Akg K400
May 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #256 of 394
BTW I think the docked Ipod Touch 2G is a poor match for the K400. I don't know why, but that thing sounds much too "cold and analytical".
I often use it in my bedroom, but I prefer the Schiit Modi. The Schiit Magni + docked Ipod Touch 2G is unbearably bad IMO.

Apparently the Ipod Touch 2G measures very well but I prefer how the old Wolfson Ipod Classic 3G sounds. Has the same opamps as the Cowon Iaudio 7.

I bet a Fiio E17 would be nice for the K400. I need to try that as a DAC.

So far I've went from HRT MSII > ODAC > Modi.

MSII added warmth to everything. Not too much, but more than most of the Wolfson DACs did. Some people might like that.

May 29, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #257 of 394
My source is an iMac playing AIFF files via my Halide DAC HD into my Bottlehead SEX 2.1.  I think its a great combo and the SEX amp powers the K400 or any other lower impedance headphone with ease.  The K400 is definitely a colored headphone so I would not call it neutral like the K500 or K240DF which are great examples of neutrality.  I will say the K400 is very natural and organic sounding with its powerful mids being the highlight of its sound signature. 

I dont expect the K400 to win for critical listening where I'm trying to pick out all the bits and pieces of a recording which is where the K240DF is excellent but when I want to sit back relax and let the music move me I'll grab my K400.  

More recently I have been looking into the K612 which I'm hoping will maintain the good characteristics of the K400 but have better resolution and speed.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jul 3, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #260 of 394
They would all fit. You can also cut off the plastic frame of the old earpads and fit things like hifiman or better earpads

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #261 of 394
This is an forever amazing headphone. Got a few, and similar AKGs. This is my latest experience:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/389381/review-audiotailor-jade-vacuum-tube-headphone-amplifier/885#post_9582898

Stefan

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #262 of 394
This is an forever amazing headphone. Got a few, and similar AKGs. This is my latest experience:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/389381/review-audiotailor-jade-vacuum-tube-headphone-amplifier/885#post_9582898

Stefan

Yeah, I've listened to my friend's k401, it sounded amazing, the mids are so smooth!

I can't wait to listen to my k400 once that same friend has repaired the cables on it :wink:

My next target is either the k601 or k612. I think they will sound awesome too!

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #263 of 394
Just got this late K400 from Germany (the leather headband version) and listened to the Boulez NYPO Ionisation & Ameriques recordings and I haven't heard sound stage of this beauty as far a I can remember. Clean tube stages all through: Guanzo Matisse preamp, Audiotailor Jade headphone amp. 6N3P, 7021 and 6AS7G.

What dynamics!

Jul 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #264 of 394
Just got this late K400 from Germany (the leather headband version) and listened to the Boulez NYPO Ionisation & Ameriques recordings and I haven't heard sound stage of this beauty as far a I can remember. Clean tube stages all through: Guanzo Matisse preamp, Audiotailor Jade headphone amp. 6N3P, 7021 and 6AS7G.

What dynamics!

Just curious where you got the k400 from?

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #265 of 394
ebay.de

They appear regularly. This was the leather headband version with the late plug, black plastic/gold (early all metal plug). There are also three or four different drivers, this one sounds the best to me.

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #266 of 394
ebay.de

They appear regularly. This was the leather headband version with the late plug, black plastic/gold (early all metal plug). There are also three or four different drivers, this one sounds the best to me.

They look pretty good. I'll post a picture of mine with the new cable my friend fixed for me when I get it back from him :wink:

Jul 6, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #268 of 394
Quote:
I'd be interested in comparing my early production version to the later version with the leather headband.

From what I remember, the early production had a sharper, more lively and upbeat tone. Tighter bass as well. Better PRaT than the one with the leather headband.

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #270 of 394
Quote:
How do you check whether it's easy early version or not?

Early production: headband not leather, all golden color plug, thinner cable

Later production: leather headband, part of the plug is black, thicker cable, drivers looks different as well.

I'm sure somewhere in this thread are pictures and more description of the differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back