difference as people make it out to be. It's like moving speakers closer to you. The A500s are like having speakers a bit farther away to have acoustic effects, while the SR-80s are simply like having the speakers closer to you. Everything sounds the same (Save for the bass), the sound is just a little "farther away" and acoustic with the A500s, while the sound with the SR-80s has no depth. Basically, A500s have soundstage and bass, SR-80s don't (Though that's not saying I prefer the A500s over the SR-80s. The headphones are so close that I have a tough time deciding which one I like, or for that matter, pointing out sonic differences not related to soundstage or bass). That's the only sonic difference I notice. It seems like the headphones in this hobby will all be this close to each other unless I compare something like the SR-80s to the RS-1s or A500s to W5000s. YMMV, not trying to heat things up here
smily_headphones1.gif

So, silky mids are neither forward nor recessed?
confused.gif

I think the problem you have is your ears. Time to trade them in for better ones!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back