Akg K400
Jul 17, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #286 of 394
Quote:
Really? Where? That's excluding postage right? With postage included, are they still under 100USD?

When I looked at Ebay.de at the closed listings this year, the end biddings were between 20,- and 62,- Euro, excluding shippingcosts.
Shippingcosts will vary and not everyone is willing to ship outside his/her country.

Jul 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #289 of 394
A K 400 in good condition as a BIN for 69 euros sat there for about two weeks before someone took it a few days ago. I considered it as well, but found it too expensive compared to the regular auctions that had been going on. A guy even posted the auction in this thread yet no one cared much.

Jul 17, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #290 of 394
A K 400 in good condition as a BIN for 69 euros sat there for about two weeks before someone took it a few days ago. I considered it as well, but found it too expensive compared to the regular auctions that had been going on. A guy even posted the auction in this thread yet no one cared much.

That's not a bad price for a good condition one. I reckon any good condition ones under 100 bucks are definitely worth it. Very good sounding vintage headphones :wink:

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #292 of 394
Quote:
I'm wondering if the K712 would be a good complimentary headphone for the K400 which is a warm and silky sounding can.

If you didn't like the K400 with Anniversary pads then I doubt it. They're very similar. This is of course assuming the K712 is basically like a clone of the K702 65th Anniversary.

Have you heard the Q701? IMO it's better than the Annie and K702/K601. The K712/Annie is too warm to me and doesn't sound that clear.

My time right now is split between the K400 and Q701. The K400 isn't as warm and is a lot more airy sounding and with a larger soundstage. It's mids are a little more lean with stock pads. Q701 is a little clearer but there is something addicting about the K400 mids.

To me the K400 only seems warm in comparison to the K702.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #293 of 394
I got mine for $100. Felt like a good deal at the time since the K501 was going for like $300 mint at the time.
I think the person who sold it to me didn't like it because it was too bass light. This pair sort of is with stock pads but I still like it. It feels like it rolls off at like 100hz
confused_face_2.gif

I kind of notice that there is a HUGE variations on the K400 between how warm and not warm recordings are. This headphone doesn't magically add warmth to some recordings like other headphones do.
Even my Q701 probably adds a little warmt to recordings, but not enough to ruin or color songs too much.

BTW for some reason crossfeed on my amp really is nice for the K400. Seems to add a touch of warmth. I'm using stock pads for me (the kind with the brown inner foam).

This pair I've owned twice. I traded it away to someone a year ago and got it back again.

This time around it sounds much better. Not sure why. I think maybe my HRT MSII was making it mids sound too forward. Luckily I got rid of that and switched to the ODAC/Modi.

Not sure how common this is but I prefer this to the K501. This K400 sounds like a slightly more energetic K501 with a little more treble. People say the K400 has rolled off treble, but it actually sounds like it has more than my Q701.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #294 of 394
I like the Annie pads on my K400. They add a bit of body and impact to the lower frequencies which is nice to have for most genres of music. Compared to the K500, K1000 and K240DF I found the K400 to be the least neutral. I've never tired a Q701 or K701 but owned the K601 and K702 previously and ended up liking the older AKG headphones more.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Aug 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #295 of 394
Just scored a K400 in very good condition with box from Amazon for $69. Beat you all too it! Usually the K500 and K400 are sold there for like $999 for whatever reason.
I'm hoping I don't get ripped off. It will be my second pair since I like the first so much. First pair I paid $90 for I think..or maybe $100.

Wanted a second one because the cable on this pair is like a snake and way too long. Mine has the plastic headband too.

Feeling guilty about buying it. I shouldn't be buying headphones right now!

Kind of sad seeing some previously listed on Ebay with box with zero bids. I think they're worth as much as $200. Seems like they usually go for $75-$100 without box.

Just found that there is a K300. Wonder what that sounds like..

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #298 of 394
Quote:
I got mine a few months ago for about 40 shipped from Germany
smily_headphones1.gif

Pretty good deal! Unfortunately I don't have a Paypal account so my options are very limited. No Ebay for me unless they stopped forcing Paypal on you.
Who knows..maybe this pair will sound better than the one I already have.

I still miss the old K601..

Have to say that I prefer the K400 to the K501. If I had to choose between the K601 and K400 I probably couldn't do it. K601 seems like it's a slightly better "all rounder". K400 is more fun to listen to though.

K400 has the edge for female vocals and I think that's a big reason I love the K400. My K400 also doesn't seem to add extra warmth to recordings. Only if it's supposed to be in there. This is with stock pads though.
I rarely hear this in headphones and even my Q701 and HD-598 add a little warmth to every recording, but barely noticeable. I've noticed with the K400 there's much more variation in recordings compared to the Q701. Not sure why.
I haven't heard such major variations in recording quality since I had my first DT-880. Not even sure I know what I'm talking about.

Also..the K400 can sound really shouty with the wrong amp/dac. I don't mean due to lack of power. It was pretty awful with the HRT MSII. Very ear piercing in some range. Probably upper mids. Perfect with the ODAC and Modi and now it's very smooth most of the time. Not really laid back, but really fun to listen to. Sort of how I remember the SR-225i. K400 doesn't have that kind of treble though. I think mine might have a little more treble than some of the other versions, but not sure. I think I read that about the plastic headband version.

The K400 seems to have a much more airyness to the sound and a bigger soundstage than the Q701. Based on memory the K501 had a bigger soundstage but I don't think I ever did an A/B comparison.Luckily with that huge soundstage nothing ever sounds distant if it's not supposed to be that way. Vocals never feel distant and can sound upfront if they're supposed to sound that way.

BTW it'd be interesting to compare the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000 to the K400. I'd love to find a clone of the AD2000 that didn't have terrible pads. There's something special about that headphone and I doubt the AD900 is very close in sound.

Still need to try the K340 and K240 DF sometime. I HATED the Sextett LP I had. Something must have been wrong with mine. Had a real lack of treble and always sounded muffled.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #299 of 394
Quote:
Just found that there is a K300. Wonder what that sounds like..

AKG guru Fitz wrote that they are best to be avoided, not good sounding at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back