AKG K340 vs Stax Lambda: survey
Oct 25, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #61 of 110
I'm with you too cosmo, except for the OmegaII being my ultimate headphone. It's possible I just haven't heard them in the right rig though.
wink.gif

As for the Lambdas being technically superior, I think that is a matter of opinion. They seem like they have more detail, but it just smacks you across the face more than the K340. They are more airy sounding naturally, but I think the K340's image more accurately. The bass is a tossup for me, though the K340's winout in the mids.

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #63 of 110
I'll vote K340 because of select times when I heard its ability to be absolutely magical (as opposed to lamdas which are very consistent with their upper midrange issues). Most k340s sound like crap though...lots of fixing needed.

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #64 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll vote K340 because of select times when I heard its ability to be absolutely magical (as opposed to lamdas which are very consistent with their upper midrange issues). Most k340s sound like crap though...lots of fixing needed.

Quote:

I abstain from voting.

What made you change your mind?
lambda.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #66 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
philodox and I have been PayPaling bribes.
icon10.gif

I alway knew that cults were dangerous and would stop at nothing.
eggosmile.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #68 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by mapstec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I just shelled out for a pair of K340, who is willing to lend me a set of Stax?

I don't know if any of us frequent Winterthur. However, since you live in der Schweiz, adjusted for local cost of living a pair of Stax should only run about the equivalent of a dinner for four. So tighten your belt and get yourself some Stax already!

Oct 26, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #69 of 110
Well, I said I wasnt going to vote either, but when Steve did, I figgerd what the heck!
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #70 of 110
facelvega,

let me put it this way: answering to this helps me get to the 50 comment line and soon I will be able to sell gear here instead of only buying, and sooner or later I see a pair of Stax in my future.

And btw I work for an American company at European rates, so I never was or will be able to afford a dinner for four here
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 9:21 AM Post #71 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just formulated what I did not like about my K340 very well, I think that is due to the strange reverberation in the low mids and bass.

Off topic:

I think you are the only one with Sennheiser Unipolar 2000 here, how does that sound compared to Lambda and K340?

Very bright... At least with the amps I tried. I can't stand them more than 5 minutes, but they are supposed to sound great on old powerfull tube amps (but I'm more a Class AA FET fan). Or maybe the elecrets have discarged. I just keep it to have a very crappy sounding headphone for comparation.

Oct 28, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #72 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by E.B.M.Head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very bright... At least with the amps I tried. I can't stand them more than 5 minutes, but they are supposed to sound great on old powerfull tube amps (but I'm more a Class AA FET fan). Or maybe the elecrets have discarged. I just keep it to have a very crappy sounding headphone for comparation.

I'm guessing there's something wonky with your pair. I see that you have DT990's in your sig, and my DT990's are far brighter than my K340.

Oct 28, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #73 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing there's something wonky with your pair. I see that you have DT990's in your sig, and my DT990's are far brighter than my K340.

I believe he's talking about the Unipolar 2000, one of the brightest and nasty phones ever made. Not Sennheisers best moment.

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #75 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unipolar 2000 is that bad?? Wow. I am surprised that Sennheisers first foray into electrostatics was so bad.

It was then replaced by the 2002 but I haven't heard them but their reputation is far from being good. The Sennheiser headphones from that era are a bit of a mixed bad with a few good ones and a lot of mediocre products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back