AKG K340 vs Stax Lambda: survey
Oct 22, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #46 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's because Fitz was driving them with his weirdo tin can amp.
evil_smiley.gif

Plus he had 'em on backwards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How dare you call Steve's dual mono Darkvoices a "tin can amp"! You will hurt his feelings.
wink.gif

Why do you think I sold 'em?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #50 of 110
lambda (SR404) for me. I don't know what version of K340 i had, but it had that closed phone coloration that i can't stand.

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #51 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by wang228 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lambda (SR404) for me. I don't know what version of K340 i had, but it had that closed phone coloration that i can't stand.

You had the closed version then.
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #52 of 110
Quote:

How dare you call Steve's dual mono Darkvoices a "tin can amp"! You will hurt his feelings.

LOL, I keep forgetting that.
tongue.gif

What amps have you heard the Lambdas on? Quote:

p.s. I really like the K1000 directly from my weirdo tin can amp, more than my speaker amp, so how's them apples?

I know, just bugging you.
wink.gif
Quote:

I have heard several different K340s, but on all of them the upper midrange / lower treble response is generally not to my liking. Sometimes they sound very good to me when the factors are just right, but I like the sound of the Lambda more often. Neither is one I would really consider my favourites of what I currently have, though.

Well, you're allowed to have an opinion that differs from mine... I suppose.
340smile.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by wang228 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but it had that closed phone coloration that i can't stand.

That's weird. They do have some isolation, and the great imaging that you sometimes find in closed headphones, but I don't find they sound congested or closed in. I've had multiple people comment that the K340 sounds like an open headphone in direct comparison to the HD650. In fact, when Peter McAlister was over one time he mentioned that he preferred my K340's since he can't stand closed headphones... he thought the HD650 were closed and the K340 open.
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #53 of 110
I had a pair of headphiled k340s that I think Voltron has now balanced. They had some serious "magic" to their midrange. However, I like my Sr-Lambda better for everything so far. Other K340s really sucked compared to that one pair. Was not even a close comparison. I had a pair of Bass heavy K340s which were good rock cans but still not anything like Stax.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #54 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What amps have you heard the Lambdas on?

I've heard the Lambda on my old Fisher amp + SRD-7SB, and my SRM-1/Mk2. I forget what I heard the Lambda Pro Signature on.

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #55 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I did not expect this at all

Lambda 13, K340 6

I guess not a lot of K340 fans also had Lambda
blink.gif
Lets see what happens by the end of the week.
lambda.gif

Well, I voted and I've never yet actually owned a Lambda (and definitely not when I also had my K340 around), so you can mentally subtract me if you like. Otherwise, I'm surprised the voting has been almost exactly what I would have guessed. I mean, not a lot can make a respectable showing against hallowed 'stats, and the K340 start in a lower price bracket after all. The question is, how many people have had fully-modded and lavishly amped K340 up against their Lambdas, bringing the price and hopefully performance to a more comparable level? I'd bet the voting would be closer to level then, and more a question of signature preference than of absolute performance.

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #57 of 110
I've owned or still own:
Stax Lambda Pro, Nova Basic, 303
6 X AKG 340, bass heavy, bass light, in between, modded and not modded
(they are growing on trees here ......)

The Lambdas are all certainly technically superior, but at the end of the day what counts is pleasure, and due to their aberrancies in their frequency response (upper midrange, treble) I never enjoyed the Lambdas that much.
It might be an incompatibility with my HRTFs, I don't know.
Listening through Lambdas was always fatiguing after less than an hour and some music was downright unlistenable through them.
Therefor I do prefer a properly modded and amped bass light K340.I also like it better than any of the modern european TOTL headphones.

Having said that I vastly prefer the Omega II to all the headphones mentioned above.The SR-007 does fulfill what the Lambdas promised.

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #58 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned or still own:

The Lambdas are all certainly technically superior, but at the end of the day what counts is pleasure, and due to their aberrancies in their frequency response (upper midrange, treble) I never enjoyed the Lambdas that much.
Listening through Lambdas was always fatiguing after less than an hour and some music was downright unlistenable through them.
Therefor I do prefer a properly modded and amped bass light K340.I also like it better than any of the modern european TOTL headphones.

Having said that I vastly prefer the Omega II to all the headphones mentioned above.The SR-007 does fulfill what the Lambdas promised.

You've summed up my thoughts perfectly!

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #59 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned or still own:

Did you ever try normal bias SR-Lambda? They do not have the same upper midrange as other Lambdas have.
icon10.gif
You might like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back