AKG K501 love...
Aug 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #721 of 1,177

Quote:
... For my music they're a good match. It'll be nice to compare them to my HD-598. ...

I wonder if you'll come to the same conclusion as me -- my HD595 (ok not quite the same, but very similar) hit eBay the same day as my first K501 arrived after a few listening tests. Instruments and vocals were just so much smoother and clearer that for me there was no contest at all. I had a HD650 for a while as well, but they didn't survive either :)

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #722 of 1,177

Quote:
... Congratulations with the K501, I'm on the lookout for a pair myself. They are very rare indeed in Australia.

They definitely are now! I was lucky enough to find 2 virtually NIB pairs on Australian eBay over the last few years, but they are few and far between. Still sometimes wish I hadn't sold one of them.

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #723 of 1,177

Quote:

I wonder if you'll come to the same conclusion as me -- my HD595 (ok not quite the same, but very similar) hit eBay the same day as my first K501 arrived after a few listening tests. Instruments and vocals were just so much smoother and clearer that for me there was no contest at all. I had a HD650 for a while as well, but they didn't survive either :)

I had the modded HD-555 and it's said to be similar to the HD-595. I highly doubt this is true, but who knows! IMO my modded HD-555 never sounded anything like my HD-598. I really disliked the HD-555, but love the HD-598! It just makes music so much fun to listen to. Doesn't have a lot of bass, but those forward mids are addicting. Once I recabled my HD-598 with Mogami it was even better. The sound really cleared up and detail was improved. The signature remained the same of course.

So far from what I can tell is that the 598 has more forward mids (but not upper mids), smaller/worse soundstage and less treble AND bass. I don't know why, but my K501 has very, very good bass. Every time I hear it I'm surprised. I don't know if it's just great amp synergy or what. I did some searches on my amp and the K501 (Headroom Micro Amp) and I've read that the crossfeed may add a little bass however this is possible. I just know it sounds very good with the K501. Can't imagine it getting any better. I'll have to try it with my E9, but I image the bass will go out the window, or maybe not.

I think my recabled HD-598 could beat the K501 when it comes to detail. Neither are detail monsters, but still quite good and fairly forgiving. Might be able to compete when it comes to overall sound clarity, but I highly doubt it.

The sound of my K501 is very clear, but not as super clear as the K702, but these were originally $120 headphones right?

I found out that mine are the V.1. Based on what people described them as, it doesn't match up with what I'm hearing. The V.1 are said to have a smaller soundstage and less bass. Mine actually has more bass than the K601 and even more bass impact. Very strange. Could be the amp. I tried them with my Onkyo receiver last night and they just didn't sound the same. I was kind of surprised how high I had to turn up the volume.

BTW I tried the K601 pads on them and immediately disliked them. It seems to do something to the mids I didn't like. It just seemed to change the stock signature a tad too much. My pair definitely doesn't need this. Could be my imagination so I'll need to experiment more.

So it's safe to say the K501 is now one of my favorites. I don't know why, but when I listen to specific music it reminds me of how it sounded on the ATH-AD2000. Not sure why. Loved that headphone, but not the pads. I'd buy it again if I found out W5000 or W1000X pads fit.

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #724 of 1,177
I believe the K501 was originally a $200 MSRP headphone, but in the last years of its production it was cleared out at $99 (this was sometime around 2006, IIRC). Around 2002-2003 or so was when they switched to the V3 latest model, I think.

I had the chance to compare a V1 and V3 (middle production vs. late production) and the V3 has "more" midbass, but subbass and impact between the two models is very similar. Otherwise they were pretty much indistinguishable to my ears. Besides the bass, any differences were quite subtle, and I didn't really spend enough time to get into the nitty-gritty - plus, I didn't really care, both of them sounded so good. I only sold the V1 because my V3 is cosmetically damaged and wouldn't sell for as much, but sounds just fine.

I don't think I would compare it to the AD2000, though - that was more of a mid-oriented and aggressive headphone, compared to the smooth and silky K501.

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #725 of 1,177
The resonating treble of the K701 is often percieved as more detailed. The K501 has less of those tendencies and is in my opinion more true to the recordings. Can often be found for $80-100 on ebay, a real bargain.

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #726 of 1,177
I just purchased my NOS pair of K501 off EBay.  Looking forward to comparing them to the K400 and K500 which are both good contenders for their respective ages.  Does anyone else currently feel some love for their K501?  
wink.gif

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Oct 22, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #727 of 1,177
Looking forward to your impressions. I initially thought the K401 and K501 - and the K400/K500 - was the "same" headphone but in different clothing (the upper models with leather headband, gold/silver trimmings etc) but I've found that all four of them have different sound signatures. And, it would seem, different drivers too. The Kx00 has a different baffle compared to the Kx01 as well.

The K501 is the smoothest, the K400 has the largest sound stage, the K401 is a bit forward, the K500's leaning towards the neutral. All interesting and hard to beat at the price. Have to give them some more hours to learn their true nature, though.

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #729 of 1,177
Expecting another K401 to arrive, going to be interesting to compare the baffles. The K501 has three different baffles (size and number of filter covered holes varying) that affects sound stage and bass response:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/227052/official-akg-k501-version-count/45

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #730 of 1,177
I still prefer my K501 for Jazz, acoustic bass sounds so darn natural... only for classical piano I prefer my GS1000, for extra detail and deeper bass..
At one point i almost sold them, but listening to a cello sonata I changed my mind, thank god.

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #731 of 1,177
@Quinto I like my K501 too, I got it from an ex AKG stuff member

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #732 of 1,177
I got my K501 a week or so ago from another member in pretty much new condition and recabled to a dual entry and 1/4 inch plug instead of an 1/8 and adapter to 1/4. I like it a good amount and reminds me a bit of the K601 and the comfort is great although I think I like the K601 pads better but no longer have them. I'm pretty surprised how hard to drive it is but my amp doesn't have a problem with them. They lack some detail and extension but at the price it's not much to complain about.

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #733 of 1,177

Quote:
Expecting another K401 to arrive, going to be interesting to compare the baffles. The K501 has three different baffles (size and number of filter covered holes varying) that affects sound stage and bass response:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/227052/official-akg-k501-version-count/45

It'd be nice to hear your take on the two versions. I compared them side-by-side (see the last post in that thread) but the difference was not really that large, they were both still K501s.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #734 of 1,177
The K401 will be the only one of the K40X, and K50X series I don't own but I am looking to get another amp first.  My current amp the Bottlehead Crack is better suited for my HD600 which works noticeably better than the K500/K400 which start to sound poor when I turn the volume up on a complex or dynamic part of the song.  Once I get one that is a good match I can properly evaluate the series to find where the strengths and weaknesses are.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back